[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

Droidman6565

Reaction score
Hey everybody, so a while back I sbf'd my r2d2 to the normal d2 froyo in order to get the d2 gingerbread update since at that time there was no available sbf for the r2d2. Anyone else been running the normal droid 2 ota gingerbread and tried this sbf? I'm fine with running like it is now but if my phone acts up and I need to get a new one from vzw I'd like to know if it will work to get back from the normal d2 ota gingerbread.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

SlateJones

Reaction score
THANKS TO GREYGIFFORD
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you..
and chasehammer, thanks for testing for us... You guys are my saviors... heroes.
I bootlooped my r2 last night repeatedly trying to force the update... now i can save my poor little droid.
Thank you

GK1

Reaction score
Just had to sign up to say thanks to greygifford for his excellent contribution and to chasehammer for testing it for us first. Seriously, without you guys I would still be stuck with the update failing at 25% on the progress bar. What a great friday this turned out to be!

Thank you! dancedroid:icon_ banana:

chasehammer

Reaction score
Hey everybody, so a while back I sbf'd my r2d2 to the normal d2 froyo in order to get the d2 gingerbread update since at that time there was no available sbf for the r2d2. Anyone else been running the normal droid 2 ota gingerbread and tried this sbf? I'm fine with running like it is now but if my phone acts up and I need to get a new one from vzw I'd like to know if it will work to get back from the normal d2 ota gingerbread.

Yes this will work and get you back on R2D2 or use the stock D2 and that will work too

Any idea how to UNROOT after this? (Just want to make sure there's a way back home if I decide to go there.)
I havent tried it but you can try Z4Root it has a unroot button if you are already rooted, if not bottom line you could always SBF to froyo and update to gingerbread again. no big deal now.

Inelastic

Reaction score

I did. I actually got rid of all SW suff back in Jan when I SBFd 2.3.20 and went to the Liberty rom. I changed to the regular D2 GB OTA the day they released it. This morning I SBFd this and updated to GB with no problems.

Droidman6565

Reaction score
Hey Inelastic and Chasehammer thanks for the replies, glad to know this works in my situation. Greygifford thanks for making this available to everyone, you've saved a lot of people from a lot of headaches.

xm41907

Reaction score
I did. I actually got rid of all SW suff back in Jan when I SBFd 2.3.20 and went to the Liberty rom. I changed to the regular D2 GB OTA the day they released it. This morning I SBFd this and updated to GB with no problems.

I did the same thing. I was wondering if I was to SBF and get it to R2D2 GB, would it be possible to install CM7 and keep the SW theme? I really liked the C3P0 default image in the contacts, and the slider.

Inelastic

Reaction score
I did the same thing. I was wondering if I was to SBF and get it to R2D2 GB, would it be possible to install CM7 and keep the SW theme? I really liked the C3P0 default image in the contacts, and the slider.

Nope. It's specific to that rom and will be removed if you change roms. However, there are probably ways of taking the some of the stuff off and putting it back on afterwards.

There is a pretty cool Star Wars theme for Widgetlocker. I'm using it now since it goes better with the new GB look. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-roms/133666-widgetlocker-r2d2-lockscreen.html

jjq224

Reaction score
Thanks for the SBF ! Hopefully I can get Gingerbread on my little R2 unit now. I only have one noobie question - how do I go about flashing the SBF file so I can get the update? Also, I assume this will kill all my apps, my contacts, my settings, etc. - right? Oh - BTW, I am running Mac (if I need a PC to do this).

Thanks for all the help.

EDIT - I have ClockworkMod recovery on my phone - all I should need to do is copy the SBF to the SD card, reboot into recovery and load the new SBF, right?

Inelastic

Reaction score
Thanks for the SBF ! Hopefully I can get Gingerbread on my little R2 unit now. I only have one noobie question - how do I go about flashing the SBF file so I can get the update? Also, I assume this will kill all my apps, my contacts, my settings, etc. - right? Oh - BTW, I am running Mac (if I need a PC to do this).

Thanks for all the help.

EDIT - I have ClockworkMod recovery on my phone - all I should need to do is copy the SBF to the SD card, reboot into recovery and load the new SBF, right?

Yes, the SBF is like a recovery disk for your phone. Running it will bring it back to the way it was when you first got it. The stuff on your sd card will remain there though. You will lose all of your data. If you install Titanium backup and backup your apps and data, you can use it to recover them after you run the SBF. Your contacts should come back if you have your google account sync'd with your phone.

You don't run the SBF from your phone, you do it in RSDLite from Windows. Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers

chasehammer

Reaction score
and while you are rooted if you use Titanium Backup to save your apps and data then when you get back after the update use it again to restore the apps. otherwise the SBF will erase everything.

celblazer

Reaction score
My R2 did not reset to factory. All my apps stayed along with settings after SBF and then the update downloaded and installed and still kept everything. I may be the exception to the rule but not having to redo anything was sweet.

Yes, the SBF is like a recovery disk for your phone. Running it will bring it back to the way it was when you first got it. The stuff on your sd card will remain there though. You will lose all of your data. If you install Titanium backup and backup your apps and data, you can use it to recover them after you run the SBF. Your contacts should come back if you have your google account sync'd with your phone.

You don't run the SBF from your phone, you do it in RSDLite from Windows. Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers