Official myLock thread - we don't like the lockscreen

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
installed version 2b and my lock no longer bypasses the lock screen. tried uninstalling and reinstalling alpha 1 and alpha 2 seperately and none of the versions work! nothing has changed on my droid. no new apps. what did alpha2b change that caused this?

xanthus1132

Reaction score
Make sure the app is running (MyLock droid icon is in the notification bar) you may have to toggle it on by pressing the only toggle button there when you initially run the app. The newest version is working perfectly for me and love how much faster it is when it is running in "foreground".

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a critical service crash. this would happen on the emulator at times during testing, wherein restarting the service would not help because the actual OS was blocking the operation at that point. It does this for security when the lockscreen commands aren't resolved properly (such as in the case of a crash the command sequence can never finish so android views it as a security threat).

reboot the device but make sure to check foreground mode first to ensure that it will restart safely at the boot foreground priority.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
It took me a about an hour to understand what it was doing for me and i love it, i dont understand what foreground / background toggle does, sorry noob here:)

Everything works great and not haveing to slide all the time makes my day, but everytime a call comes in i get a force close. Any ideas?

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
That never happened before. I programmed a new way of avoiding a bug where the lockscreen would come back during calls, and in the test environment it worked perfectly as well as when i tested making a call. however it just happened as i tried calling the phone and picking up the call. I think I know why actually. It's trying to call a command that tells it to stop listening for screen on event twice, both when the call starts ringing, and when the call is answered. so on that second time, android force closes it because I'm trying to "flush" something that doesn't even exist. Programming tends to get all kinds of messed up when you try to do something to something that doesn't actually exist.

I can fix that very easily. Next update will have that fix and a couple more tweaks to stay awake mode.

Foreground mode is really pretty irrelevant to your end functionality. It's cosmetic, because I run the lockscreen skip outside of any one "Screen", allowing it to persist and happen anytime it needs to. Foreground just gives you an icon in the notifications so you can pop into the settings to turn stay awake on or off anytime you would like, more efficiently. I like it, personally, some don't. That's why I added the toggle to get rid of the icon.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
That never happened before. I programmed a new way of avoiding a bug where the lockscreen would come back during calls, and in the test environment it worked perfectly as well as when i tested making a call. however it just happened as i tried calling the phone and picking up the call. I think I know why actually. It's trying to call a command that tells it to stop listening for screen on event twice, both when the call starts ringing, and when the call is answered. so on that second time, android force closes it because I'm trying to "flush" something that doesn't even exist. Programming tends to get all kinds of messed up when you try to do something to something that doesn't actually exist.

I can fix that very easily. Next update will have that fix and a couple more tweaks to stay awake mode.

Foreground mode is really pretty irrelevant to your end functionality. It's cosmetic, because I run the lockscreen skip outside of any one "Screen", allowing it to persist and happen anytime it needs to. Foreground just gives you an icon in the notifications so you can pop into the settings to turn stay awake on or off anytime you would like, more efficiently. I like it, personally, some don't. That's why I added the toggle to get rid of the icon.

Thanks for fast response, im still useing the app as it does not stop or hinder the call, great app:) oh i like the little green guy.

Dom87SS

Reaction score
i just got my droid last night on a trail to replace my blackberry. the button the slide lock was annoying. so a search yielded this app. i just loaded it, and works as it says it does. one less thing to dislike so far...and it hasnt even been 24 hours. thanks

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
I've posted the version 2c minor update. please visit the blog for details and download. Hope no silly errors on my part this time around, tried to test a lot of minor cases for behavior consistency and it seems solid.

veggiedave

Reaction score
Will try downloading again. One thing I noticed was that at some points when I hit the unlock button the backlight would come on. But it would just be a black screen for like 3-4 seconds. Anyone else get this?

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Finally got time to try this out. Used my phone browser to visit the page, downloaded the 2c apk file, tried to run it, but got this error message:

"There is a problem parsing the package."

I'm using a Milestone 2.0. Any ideas?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a critical service crash. this would happen on the emulator at times during testing, wherein restarting the service would not help because the actual OS was blocking the operation at that point. It does this for security when the lockscreen commands aren't resolved properly (such as in the case of a crash the command sequence can never finish so android views it as a security threat).

reboot the device but make sure to check foreground mode first to ensure that it will restart safely at the boot foreground priority.

installed version 2b and my lock no longer bypasses the lock screen. tried uninstalling and reinstalling alpha 1 and alpha 2 seperately and none of the versions work! nothing has changed on my droid. no new apps. what did alpha2b change that caused this?

Update: After my issue posted... I powered down the device and restarted... still didn't work, so I did a battery pull and alpha 1 worked again. I've since tried installing alpha 2 and 2b again. 2 works sometimes and 2b I find does not bypass the lock screen at all. I've stuck with alpha 1 because it works.
Good news was, this time installing 2 and 2b didn't cause 1 not to work.
I'm gonna give 2c a try. Keep you posted if anything comes up.
Great work by the way! Such a simple app but I love it!

OP
petjakob

petjakob

Reaction score
Looks like that error apparently comes when you try to directly launch the apk from something like an attachment. I wonder if using the stock browser also causes it. I am always able to install in one click when I save these releases from the site in dolphin browser. Another solution would be to use a file explorer to launch it. I think androzip is an example of such.

Martin, hope you find 2c to be working well. I've been running it with no issues and trying out all the different toggles at various times to show my coworkers.

I'm next going to implement a new mode (not new but just make this a feature while at the same time putting out a standalone app that runs it without settings bloat) - lite mode, which is the alpha 1 method. the benefit is you will never get a flicker of the lockscreen, resulting in a slightly faster and smoother user experience. lite mode trades the home/search button shortcut initialization (the required security authentication that completes the lockscreen exit) for this cleaner feel. that means that in lite mode you can still use the home shortcut recent apps switcher, but it only gets initialized once you've pressed home once (completing the exit of the hidden lockscreen). so lite mode is obviously there for those of us who don't really need/use the app switcher. I literally keep all the apps I'm regularly using on my bottom 8 cells on the home and that works perfectly for me.

from there, the plan is the complete app will go beta after i have shake interaction and the utilities widgets implemented. i might save the wakeup home with working widget display for the "full" release and not even try to place it in the beta, we'll see how much progress i can make on that idea.

i really want to release on the market sometime soon. if every person that really benefits from using myLock every day donated just 1 dollar we could get on the market and make your updating experience so much smoother.

aamzalag

Reaction score
Hey petjakob, if you start a donation link or have one somewhere, ill start us off. this app has been unbelievably useful to me, and if donating a few bucks would get it working smoother, better, and updated faster illbe the first to donate. shoot me an email with a link or something, cuz i dont check the forum all too often. [email protected]

Dom87SS

Reaction score
lockup app stopped working this morning for some reason. it was working, then while messaging it stopped working. dont know whats up with it.