[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

dimmer_is_a_DJ

Reaction score
To answer the question regarding displaying only phone contacts while keeping the pictures from facebook contacts...

In contacts bring up the menu BY CLICKING THE "MENU" BUTTON and select "DISPLAY OPTIONS".

Select the option to display phone contacts only. I dont remember the exact wording since its been a while that I've been on stock 2.2 or anything for longer than enough time to transition into something else and .602 seems to have a different layout. Regardless thats how you would hide anything but phone contacts. If you no longer have the pic displayed then you will have to manually go through and save the images and assign them to each contact. That's the only way I know. If someone knows differently please post.

Sent from my DROIDX running the latest 4.5.602 GB; rooted, OC'ed and stable at LV1.4Ghz...using DroidForums

Zottig

Reaction score
It's probably not going to accomplish anything by griping about it, but why hasn't there been an SBF of the R2D2? I mean I don't exactly know how those get out in the wild to begin with. Maybe they have to leak from Moto... I can't imagine if Verizon had them in stores that one wouldn't have made its way into the community. Regardless, this is something a stock SBF could easily fix. I still contend the R2D2 phone wasn't given much love by the hacking community... heck even the Droid2 wasn't all that popular. I guess if you want to hack you either need the "THE phone" everyone wants or the unlocked Google Experience devices.

For my next phone I am struggling whether I should hold out for the Droid Prime (Samsung but Google Experience and AMOLED) or go with the Bionic in all it's Blur encumbered glory. I believe any non-Google experience device will always be woefully late to receive software patches. I still am shocked the R2D2 was given an update... had we been told it was coming (and there were several posts to VZW and Moto asking) I'd have held off tinkering and waited.

Ben

dimmer_is_a_DJ

Reaction score
i dont think Z4Root works on gingerbread. think you have to using a computer...not sure though.

No it does not. However there is a way to root GB but it requires you to SBF back to 2.2.1 system version 2.3.340 (the original not maderstock.zip). Then run z4root. There are two .zip files which must be flashed in recovery by using the droid2 bootstrap (yes, droid2 not DROIDX) after the SBF is flashed with RSD Lite. You can find the guide in these forums.

EDIT: the guide can be found here http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/8771-official-gingerbread-update-4-5-602-rooted-ready-stock.html

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jedifire11

Reaction score
Z4root doesn't work on GB, however, you can use the one click method via PC on it, without sbf'ing. It is the same method that is used for the Droid 3.

Sent from my R2D2 using DroidForums

Zottig

Reaction score
Well I did some digging and apparently at one point people thought the A957 was the Droid Pro. (Gotta love rumors) Well I found some posts in the DroidPro forums that mention a leaked file named VRZ_A957_2.4.5_1FF_01.sbf which probably is the much-sought-after R2D2 sbf file. Problem is they never could get anything from that file so the download links are dead and all links refer to "the right" sbf for the Droid Pro. Problem is this is probably the file we need to flash the R2D2 phone back to stock. I just wish someone had it and could post it.

Ben

dimmer_is_a_DJ

Reaction score
I don't know if the R2D2 SBF is in one if these but here is a listing of stock Motorola SBF 's. Hope this helps. I've used these quite a few times with my og DROID as well as my DROID x. The links for rsd lite are outdated though as it is now on version 5.something.

Im not familiar with the one click method (I dunno if that's surprising to people). I've always used RSD lite and SBF as well as SBF_Flash when using linux. Do tell.

EDIT : forgot the link lol

https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dimmer_is_a_DJ

Reaction score
Sadly nothing of use there.

Ben

Il keep searching. To be honest this is the first I heard of the r2d2 DROID and only cuz my droidforums app displayed the thread on start up. I notice its pretty old and I think I might've resurrected it from the dead with my post regarding contacts, maybe not I should look before speaking lol. Im at work tho so its kinda post on the fly type deal. Ill let you know if I discover anything. My bro works for Verizon and is pretty deep in the company. Prior tech support back when they actually used that business model of customer service rather the now popular, give us your phone and here's a refurbished one, maybe he can dig up the file somehow.

chasehammer

Reaction score
Guys i found the guy that originally had the A957 SBF (R2D2). He wont give it out. He is selling it for $50. So not looking good.

Zottig

Reaction score
Yeah, he paid $50 for it according to the original thread thinking it was a DroidPro rom. That's too bad. I'd almost consider it if I could be sure it was an actual sbf that could be updated with the two updates to get to GB without issue. But without that assurance I wouldn't want to spend the money.

Ben

chasehammer

Reaction score
Everyone pitch in $5 lol THIS SUCKS!!

I cant believe one person would hold out...so much for "for the good of the scene"

Zottig

Reaction score
Oh if he got stung paying $50 for it to begin with and it wasn't what it was supposed to be I can see him being upset and wanting to get what he has out of it. I can't say I blame him too much. But yeah, it'd be cool if it were just released. I don't know how many would want to pitch in. Sounds like many are getting replacements. Still I think having an SBF would be beneficial as I think this phone will linger on as a collectible and people might be using them as PDAs or as part of their collection even after they've moved onto other phones.

Ben

SlateJones

Reaction score
where did he get this sbf? where do you "buy" these files and who sells them? If it is truly the file we need, why is this person the only one on the planet that has it? and why is he wanting to charge us for it? If it cant be found anywhere else, I will buy it. Right now I talking with the moderators at the motorola support forums trying to get the sbf. hopefully i will get lucky.