Orientation / Accelerometer Problems

aluminum

Reaction score
Just got the droid today and for some reason the accelerometer no longer changes the screen when I turn it from horizontal to vertical. Now, if I have the keyboard open, it stays on horizontal mode, but once I close the keyboard it goes to the longer vertical mode. No matter how much I turn the phone around, as long as the keyboard is closed the screen stays vertical.

I have confirmed that the Orientation setting is correct in my settings, and have even turned it on and off just to test.

Is anyone else having this experience or have any solutions? Thanks!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are talking about the home screen, that does not rotate. If you are talking about it doesn't rotate for all the programs, there is an option to turn off the rotation. Menu > Sound & Display Settings = The Orientation Setting.

If neither of those are the problem / solution, you may have to do a soft / hard reset.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Just got the droid today and for some reason the accelerometer no longer changes the screen when I turn it from horizontal to vertical. Now, if I have the keyboard open, it stays on horizontal mode, but once I close the keyboard it goes to the longer vertical mode. No matter how much I turn the phone around, as long as the keyboard is closed the screen stays vertical.

I have confirmed that the Orientation setting is correct in my settings, and have even turned it on and off just to test.

Is anyone else having this experience or have any solutions? Thanks!
thats the way it's supposed to work when on your homescreen. The screen WILL NOT go into landscape mode unless the keyboard is out.

Now if you are browsing the internet or using apps it will orientate.

Is that your only problem iwith orientation is when you are on the homescreen?

OP
A

aluminum

Reaction score
The screen orientation works properly while using the different. Apps. So my prob is with the home screen. I know that its supposed to rotate because it was working the day I bought it and it did it again last night. Many are experiencing this same issue and somone even posted a pic of there homescreen in landscape mode with the keyboard closed! You can see it here... Orientation / Accelerometer Problems - Android Forums

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the thread that was linked, some suggested that it has to do with the number of widgets and apps you have on the homescreen.

Edit- Scratch that. Doesn't seem to matter how many you have.

Try a battery pull and see if it works after that.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It will not do it and its not supposed to. Perhaps the couple that did have a glitch.

Edit: I call BS on those pics. Open keyboard and let screen Orient then shut it. You will notice there is a moment before the screen reorientates itself. Its easy to snap a photo in that time. People will do stuff like that to mess with people and its working : )

Last edited:

joe06gt

Reaction score
I believe in the car dock it switches. person in the photo may have had a magnet under the paper simulating the car dock since i believe that is how it knows it is in one?

Stigy

Reaction score
Home Screen does not auto-rotate to horizontal WITHOUT physical keyboard open. Please enough with these threads.

Can a mod make a sticky saying that the home screen doesn't rotate when phone is rotated without physical keyboard being open...

/thread.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
yeah it's unfortunate that a couple people on another forum can get the masses to believe something is wrong with their device. It's insanity.

Naudi

Reaction score
Its not insane. I purchased mine on 11-6 and my home screen went to landscape without keyboard open. Now it doesnt.

wiz

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I purchased my phone 11/8 and until just recently my home screen DID rotate with the keyboard closed. There are a lot of postings on the Motorola support forums regarding this issue. One user posted the following reply from a Motorola Rep:

Re: DROID : Auto-Landscape on Home Screen - Re-Open
I got a response that satisfied me from Motorola:

"Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

Regarding your concern, please note that i have been doing further researches regarding our yesterday's chat session and the Droid will temporarily not be changing the display mode with the slide closed. This modification is due to the last software update that was sent to this phones. I already forwarded the information on order for the people that takes care of this to be aware of this change and start working on this for the next software update. I do really apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and I really appreciate your interest in this product and the help you have been for us.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA

Thank you for contacting Motorola chat support.

Best Regards,

Federico F."

Information found here:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/63437;jsessionid=B74228E8EBF32B227A24E4BF40CCB0C7.node0

thrifty

Reaction score
Mine does it now... :icon_ banana:

when I tested the Droid in the store I swear it did it.
upon purchasing my Droid it wouldn't go to landscape mode with the keyboard shut... but last night when I pluged in the charger it did it...

so, it's a fact... it "should" go into landscape mode but it seems for most it won't...

ToddP0530

Reaction score
It will go in landscape mode with the slider closed if you're running GDE home replacement. I've been running that for a while and haven't used the regular homescreen. I'll go back and see what happens in 2.01.