One thing I don't get

darkmatter

Reaction score
The hatred for motorola.

Sure, I get the disdain for locked bootloaders, but moto has given us some of the most open devices. To include a high end tablet (xoom).

So, sure, they lock bootloaders, but they also give us very open devices. Though admittedly we'd all prefer more timely releases of the google experience moto devices.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well before my moto droid i didn't like motorola either because of their just crappy phones and the one moto flip phone i had had the worst battery life as well as other moto phones they just died like in a half hour. But after my d1 i have nothing bad to say about moto except the boot loaders which the d1 doesn't have :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
People need to remember that Moto makes a lot more than just phones.

dscholz

Reaction score
The hatred for motorola.

Sure, I get the disdain for locked bootloaders, but moto has given us some of the most open devices. To include a high end tablet (xoom).

So, sure, they lock bootloaders, but they also give us very open devices. Though admittedly we'd all prefer more timely releases of the google experience moto devices.

My last phone was a motorola and to tell you the truth that little guy was a tank. I had it for about 3 years without any problems and without really ever feeling the need to upgrade.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
People need to remember that Moto makes a lot more than just phones.

My dads current expensive radio is a Moto. So was his older one. I also loved his past moto flip phone. It was metal, and tough. I dont hate moto, i just prefer unlocked devices. If they made a D3/nexus that was unlocked id spend my $$ toards it. Currently going to buy xoom as well. Not buying anything that is locked, Me and my D1 can hold out for another couple of years if need b.

OP
darkmatter

darkmatter

Reaction score
Yea, I didn't mention build quality. My droid is still going strong, and I got it the week it came out.

My point was more along the lines of all this hate for moto for locking bootloaders, then they give us the flagship android tablet with an unlocked bootloader.

I also don't get locking it in the first place. Most people don't care, and won't even attempt to root/rom, so moto is safe there. People that do want to, also want plenty of community support, if not manufacturer support.(which is what the droid enjoys)

I hope that tablets, especially, will all be unlocked. It seems the best and simplest way to future proof your device. I can understand willingness to let phones become obsolete, as the expected lifetime is much shorter. But tablets will need to last longer, and letting the community help with that only makes sense. I mean, I'm sure moto is putting zero effort in the upkeep of the droid. And the droid is ANCIENT technology by todays standards, yet its still going strong.