Opera5 Mini: Isn't it a "browser?"

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Installed the Opera5 Mini (beta) when it became available yesterday. In the past when I've installed alternate browsers (e.g. Dolphin, XScope, Steel) each has shown up in a picklist along with the default browser and allowed me to select one and optionally designate a default.

In the case of Opera5 Mini browser, however, it apparently is not considered to be a "browser" because it doesn't show up in the list. I cannot find a way to add it to that list. The best I can do is to include it in a labeled "folder" with the other browsers.

Anyone know of a work around or a setting I can access to include Opera in this list for a non-rooted Droid?

Purgatory

Reaction score
have you set up to have the default browser to be the default one to open? This might be the cause of it not asking which one you would like to use.

cisco0910

Reaction score
I don't think theres a way yet. It's still in beta. Theres still some fixes they need to do before they release the official app. That being said I love it better then dolphin and the stock and it's only in Beta. It's super duper quick, no blurry scrolling, and easy to use. Can't wait for the official! ! Those of you who wanna test the browser speed...go to droidforums full website and see how quick it loads on opera. impressive!

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there isn't a way to set as default yet

The answer's the same, but just to clarify, I'm not interested in making it my default browser. I would just like the option of using it when a browser is needed by another application. I purposely don't set a "default browser" on my phone. That makes it a bit tedious to have to select which one I want to use every time, but there are times that I want to use a particular browser for a particular purpose. Not setting a default provides that option.

I presume that a developer can actually specify an "application category" in some fashion that would make the application be treated as a "browser," an "input method," a "ring tone selector," etc. I don't think that Opera's status as a "beta" is relevant here except as the Opera developers have decided not to identify their application in that fashion. (Or simply failed to do so.)

Purgatory

Reaction score
Correct, they have failed to identify their program as a browser, hence the problem of trying to associate it as being able to open up a webpage once something asks for what program to use. Others are also having this problem and mention this info outside of droidforums.net

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Correct, they have failed to identify their program as a browser, hence the problem of trying to associate it as being able to open up a webpage once something asks for what program to use. Others are also having this problem and mention this info outside of droidforums.net

Thanks for the confirmation. Checked with a developer friend who confirmed my assumption about how it works, as well. Too bad. Certainly limits the utility of the app at this point.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
anybody know how to get it to trick a website into thinking it is a desktop like Dolphin and the stock browser can? Almost every website i visit just shows the mobile version...no wonder its fast :p

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
anybody know how to get it to trick a website into thinking it is a desktop like Dolphin and the stock browser can? Almost every website i visit just shows the mobile version...no wonder its fast :p

Don't know if it can be done but the whole idea runs counter to the design philosophy of Opera. It sacrifices comprehensive features for performance intentionally and compacts web sites on the Opera server to achieve that performance.