Ok am I retarted.... (s off)

OP
J

Ja5on L

Reaction score
annnnnnd brick lol. I am downloading the stock rom now will have to throw that on the SD card and hopefully I can access recovery and fix it.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you make sure that you placed the recovery image in the same directory as fastboot? I didn't see any mention of this, having an unlocked bootloader, you should be able to flash recoveries just fine.

Main version should also NOT affect weather or not you can flash a recovery, the version relates to what RUU/Kernel/ROM you can flash.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, I completely gapped the fact that he's trying to load Amon-Ra. I saw Mainver and started down my "flashing a kernel" thought path. Listen to MacPro...Not me...he clearly pays attention. lol

OP
J

Ja5on L

Reaction score
Did you make sure that you placed the recovery image in the same directory as fastboot? I didn't see any mention of this, having an unlocked bootloader, you should be able to flash recoveries just fine.

Main version should also NOT affect weather or not you can flash a recovery, the version relates to what RUU/Kernel/ROM you can flash.

Yes I did and it wont load it no matter what I try, uninstalled drivers, reinstalled, uninstalled sync, stood on one leg and wore a funny hat nothing.

In my case it does I guess. Changing the Mainver actually allowed me to install AmonRa - Problem is everything flashed installed SU and I went back to recovery and wiped to flash clean rom and I guess the phone didn't like it because it literally reverted from the "installing" prompt in the clean rom install back to the stock recovery screen then rebooted and just stuck at the HTC screen for over an hour till the battery died, so I pulled it and set it on the charger all night. Now the battery is charged and I can boot into the HBoot screen but says the Mainver is older again. So I am guessing something didn't take and the phone doesn't work at all. So I have a stock OS I guess I need to try and install and re-start everything.

Man, I completely gapped the fact that he's trying to load Amon-Ra. I saw Mainver and started down my "flashing a kernel" thought path. Listen to MacPro...Not me...he clearly pays attention. lol

Actually your advice was the only thing that allowed me to get anything installed on the phone haha.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im kinda perplexed as to how your main version changed? and why that would have effected you installing recovery, what what your main version by the way?

It also sounds like you have a PH zip on your sdcard that HBOOT is trying to load, take that off so there is nothing interfering with what you are trying to do.

OP
J

Ja5on L

Reaction score
Ok, so the quick and dirty checklist

1) HTCDev Unlock
2) Amon-Ra(try grabbing 3.10)
3) HTC drivers installed(http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe)
4) Fastboot, ADB + Dll's(http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/CarePackage.zip)
5) Reboot into HBOOT(should say fastboot USB)
6) "fastboot flash recovery amon-ra.x.x.x.x.img"
7) ????
8) Profit

Well see when I try the "fastboot etc" way it just gives me a unable to open file or whatever error I posted above. So I threw Amon on as a zip file after changing the Mainver and it installed perfectly fine had Amon Ra yay for me.

So then I download "Clean Rom" and go to install it through Amon, I wiped and installed from zip and it hangs on the "Installing..." part then after a few mins it throws me to the Hboot screen and gives me the reboot option so I choose reboot and it loads up the HTC screen and it just sits there, I have been staring at it for the last I dunno 6 mins and it hasn't loaded an OS at all.

So I tried the recovery tool, and even though I HAVE the correct recovery in reference to my Hboot version, it fails to update.

Me think's something else is wrong haha.

So no profit for me :(

OP
J

Ja5on L

Reaction score
Im kinda perplexed as to how your main version changed? and why that would have effected you installing recovery, what what your main version by the way?

It also sounds like you have a PH zip on your sdcard that HBOOT is trying to load, take that off so there is nothing interfering with what you are trying to do.

Yeah I am too I have NO Idea why it decided to do what it did. I removed the PH from the SD card so when it goes to Hboot it just says no image, and I can access the recovery menu after.

the Mainver was dated 2-28 so I changed it to 3-4 (in the correct format of course) and it worked I can still get to recovery, problem is clean rom wont install and it just sits at the HTC screen now. I am thinking it might be different phone time haha.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Take all PH zips off your SD card, I think that may be your problem, HBOOT Bootloader will ALWAYS try to load these even if already loaded, so once you have loaded a PH zip you need to take it OFF asap to prevent problems.

Once you have taken them off, I want you try fastboot again. Boot into HBOOT and tell me what your main version is, you should see in green text: "HBOOT-X.XX.XXXX" that first number indicates what your main version is, right now, from the OTA it should be a "2."

Below, you should see "FASTBOOT USB." If you DO NOT see the USB part than the drivers are not installed, if USB is shown after fastboot, than you are good to go.

Now, with the recovery of your choice, place the .img (image) file in the SAME DIRECTORY as the fasboot program file (so if fast boot is in C:\android\platform\ than place the image file in that same folder). Make sure you are not placing the .zip file in there but the actual .img image file.

Then you can run, type this word for word: "fasboot flash recovery [name of the file].img" and make sure you included the file extension, .img, and also the partition to which you are flashing "recovery."

if anything even a little bit is off it won't work. "fastboot" is the program, "flash" is the command, "recovery" is the partition, then give the name of the file you want to flash along with the file's extension.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit...

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, if you want to just start over, lock the bootloader, and grab the latest OTA RUU from XDA, and flash that so the phone goes back to completely stock, also, you will need to make sure you main version is: "HBOOT-2.XX.XXXX" before you can flash it.

OP
J

Ja5on L

Reaction score
Take all PH zips off your SD card, I think that may be your problem, HBOOT Bootloader will ALWAYS try to load these even if already loaded, so once you have loaded a PH zip you need to take it OFF asap to prevent problems.

Once you have taken them off, I want you try fastboot again. Boot into HBOOT and tell me what your main version is, you should see in green text: "HBOOT-X.XX.XXXX" that first number indicates what your main version is, right now, from the OTA it should be a "2."

Below, you should see "FASTBOOT USB." If you DO NOT see the USB part than the drivers are not installed, if USB is shown after fastboot, than you are good to go.

Now, with the recovery of your choice, place the .img (image) file in the SAME DIRECTORY as the fasboot program file (so if fast boot is in C:\android\platform\ than place the image file in that same folder). Make sure you are not placing the .zip file in there but the actual .img image file.

Then you can run, type this word for word: "fasboot flash recovery [name of the file].img" and make sure you included the file extension, .img, and also the partition to which you are flashing "recovery."

if anything even a little bit is off it won't work. "fastboot" is the program, "flash" is the command, "recovery" is the partition, then give the name of the file you want to flash along with the file's extension.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit...

Hboot - 2.11.0000
I have Flashboot USB
I put the image in the same file
do cmd etc get there type in the file name as it is and as you stated above

cannot load recovery-ra-vigor-3.13-gnm.img

Tried 3.14 and 3.10 also tried renaming it and nothing works. Same error.

That is why I used the Zip file 1 time and it worked with the different Mainver but now no OS will load. Just Hangs at the HTC screen

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
try renaming the .img file as something shorter, like "amonra.img" or something, and you are sure that the .img file itself is the fastboot directory and not .zip file or anything else right?

And as I stated as well, you can always, RUU back to stock and start over, this will at least give you a botable OS for the time being.

OP
J

Ja5on L

Reaction score
try renaming the .img file as something shorter, like "amonra.img" or something, and you are sure that the .img file itself is the fastboot directory and not .zip file or anything else right?

And as I stated as well, you can always, RUU back to stock and start over, this will at least give you a botable OS for the time being.

I renamed it as well so it was shorter, same issue. I actually downloaded the RUU already, and it goes through the process and says it failed. Do I need to re-lock the bootloader to run the RUU? I used the 2.1 RUU since I have Hboot 2.1 and it doesn't like that one bit.

Last edited:
OP
J

Ja5on L

Reaction score
Guess I can try and download a stable rom from Scottsroms and dump it on the SD wipe and factory reset the phone and try and install that zip. Maybe it will work... I dunno I never had this many issues modding my moto phones before this guess HTC is too smart for me lol!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I renamed it as well so it was shorter, same issue. I actually downloaded the RUU already, and it goes through the process and says it failed. Do I need to re-lock the bootloader to run the RUU? I used the 2.1 RUU since I have Hboot 2.1 and it doesn't like that one bit.

Yes you need to relock before you can run the RUU.

Guess I can try and download a stable rom from Scottsroms and dump it on the SD wipe and factory reset the phone and try and install that zip. Maybe it will work... I dunno I never had this many issues modding my moto phones before this guess HTC is too smart for me lol!

Don't forget that when you load one of Scott's ROMS after you flash the ROM it automatically reboots into HBOOT and will attempt(after you press power) to load the matching kernel. Amon-Ra 3.10 does not support this action and will ignore it. So if you're on Amon-Ra 3.12 or better it will work. If you get stuck on your first boot...wait. If you get impatient after 5 minutes reboot and it should boot up this time.