How would I delete voicemail on a phone with no signal?

EastPhilly

Reaction score
So I now use this phone as an MP3/GPS/app device. It doesn't get 3g or cell signal. Only problem is I still had a voicemail from when I switched over to my new phone. So far I tried calling the voicemail number to listen to it, but it says there is no signal, so I cannot access my voicemail. Any suggestions?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Dial your number from a landline, press # then your pin.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Dial your number from a landline, press # then your pin.

Quick response and to the point, thanks tjk629!

I'll elaborate for future reference, if that's ok (this will perhaps be "Well, DUH!" for most readers, but better to have a External Voicemail Access for Dummies guide than suffer extra questions):

Call your mobile number from another phone (yes, landline works best), but when you get your outgoing voicemail greeting on the line, then press # followed by your 4-digit voicemail PIN. Like tjk629 said...

Also keep in mind that you're calling yourself, so if you've roamed outside your mobile phone's normal home area code, then you're dialing yourself long-distance, technically.

You'll then be in the audio voicemail menu with instructions to follow, which is a little jolt if you're used to the VZW Visual Voicemail feature. If you're like me and have a bunch of old messages hanging out in the mailbox, you'll be prompted to save the ancient messages or allow them to be deleted, and you may have to wait through multiple recordings until you locate the new message you want to hear. Just be patient with the automated system and you'll get to that important voicemail.

An extra hint (helpful maybe)... I found I didn't like the sound of my outgoing message (which is obnoxiously long since it's the front door to my mobile tech support business) when I recorded it directly from my mobile phone. So I actually used this external access for voicemail from my landline to get the "record a new greeting" feature from a good-sounding wired handset. Just another reason I haven't dropped the home landline... yet.

OP
E

EastPhilly

Reaction score
Since my new phone and old phone are the same number I just accessed voicemail from my new phone and deleted the message (kind of a "And you didn't think of this why?" moment for me). Problem is the voicemail symbol still shows u on my old phone, even after a few restarts.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
That is peculiar.:blink: So if your old phone used Visual Voicemail, you could open its Visual Voicemail app, go to Settings and logout of the account, which technically uses any data line it can find (I think WiFi counts) to grab its vmail notification updates, even though a valid VZW subscription line is used to actually pull down the message itself (which you said is now turned over to your new phone activation instead). If it's the Visual Voicemail feature, I think you can go to Settings, Applications, and possibly erase the data from it through that control panel or attempt to uninstall the app itself...

I know for Mom's old Moto Devour I was able to root the device, obscure the previously activated ID numbers (MEIN MDIN, I can't remember what it was called & can't cross-reference right now, sorry), so it's currently set to a bogus 605xxxyyyy phone number instead of its original 507xxxyyyy number and shouldn't have any ties to the old account activation although it still shows a VZW signal (for 911 dialing purposes only). She never used visual voicemail though, so it never got the familiar green "cassette tape" notification icon I'm used to seeing on my R2-D2.

For that matter, were you using Visual Voicemail feature on the old activated phone?
And are your old phone and new phone the same make/model of hardware/firmware/software, perhaps?

MrCatPC

Reaction score
...Problem is the voicemail symbol still shows u(p) on my old phone, even after a few restarts...

EastPhilly: Some steps for the old phone (your old phone which is still unofficially on the same number) going through the Settings menu options from within its homescreen control panel...
  • Settings | Accounts | Visual Voicemail | {Remove account}
  • Settings | Call Settings | Set default voicemail | {change focus to Voicemail or Always Choose}
  • Settings | Call Settings | Set roaming voicemail | {change focus to Voicemail or Always Choose}
  • Settings | Call Settings | Voicemail settings | {erase *86 and/or other dialing codes to result in empty field}
This should dissolve ties to data sync for voicemail, especially if you had Visual Voicemail engaged on the old phone, and cause the standard Voicemail dialer (& Voicemail shortcut) to have no automatic dialing access.

Is the ghost busted after that? "The call is coming from inside the house!" Cue Twilight Zone soundtrack here.