Old D2

ltchronic302

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a rooted droid 2 that is no longer being used as my phone and want to neuter the phone part of it. As of now it still gets cell signal and even still rings and receives txts sometimes when my new phone does though obviously I can't make any phone calls. I would like to load something on it that doesn't have any phone stuff included such as contacts, sms, dialer, etc but still allows me to use the droid os only on wifi like the market etc(basically like an ipod touch) What roms/etc are available like that? Also, would I still be able to use GPS w/o cell service? Wigle Wifi is one of my favorite apps and I need GPS for it.

lizard

Reaction score
You could probably freeze or remove the phone stuff with Titanium backup or similar app. There is an install guide on the Market for Ubuntu Linux. Don't know about GPS. You might have to use wifi based network location. But you prolly need location first to find the wifi, I assume. Id freeze stuff as opposed to removing it just in case. You could partition hard drive and boot back and forth between Andriod and Linux too if you want.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
L

ltchronic302

Reaction score
If I update to any of the other droid os's then I will have to reactive the phone(just like factory resetting it) right? I have titanium, I'll might just use that to freeze the phone stuff like you said, though dual booting with ubuntu sounds fun. What do I search for in the market, just ubuntu guide? Thanks lizard!

lizard

Reaction score
If you do not have service, I don't think you will receive updates to your operating system unless you install the leaks manually. Not 100 percent sure about that though, never ran a phone with no service. Resetting the phone(Factory Data Reset)wipes all user data since new out of box condition. Search for Ubuntu or Ubuntu installation guide. I don't know of any custom roms you could flash that would be a little more suited to what you want to do, I've only tried a couple roms myself. Careful freezing stuff , some system apps share files and stuff so if you freeze the wrong thing your device may start to get a little wonky on ya. Try one thing at a time and remember what you freeze so you can unfreeze it. You should get some sort of warning prompt from Titanium about shared files though, I've seen them when freezing system apps, I can't say you will always get one though.

hond2

Reaction score
Do a full factory reset- then to bypass activating phone : At the first Android screen, tap all 4 corners of the screen. Top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left.
Should work, ..

OP
L

ltchronic302

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks hond2! Since I'll just freeze stuff I don't need, does anyone have a list of what processes do what and what things I can freeze? Like if I don't want to be able to get a cell signal the process to freeze for that and other phone type stuff. Also what is the network location process?