Official OTA ICS Update Guide for Droid Razr & Razr MAXX - adapted from rda990's

ncshawng

Reaction score
How do you get the widget names working correctly following the update? When I attempt to add a widget to the screen, a list of widgets come up, but the text isn't there unless you touch an entry lightly. Anyone else seen this? How do you fix?

fireisfun

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their comments and help. I had to use different threads to fix my RAZR, but now I am happily running ICS. The phone was soft bricked, battery ran down, and I was becoming frustrated. As my wife keep me laughing to keep me from screaming I gathered everything I needed to fix the phone. I made the factory cable using MotoCache1's thread. I kept checking the leads to make sure I didn't mess up the phone or laptop. Satisfied I plug it in and it booted up with no problem. I then moved on to mattlgroff's Droid Razr Utility to get the phone up and running. I hope he enjoys the beer. Then I used computerfixer412's step by step instructions to get ICS on the first try without any problems at all. After the battery is charged, I will be eager to see if the global functions work. Thanks again.

A little advice for the inexperienced, read the entire thread first before crying for help. Your question has probably already been answered.

Same story man. I let my battery run too low and it failed on the first attempt. Bummer. I tried the "no factory cable required" charging thread to no avail, I guess it doesn't work if you have already started the upgrade. So I rummaged through my old cable selection to find some donor parts and ended up buying some $14 adapter at Radio Shack to make my own factory cable (I attached a pic because it's frickin sweet ;) ). This was a PITA and took me like 3 hours because of my crappy solder iron. But after I got it done and tested (I checked the connections like a dozen times and even checked first using my work blackberry, ssshhhh!) I re-did the steps above and I was running ICS within 10 minutes. Now MY wife is mad at me for being grumpy, so time to go make up ;)

Thanks all, you rock!!

P.S. This is my first android phone and I've had it for less than a month, if I can do this. Anyone can!

View attachment 51794

mikegentryfl

Reaction score
Man, you guys aren't making this easy for me. I really wanna do it out of boredom and the fact that I've been craving ICS for months now, but I'm very very paranoid about doing something to my phone.

Just go ahead and take the plunge. The new interface is awesome.

OP
C

computerfixer412

Reaction score
Computerfixer, your step 12. From Step 4 files (Files extracted to C:\), double click on the "DroidRAZRUtility.bat" file. But the files you said to exrtact to C:\ aren't the ones you said to do that to in step 7. I'm confused!

You are right, that was from step 7. Thanks!

Halcyon01

Reaction score
Just go ahead and take the plunge. The new interface is awesome.

I actually manned up and did it yesterday, and I agree, UI is nice. There was a guy on YouTube who had a video showing how to do it, and it turned out just fine. Couldn't be happier with it.

ReverendOD

Reaction score
I actually manned up and did it yesterday, and I agree, UI is nice. There was a guy on YouTube who had a video showing how to do it, and it turned out just fine. Couldn't be happier with it.

Same here. I did the upgrade today went flawless. Loving ICS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mauiphil

Reaction score
Thank you for this thread. I had been trying to update for several days until I ran across this. It worked flawlessly the first time. Patients is needed for sure, I think this was the longest wait for an upgrade in a while.

Thank you again, From Maui

technomadictourist

Reaction score
Stuck at "writing 'cdt.bin'"

I am trying to use the Fastboot utility and continually get stuck at the "writing 'cdt.bin'" step.

This is part of the Fastboot process described in the tutorial using the DroidRazrUtility.

I am on a rooted Razr Maxx running 2.3.6. I have tried the manual update OTA and it fails. I believe I have kept all of the system apps so as not to have conflicts.

The ICS file is in root of the sdcard, and the DroidRazrUtility is extracted and run from C:\

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

PhoenixOnFire

Reaction score
After running 1.07 my phone will not reboot. The screen shuts off after displaying the moto logo. any suggestions

I am having the same problem. It will not go to the menu that allows me to reboot in recovery mode. Did you find a solution? Does anyone else have advice?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. It will not go to the menu that allows me to reboot in recovery mode. Did you find a solution? Does anyone else have advice?
Ok, lets start from scratch...what system version are you running...menu>setting>about phone. If your phone will not boot, then do you remember what system version you were on? Or, are you still on Gingerbread and did you flash one of the ICS leaks? If you flashed one of the ICS leaks which one?

PhoenixOnFire

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. I am unsure which version it was running, and unable to boot phone to find out. However, I solved the original problem by releasing and repressing power button while still holding down both volume buttons. I went to recovery>from sd card>Blur)Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US(1).zip. (The (1) is because I ended up downloading it twice and put the second d/l'd version on sd).

When I selected this, I get:

--Install /sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. I am unsure which version it was running, and unable to boot phone to find out. However, I solved the original problem by releasing and repressing power button while still holding down both volume buttons. I went to recovery>from sd card>Blur)Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US(1).zip. (The (1) is because I ended up downloading it twice and put the second d/l'd version on sd).

When I selected this, I get:

--Install /sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
Question, did you put the .zip on the sd card or the external sd card? It has to be on the external sd card.

PhoenixOnFire

Reaction score
Question, did you put the .zip on the sd card or the external sd card? It has to be on the external sd card.

There were two options. One began with MOT and the other was a letter drive. I put it on the letter drive.