Apple Watch vs Android Wear

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

apple-watch-ap.jpg

moto-360-smartwatch-580-90.jpg

With Android already having 3 watches out for purchase and more on the horizon it will be hard to really single out one to put against the Apple watch. The easiest thing would be to choose the Moto 360 but we haven't had enough reviews yet to make it the clear king of Android Wear. So I will post what was revealed about the Apple watch and put it against Android Wear in general.

The Apple watch specs have not been released yet but what we do know is that it will come in two sizes of 38mm and 42 mm, three categories: watch (sapphire glass), sport (anodized aluminum for lighter weight more resistant to corrosion), and watch edition (18 kt gold, polished sapphire crystals, and meant to be more elegant). What impressed me most about the Apple watch was how easy it was to swap out bands which makes it appealing to those who like to customize.

Of course Apple will offer many different styles of straps to choose from whether it be rubber, metal, sports band, or chain loop. I have to applaud apple in providing more variety making the watch more stylish than what we have with Android at this moment. Unfortunately I did not care for the user interface as it relied heavily on the side buttons, but I will wait to see head to head reviews before declaring my final judgement. The Apple watch will work on iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, and 6 plus and will offer features such as mobile payment, fitness software, and a new digital touch feature as another way to communicate with other Apple Watches.

Android Wear now has 3 devices officially released with more on the way from a variety of manufacturers. Unfortunately in the style department only the Moto 360 stands out as being stylish while the other watches are more... geeky looking. Like Apple, Android Wear is fairly new to the scene and will take a while to gauge what the public wants. What I like about Android Wear is that it relies more on touch screen interface and voice input but falls short in the ability to customize.

Android Wear watches which are available now will cost you between $199-250 vs Apple Watch, which will not be available until 2015, and will start at a $349 and up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Price, style functionality ....Exactly what I expected from Apple.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I don't mean to side track the battle of the bands but here's the idea for both companies. Let someone else make the watch case. I think smartwatches won't take off until two things happen. Improve the battery life and improve the look. It should be an interchangeable piece that you could swap out or something. These guys have to collaborate with a watchmaker, and no proprietary bands... there's an already a market full of customization options they shouldn't waste development money on. Just have a tech company concentrate on the guts and the jeweler on the chassis. Step back and let folks line right up.

Is%2BThis%2BSo%2BHard%2BMoto.png

Last edited:

kitty start

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
+86
I doubt that can Apple Watch surpass The Andriod wearing.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Can you put any band of your choosing on the iWatch, or is it just a variety of Apple-branded straps?

Only Apple straps so far. None of the bands look "universal".

They slide in and are held on by a little retainer notch.

Apple-watch-band-sensor-e1410334552838.png

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can you put any band of your choosing on the iWatch, or is it just a variety of Apple-branded straps?

From the event yesterday it looks as if you can.

Gremlin

Reaction score
@Dusty : What are you going to get :p

I do not see a reason for Apple watch to cost $350.. Way overpriced as usual nothing new.. Only thing it has NFC.. meh..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry @pc747 you can.. but those straps will be expensive as hell..

I agree, based on the cost of the Apple watch now. But apple fans are willing to pay it, at least based on the interviews shown after the event yesterday.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wow - Apple device that is more customizable than an Android one. What is the world coming to...

I'm not sure I'd say its more customizable except for the bands at first. Android Wear devices have tons of watch faces on the playstore, launchers, apps, etc. I have a feeling the apple watch is going to be very locked down. It is an Apple product after all. With Android, the skies the limit for what devs can do.

baudwalk

Reaction score
What's the point of the watches so long as a watch has to be tethered to a phone? Can't see it. Tying up mid-three-figures for a toy seems silly to me. Battery life at best is a day. Now the user has two devices to charge? Pay with a watch? Cash works for me, and no worries that $HD or $TGT will lose my credit card data to hackers.

I am not saying I don't like new technology and new toys, but sometimes some of the new toys are devices looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist.