Olio Smart watch designed for iOS and Android

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

It was a matter of time before we seen more manufacturers throw their hat in the ring to capitalize on the smart watch craze. One such company, Olio, is looking to bring a since of style to the game in a watch designed to work for both iOS and Android. Olio took its cue from Motorola going with the stylish rounded (flat-tire) look and wireless charging. But do not think this watch will come cheap at least not compared to the typical android watch out there, this watch will set you back $600. But I must admit I like the look and can see this being a go for watch collectors out there.

Source: Olio Website

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
$600 and still has the flat tire like the Moto 360? Pass.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I never notice my 'flat tire'. Also, dat price tag! And it looks very thick but it was also just a render. Dual platform however is a selling point for those who have both phones. My work almost got iPhones for us.

At the same time, i forget the dev, but one is making good strides for iOS functionality on the Moto 360.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like the look, but I stand on my approach of $99 being the cut off price for a smart watch. The tech is still too new to shell out more than that. Plus, like early in the smart phone and tablet days, you going to have all these manufacturers coming out of nowhere trying to throw things at the wall and hope it sticks. And for me $600 is too much to shell out for a tech that could be obsolete in 3-5 months. Until we get a software that is matured and supported I am going to stay on the shallow end of the pool.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It appears that it may not have its own apps and may be totally dependent on blue tooth. I wish them luck.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Power to last for days... That's a feature I'd like to see. Probably why it's so thick.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does seem a bit pricey...
Cross platform, much better battery life. To those that have to be first, have the extra cash and want to be in on the next leap in performance it'll be worth it. Let's hope it does sell for the trickle down/ clone technology it'll bring to the rest of us at a lower price.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Outta my price range for sure.

I don't really see why the thought of charging your watch every night or every other night bothers people so much. I plug my phone in nightly, whether it's got 70% or 7% battery, and I leave the charging dock for my watch on my nightstand, so it's as simple as setting it down to charge it.

As for being cross-platform, that's a smart move for the same reasons others have already touched on.

However, I wonder how being cross-platform will affect functionality. For me, being an android fan, Android Wear just makes the most sense. It's integrated at the core of both devices. Sure, a companion app can offer a lot of similar functionality as we know from Mark's posts about his Gear S, but even the Gear S is more full-featured when paired with a Samsung phone vs. another oem's device.

Given the openness of Android, I'm betting devices like these that support both platforms will have more functionality and usefulness when paired with an android device vs. an ios device.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Outta my price range for sure.

I don't really see why the thought of charging your watch every night or every other night bothers people so much. I plug my phone in nightly, whether it's got 70% or 7% battery, and I leave the charging dock for my watch on my nightstand, so it's as simple as setting it down to charge it.

As for being cross-platform, that's a smart move for the same reasons others have already touched on.

However, I wonder how being cross-platform will affect functionality. For me, being an android fan, Android Wear just makes the most sense. It's integrated at the core of both devices. Sure, a companion app can offer a lot of similar functionality as we know from Mark's posts about his Gear S, but even the Gear S is more full-featured when paired with a Samsung phone vs. another oem's device.

Given the openness of Android, I'm betting devices like these that support both platforms will have more functionality and usefulness when paired with an android device vs. an ios device.
I will admit I don't charge my watch every night. I generally go 3-5 days in between charging.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
@johnny Kansas & @pc747 , I'm running a Moto 360, and although most days it makes it through from morning off the charger at 100% to evening back on the charger, there are some days it dies before the day is done. Why it uses so much battery for me is a tough question to answer. I don't have all kinds of Apps running on it, nothing but stock. It does give me alerts all day long so perhaps that is the issue but if I turn off the alerts then it's just a watch. So it's no problem charging every night, as long as it lasts all day.

Gramesmith

Reaction score
I just watch the video. I like the watch but its price is too high. Even I can get an Apple watch for $500. I have also heard about a new smart watch is going to launched, where I would be able to control the features I want to have. So I am not investing on this smart watch rather I wait.