Official release / launch date for the Droid Z

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Who do they think they are Apple? Should be some good sales for this soon as it won't likely sell at this price point very well.
The Moto Z (not the force version) will do okay. You have to remember, 16GB iPhone 6s price starts at $649. With the Z, that thing is at the same price point for double the storage, better battery, modularity, & an overall better design. Better materials internally and externally, I feel that's a fair price point. If it's $720 for the 64GB Force version, I'll be happy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think both will sell OK in the long run. I still plan on buying a Force model with a Mod (or 2) eventually. I just was not expecting a $720 price tag on a Droid phone. I think we can see some of Verizon's markup here. If Lenovo can release the Project Tango phone with all of it's new camera / virtual room / virtual surroundings technology for $500 then there is no reason that Lenovo / Moto could not release the Droid Z for around the same price. I'm just guessing, but I wonder if all of that extra price tag is Verizon's cut? :D

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
I think both will sell OK in the long run. I still plan on buying a Force model with a Mod (or 2) eventually. I just was not expecting a $720 price tag on a Droid phone. I think we can see some of Verizon's markup here. If Lenovo can release the Project Tango phone with all of it's new camera / virtual room / virtual surroundings technology for $500 then there is no reason that Lenovo / Moto could not release the Droid Z for around the same price. I'm just guessing, but I wonder if all of that extra price tag is Verizon's cut? :D
If we assume a $550 standard unlocked price (for the Force model), 25% markup puts the new pricing at about $690 (including sales tax, $720 is about right including the VZW markup percentage.)

Clamshell

Reaction score
My wallet votes no. I refuse to pay full retail for extra bloatware and slow updates. I'll wait till the 2016 Nexus or the proverbial Black Friday sales.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
No Moto Z Force unlocked = keep my $$

6S PLUS
That will probably turn a few customers away. Verizon must have kicked in $$$ for R & D to get an exclusive on this and for it to be the new Droid this early in the year. But...I would not be surprised to see Moto release a Moto Z line that is carried unlocked under a slightly different name; or a new 2016 Moto X with the same specs / style of phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
That will probably turn a few customers away. Verizon must have kicked in $$$ for R & D to get an exclusive on this and for it to be the new Droid this early in the year. But...I would not be surprised to see Moto release a Moto Z line that is carried unlocked under a slightly different name; or a new 2016 Moto X with the same specs / style of phone.

I like your thinking but I bet they don't give us the beefed up battery style unlocked ...be nice though ...we shall see

6S PLUS

Clamshell

Reaction score
These were supposed to be released today but Verizon sent them back as all the phones received were missing their headphone jack ;)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
what is the main difference between droid and android ??
As stated in the article posted by Clamshell:

Android is an Operating System (OS) used to run phones. Droid is a specific brand of phone, manufactured by Motorola, sold by Verizon.

k1601

Reaction score
I'm still shooting for an unlocked version in the next 2 years that uses the mods. I'm getting a new droid turbo in a few months for screen replacement and that should get me through the next generation of this to see what happens. Fingers crossed.