OK folks, looking for moderating feedback...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lschicky

Reaction score
The close/edited/deleted threads shouldn't be happening as much now that 2.1 is out and everybody has it. During the first few days we were trying to keep the amount of threads down, and I know for a fact that I upset a few people in one thread but at the time that was what the admins wanted and that's what I was doing. I can't apologize for following orders, I can say that going forward anybody I delete a thread or even edit a thread will receive a pm from me explaining why that happened. The only reason for editing a thread really is because of language but I feel that the poster should be notified.

It would also be helpful if the mods actually read the content of some threads. It might be the same source topic, but branching off into different aspects of it. Though better topic lines would help set those aside. 1 general thread to cover all isn't always best. like with the 2.1 thread, it got to over 15 pages easily. But it was hopeless trying to sort through it to find out what the upgrade contained vs just when it was potentially coming out and the rumor mill, Mods shutting down threads like this is only going to drive people to find that information elsewhere where they don't have to sort through 15 pages of "It's not here yet!"

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Overall the mods do a good job, but there is always room for improvement. I've actually been a moderator on sites as large as this one, and know what a tedious task it is. It's important to always see where there is room for improvement.

Off the top of my head:

--Yes, hard set rules should be posted. With Set Warning system in place (IE 1st offence, 2nd offence, etc.. Most forums have a 3 strikes rule.) Don't assume everyone knows forum Etiquette.

--Hot Topics should be sticky'd so multiple threads don't keep popping up vs just keep closing them: The Search function on the site isn't really helpful, so perhaps not be so rude to the accidental double threads. I know you guys get sick of seeing the same thing over and over, but most people don't look back more then 3 pages worth of threads, and since the website tends to lead you to more specified forum sections vs the whole forum. so post in other sections are often missed.

--There is never an excuse for a moderator to be snippy/rude with people. Being a moderator should not be considered a position of power, but one of customer service. That currently doesn't come across here.

we do actually warning system with a three strike policy. it's posted here somewhere. but i'll take that as another vote for a rules page ;)

thanks for the pointers!

lschicky

Reaction score
we do actually warning system with a three strike policy. it's posted here somewhere. but i'll take that as another vote for a rules page ;)

thanks for the pointers!
Sticky it in each forum section please? Label it "Forum Rules" sticky's titled "Flaming Stops Now ! People will Start Getting 30 Days Bans for this starting now !! " or "Rules for Banning" are things people are only going to look at after they've run into a problem.

The Rules for Banning (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/19442-member-guidelines-banning.html) only state the consequence, not what the actual rules that will get you banned are.

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

thanks for the pointers!
Sticky it in each forum section please? Label it "Forum Rules" sticky's titled "Flaming Stops Now ! People will Start Getting 30 Days Bans for this starting now !! " or "Rules for Banning" are things people are only going to look at after they've run into a problem.

The Rules for Banning (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/19442-member-guidelines-banning.html) only state the consequence, not what the actual rules that will get you banned are.

right, that's what we were discussing earlier.. you would like to see rules that will get you banned? i agree to that. last time it was brought up though, we were under 20k members and had no problems with people following rules. i'll see what we can get started. thanks again!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My only complaint would be...none..another idea though would have a list of all avail mods online like I am having a problem now. Which I will pm you..it might already exist I just don't know where to look it not exactly handy to do this from cell phone...

bloodstains

Reaction score
I just typed up a huge response in that "Cyanogen banned" thread, and after I hit "post quick reply" it informed me the thread was locked, bummer :(

But overall, the mods/admins are doing a fine job. Lately though the e-clique drama has been increasing, and instead of dissipating it I feel they're just adding fuel to the fire.

I LOVE BlackDroid's roms, they're all I use. That being said, I've never been one to blindy follow a leader, regardless of how much I appreciate and respect him. Personally I would love to hear what Cyanogen has to say about BlackDroid! What you guys might see as trolling/a deletable or bannable offense, I just take it as a dude being mad and wanting to voice his opinion. Did he go about it in the most effective way? No, I don't think so.

I think we're all adults here and all of us should be able to cut through the crap on our own. I personally would rather the moderators did not make judgement calls for me on what is considered a troll post vs an angry criticism. If somebody is posting a picture of another user and saying "OMG LOOK AT THIS FAT UGLY LOSER, HIS ADDRESS IS 1234 SESAME STREET LANE AND HE'S AT WORK RIGHT NOW IF YOU WANT TO PEE ON HIS GARDEN GNOME" or something else stupid like that, then by all means, ban away! But just because someone is mad at BlackDroid shouldn't have to mean their posts get deleted or anything like that.

I didn't see the post, by the way. I just wish I was able to hear some of his criticisms without being forced to go to other forums to read it. Also been kind of turned off by the news headlines exclaiming "BlackDroid v10 IS THE BEST! WOO LET'S HEAR IT FOR BLACKDROID BEST ROM EVER NO PROBLEMS!!" before it was even really released. We can read the threads for ourselves, and I see tons of people HAVE been having problems. Not a huge deal, as the problems are always worked out, just seems kind of like immature favoritism/blind allegiance to their loyal leader.

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just typed up a huge response in that "Cyanogen banned" thread, and after I hit "post quick reply" it informed me the thread was locked, bummer :(

But overall, the mods/admins are doing a fine job. Lately though the e-clique drama has been increasing, and instead of dissipating it I feel they're just adding fuel to the fire.

I LOVE BlackDroid's roms, they're all I use. That being said, I've never been one to blindy follow a leader, regardless of how much I appreciate and respect him. Personally I would love to hear what Cyanogen has to say about BlackDroid! What you guys might see as trolling/a deletable or bannable offense, I just take it as a dude being mad and wanting to voice his opinion. Did he go about it in the most effective way? No, I don't think so.

I think we're all adults here and all of us should be able to cut through the crap on our own. I personally would rather the moderators did not make judgement calls for me on what is considered a troll post vs an angry criticism. If somebody is posting a picture of another user and saying "OMG LOOK AT THIS FAT UGLY LOSER, HIS ADDRESS IS 1234 SESAME STREET LANE AND HE'S AT WORK RIGHT NOW IF YOU WANT TO PEE ON HIS GARDEN GNOME" or something else stupid like that, then by all means, ban away! But just because someone is mad at BlackDroid shouldn't have to mean their posts get deleted or anything like that.

I didn't see the post, by the way. I just wish I was able to hear some of his criticisms without being forced to go to other forums to read it. Also been kind of turned off by the news headlines exclaiming "BlackDroid v10 IS THE BEST! WOO LET'S HEAR IT FOR BLACKDROID BEST ROM EVER NO PROBLEMS!!" before it was even really released. We can read the threads for ourselves, and I see tons of people HAVE been having problems. Not a huge deal, as the problems are always worked out, just seems kind of like immature favoritism/blind allegiance to their loyal leader.

ok, we aren't going to get into that discussion here.. but i will say keep your eyes peeled on that issue, we are working on a solution.

we are also working on the drama.. i hope you guys see improvement soon!

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My only complaint would be...none..another idea though would have a list of all avail mods online like I am having a problem now. Which I will pm you..it might already exist I just don't know where to look it not exactly handy to do this from cell phone...

If you go to the forum link at the top of the page: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ You will see every member of the forum who is logged in. You will also see that at the top of the list there is a list of coded and colored symbols indicating what level certain people are. Different symbol for Admins, Supermods, mods, and various other forum participants.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Staff on this forum is awesome!

I regularly visit forums for different topics, cars, electronics, etc. And this by far, is one of the most organized. Staff is quick to getting to threads that tend to get out of hand and are also helpful at answering questions.

Also when the site went through the overhaul it was smooth and flawless. I don't recall any downtime after the upgrade to the site. Excellent job done by the staff.

Keep up the great work guys! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute just a bit to make this forum better.

J*Bishop

Reaction score
I think overall you staff is doing fine. Now if you made me a mod....:icon_ banana:

Droidfish

Reaction score
I think this is an awesome forum and I think the mods do a great job.

Unfortunately I think your job as a mod has been a lot harder since the how do i root epidemic of march 2010 paired with the occasional dev drama, lol.

Seriously though i think you guys are pretty good at handling all that comes with a forum as popular as this one.

Love DF. Keep up the good work mods:)

dro

Reaction score
Doing an awesome job imo. I think it would make your jobs a lot easier if you simply replaced the search box for this forum with a generic Google search box. Unless the code could be altered to look for the phrase within a post instead of a thread. No matter what you search for here, it will pop up with the 200 page UD threads. Many people do not realize that they will find what they are looking for in a matter of seconds with the same phrase on Google. If the search could somehow be fixed, I think a lot of the redundant posts would stop appearing.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doing an awesome job imo. I think it would make your jobs a lot easier if you simply replaced the search box for this forum with a generic Google search box. Unless the code could be altered to look for the phrase within a post instead of a thread. No matter what you search for here, it will pop up with the 200 page UD threads. Many people do not realize that they will find what they are looking for in a matter of seconds with the same phrase on Google. If the search could somehow be fixed, I think a lot of the redundant posts would stop appearing.

I did a thread on this just the other day explaining how I do a search. To make a long story short, your right and we know our own search falls short. What we're looking for here is feed back on the mods, and I see you did that so thank you.:)

jev

Reaction score
Everything seemed to be going good until about a week or so ago. As has already been mentioned the response to criticism of blackdroid got out of hand in a couple of threads. One mod, can't remember who, was threatening 30 day bans just for voicing an opinion. Everyone must realize that sometimes opinions to some may be "trolling" to others. We need to get away from issuing that label unless someone is blatantly trolling. I, as does everyone, get tired of seeing the same thing being posted and most of the time it's handled really well. It does seem that sometimes a mod seems to get on a little power trip and it makes them look silly and juvenile, but overall I think the team here does a pretty good job and I do appreciate the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.