Email from MOTO.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Email from MOTO: Locked bootloaders and Bionic information.

Hopefully this will clear up some things for some of you guys. Questions regarding the Bionic and locked bootloaders. :

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen by replying to this email within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Verizon Cellphones and Motorola Devices

Discussion Thread
Dear Dustin,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

The Motorola DROID BIONIC with Verizon Wireless is New Android Device Combines Dual-core Processor with Fastest 4G Network for Unrivaled Mobile Internet Experience. Packing a dual core processor with each core running at 1GHz, delivering up to two GHz of processing power, and 512 MB RAM. The sleekly designed DROID BIONIC smartphone with 4G LTE delivers a mobile Internet experience that’s up to 10 times faster than 3G.

For more information about Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network, visit iPhone, Cell Phones, Smartphones, Refurb/CPO Phones with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless and for more information about Verizon Wireless at CES please visit www.verizonwireless.com/ces

Visit the Motorola site at:

DROID BIONIC BY Motorola - Android Social Smartphone - - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

Media Notes with Specs:

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Pre...-s-Fastest-Most-Advanced-4G-Network-353e.aspx

Currently, the release date and price range for the Motorola DROID BIONIC is not yet established. You can visit our website for updates and information about these details.

Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. Majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader.

In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

Dina Marie
Customer By Web Form (Dustin Hoffman) 02/22/2011 02:46 PM
I have a few questions regarding upcoming products and future products.
1. Do you have a release date for the Droid Bionic?
2. Do you have a general price range for the Droid Bionic?
3. Why have you started locking down bootloaders?
4. Will you (or do you plan to) release a Motorola product to Verizon that is not locked down?

Last edited:

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Hopefully this will clear up some things for some of you guys. Questions regarding the Bionic and locked bootloaders. :

I hope this is in jest. Motorola's response is just the standard copy/pasted line of crud that they've always been delivering. It doesn't really clear up any questions, like why the XOOM has an unlockable bootloader and the Atrix and (presumably) the Bionic don't. The whole thing has less to do with protecting users against "malicious software threats" and more with Motorola just not wanting people changing their phones as they desire. Control Freak 101.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I hope this is in jest. Motorola's response is just the standard copy/pasted line of crud that they've always been delivering. It doesn't really clear up any questions, like why the XOOM has an unlockable bootloader and the Atrix and (presumably) the Bionic don't. The whole thing has less to do with protecting users against "malicious software threats" and more with Motorola just not wanting people changing their phones as they desire. Control Freak 101.

I think it answers the questions quite clearly. They don't want you changing the software they put on their phones or cirumventing the OS to load custom versions. I don't think they have to give a reason for protecting their product, even if we all expect one. And remember, the Android license allows them to do this, so there really is no point in arguing about it. It's their prerogative and they've chosen to lock certain products down.