OnePlus Will Jump Over The Unlucky 4 In Favor Of The 5

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When I first heard this rumor regarding the name of the upcoming OnePlus flagship to be released in summer of 2017 I had to check the date to be sure it wasn't an April Fools joke. According to sources OnePlus will be skipping the OnePlus 4 and will jump straight to the OnePlus 5. The reason given for this is that the number 4 is considered to be highly unlucky in China since it closely resembles the word for death. Personally I think it is silly for a company to be so superstitious that they are willing to skip a number possibly causing confusion and devaluing their previous model by making them seem 2 generations older.
Then again this has not been confirmed or denied by OnePlus so we can take it with a grain of salt.

The device whether it be the OnePlus 4 or the OnePlus 5 is also expected to come with a ceramic build, a Snapdragon 835 processor, 6GB of RAM, 5.5" QHD display, and should release with Android Nougat 7.1 out of the box. It is unclear whether OnePlus will actually go with the Snapdragon 835 since it was previously reported they would go with the Snapdragon 830. I think the inclusion of the 835 would make this a much more attractive device since it would have the same processor as competing flagships like the Galaxy S8 at a hopefully much lower price.

via PhoneRadar

Briankbl

Reaction score
This is similar to the rumor about the PlayStation 4 being named something different, and look how that turned out. If OnePlus skips 4, it's not because of the symbol looking similar to "death". It would be because of the 3T.

OnePlus 3
OnePlus 3T(4)
OnePlus 5

Other companies have followed this similar naming pattern before when jumping over their "off-numbered" device.