Organizing Contacts

dieselpowered

Reaction score
One thing that drives me nuts is that all contact are displayed First Name Last Name.

Is there any way to organize by Company or Lake Name First Name?

Thanks in advance!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you would quickly do last name first but setting up groups is a piece of cake. You do that on line in your gmail account.

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Please forgive my ignorance, however, how does setting up groups make organizing the contact list any easier? I do have contacts in different groups, however, they are not called out any differently in the contact list, am I using them incorrectly? When I go into my contact list, all the contacts are listed regardless of what group they are in?

Thanks again!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, I think I have an answer that will meet your needs. I'm assuming you have a lot of contacts. Try this:

I synch with gmail. I can export my contacts from gmail to a spreadsheet. I can swap the columns for first and last name. I can then import the contacts back in and then they will have the last name in the first name field on my phone....if I wanted them sorted that way. Looks like I also can import/export to my sd card using the options available within the Droid's contact manager too. Too bad there isn't a "sort order" though.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/31890-contact-list-last-name.html

And I'll tell you what. If you need additional help pm christim. He's on our rescue squad and he will be happy to help you.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK, I think I have an answer that will meet your needs. I'm assuming you have a lot of contacts. Try this:

I synch with gmail. I can export my contacts from gmail to a spreadsheet. I can swap the columns for first and last name. I can then import the contacts back in and then they will have the last name in the first name field on my phone....if I wanted them sorted that way. Looks like I also can import/export to my sd card using the options available within the Droid's contact manager too. Too bad there isn't a "sort order" though.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/31890-contact-list-last-name.html

And I'll tell you what. If you need additional help pm christim. He's on our rescue squad and he will be happy to help you.

there I was eating dinner, and then my ears start ringing ;)

You got this one covered Hook. Google has gmail help that shows how to export and import mail contacts. Switch the first name for the last name and you are all set.

Or...download Gesture from the market, which Google also makes. Then you just need to start tracing the letters of the app, contact, song, etc that you are looking for.
RTEmagicC_Android_Gesture_Search_468x374_txdam2047_9e1ef5.jpg.jpg

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Thanks, ya I thought about doing that, however, I really want them sorted by Company name if there is a company name in the appropriate field. Looks like that just cannot be done. With that said, how does putting contacts into different groups really do anything? Can you give me an example?

Thanks again for the response my friend!

** edit **

Thanks Christian, I do have that program...guess I will just have to do it that way :)

** edit again **

Does not look like Gesture looks at the Company Name field though...attempted to find a contact by Company name and it did not work :(

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ya I thought about doing that, however, I really want them sorted by Company name if there is a company name in the appropriate field. Looks like that just cannot be done. With that said, how does putting contacts into different groups really do anything? Can you give me an example?

** edit **

Thanks Christian, I do have that program...guess I will just have to do it that way :)

** edit again **

Does not look like Gesture looks at the Company Name field though...attempted to find a contact by Company name and it did not work :(

I'm taking a long shot on this one but you might try voice searching. Press your search key, then microphone and speak the company name in there.

See I'd try this for you but I don't have anybody under a company name. But there has got to be a way to do this. I use voice search however whenever I make a phone call. I never use the contacts list.

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score

** edit **

** edit again **

I'm taking a long shot on this one but you might try voice searching. Press your search key, then microphone and speak the company name in there.

See I'd try this for you but I don't have anybody under a company name. But there has got to be a way to do this. I use voice search however whenever I make a phone call. I never use the contacts list.
HAHAHA thanks man, already tried that...if I say a Company name, it searches the internet for it. You would think there would be a way, wouldn't you. Thanks again!

mcsinfl

Reaction score
I just opened contracts, hit magnifying glass, started typing in company name, and all contacts from that company showed up in short list to select

mcsinfl

Reaction score
still has to new a way to show company/ sort in contracts like outlook

mcsinfl

Reaction score
I really hope Ford gets it right with the scorpion, interesting design with lots of potential
love the Ford platform, they just need a good diesel. mine is an 04, around 450 hp, 750 torque. working on 700hp over next few years, have an itch to kill every production muscle car in 1/4 mile, nothing like being beaten by a 7500 lb truck lol.

your 6.0 holding up?

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
I had an 03 6.0 but the thing was junk, so in 07 they replaced it with an new 07...had a lot of issues with the high pressure old pump, the head on it was warped thus creating oil leaks...they kept on replacing gaskets but being warped it did not matter. They finally replaced the pump and all has been good. Well up until last week when the fuel pump went out. They replaced it and I am off and running again (for the time being) lol