****Official FroYo Rollout Thread-Version2!****

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
FRG83? Anyone know what's in that one?
Not gonna lose patience this time myself, cos my phone is actually running very nicely with FRG22D unrooted -- except for sometimes the 3G becomes 1x. I figure I'd probably better keep an eye on that for a while before I get experimental...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Wow, well done Furbearingmamal. With your and other peoples help here, I've been Froyo and Flash running for weeks. Just got my notice last week, Ha! Too late buddy!

At any rate verify the that you've renamed the file update.zip not update.zip.zip. I did that and got an error message. It's really a piece of cake.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
FRG83? Anyone know what's in that one?
Not gonna lose patience this time myself, cos my phone is actually running very nicely with FRG22D unrooted -- except for sometimes the 3G becomes 1x. I figure I'd probably better keep an eye on that for a while before I get experimental...

The report I saw said that the largest part of it was to fix the exploit Universal AndRoot uses to root phones.

Who DID NOT see that coming? :)

If you're going to root, folks, do it now... The next update always plugs holes!

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I suppose that would mean they're changing the bootloader again or anyone would just be able to go back to FRG22D ...phooey.

mjmesserli

Reaction score
I just updated. the update said it was 2.3. Now my X isn't working at all. It's been about 15 minutes and I can't get anything to work. Black screen! Any ideas?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just updated. the update said it was 2.3. Now my X isn't working at all. It's been about 15 minutes and I can't get anything to work. Black screen! Any ideas?

You're in the wrong thread for this. But unfortunately there have been several people who have had issues with the ota. The update couldn't be 2.3, that's impossible.

Take it in to your Verizon store and let them know it bricked your phone.

TweakedSystems

Reaction score
Downloading update at this moment! woohoo
*Update* 9/27 Well everything seems to be working fine,but I don't like the fact that there is no option to use a password instead of visible pattern. :huh:
I'm still trying to set up the audio options,doesn't appear to be any. Other than the silent mode..

scottp1074

Reaction score
Froyo update 2.3.15

Update successful and running with no issues... 6pm today.. slow connection due to location but install took about 30 mins (wasnt there the whole time though). Had a few odd message like a bluetooth file transfer was attempted. All in all set in the corner of lecture room went back in 15 mins accepted the file for install and 15 mins later done.

dannydoes

Reaction score
Ok, so the "fanboys" on here are not going to like this, but maybe you can offer some help to turn me back to happy.

I think Froyo 2.2 is the most overhyped disappointing update yet. After hearing promises of 3 to 10 times performance speed, faster browsing, etc etc. I've experienced none of that. The phone is nearly identical, except for this list of problems.

Internet seemed at best 5 % faster the first week, but now it is actually slower than I remember.

The screen is less responsive: Every time I turn on the phone and swipe my password, the phone will never recognize my first swipe to go to a page to the left or right. I always, 99% of the time, have to swipe two or three times before it wakes up. Also, sometimes when I hit the icons, they don't launch the apps, I have to hit it one or two times more.

The pinch zoom barely works, I spread my fingers on the screen and it barely zooms at all sometimes. It's not cuz I'm [Edited by FoxKat for content], even though I am a little, because on the iPhone, I can perform it flawlessly.

Camera seems to take forever to load sometimes. It doesn't matter how high the megapixels are if the images are always blurry.

Flash is useless. It plays back the animations so slowly, you can't use it. I don't see the point of rolling this out when it doesn't work.

Sometimes I get text messages and there is no notification light (Handcent). This never happened before the update.

Notifications re-order themselves a second or two after you swipe it down, so half the time I push email, it switches a nanosecond before I hit it, and I open the weather channel app. Then I have to sit there and wait till it loads, just to close it again, and try again. (this may be weather channel app suckage but I never saw this till the update)

Seems in general, they've added some nice features and settings, but they took away the polished feeling of the interface. It feels clunky now. That's the one thing the iPhone has over android IMO, the interface always feels good and snappy and precise.

I don't use a whole ton of features and settings every day, but I use the interface and the scrolling every time I touch the phone. I'd just like to see an improvement on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

billjohnson

Reaction score
I'm going to say this as nice as possible. For starters, if you're not rooted and running a Custom ROM which unlocks a plethora of possibilities, then don't post this stuff on the forum. The devs here have no control over performance issues on stock OTA (over the air) updates, they simply turn a good update into an amazing one. If you want to get into custom ROMs I and most others on here would love to answer any question you have! But, if you don't want to root and have issues with the current speed of your device, go buy a Droid X or something that's natively clocked at 1.0Ghz or more. By the way if your screen isn't as response that might be more of a hardware issue than software....Have a great day friend!

dannydoes

Reaction score
uh... actually...

I'm going to say this as nice as possible. For starters, if you're not rooted and running a Custom ROM which unlocks a plethora of possibilities, then don't post this stuff on the forum. The devs here have no control over performance issues on stock OTA (over the air) updates, they simply turn a good update into an amazing one. If you want to get into custom ROMs I and most others on here would love to answer any question you have! But, if you don't want to root and have issues with the current speed of your device, go buy a Droid X or something that's natively clocked at 1.0Ghz or more. By the way if your screen isn't as response that might be more of a hardware issue than software....Have a great day friend!

The title of this thread is "Official Froyo Rollout Thread Version 2" which says to me, this is the place to comment on the "official rollout of Froyo" No where in the title does it say anything about rooting or custom ROMs. So I think your response, while useless and inflammatory, is misplaced.

And btw, the iphone doesn't have to be 1ghz to run a smooth interface, so why does android?

It's not a hardware issue. The hardward didn't change, the software did. I never had the poor response before the software change.

But thanks anyway, for nothing, "friend"

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
If you received the OTA update, sometimes things don't really go all that well with them replacing the OS but trying to keep your phone apps/settings/etc... all in place. Apple makes you connect your phone to the computer where it backs everything up, then writes out the update then writes out the backup (apps/settings). Android attempts to do it all over the air, from the phone, on the phone.

With the type issues you are describing I would do a factory reset on the phone and re-sign in with your gmail account and set the phone back up. This will make sure all 2.1-update1 crap if flushed out completely.

This has helped a few people improve the responsiveness and function of their phone.

You may or may not have to manually reinstall all the apps you've downloaded. All the purchased apps will show in the market under downloads. If you have the options to "backup my data" and "automatic restore" check under Settings/Privacy you may have all the apps (paid and free) download automatically and install.

Factory data reset is also located there.....it will wipe the phone of all user configured data (it will not touch your SD Card) and make like a fresh phone but running the current ROM you have (be it stock Froyo or a custom ROM).

Try that......

dannydoes

Reaction score
If you received the OTA update, sometimes things don't really go all that well with them replacing the OS but trying to keep your phone apps/settings/etc... all in place. Apple makes you connect your phone to the computer where it backs everything up, then writes out the update then writes out the backup (apps/settings). Android attempts to do it all over the air, from the phone, on the phone.

With the type issues you are describing I would do a factory reset on the phone and re-sign in with your gmail account and set the phone back up. This will make sure all 2.1-update1 crap if flushed out completely.

This has helped a few people improve the responsiveness and function of their phone.

You may or may not have to manually reinstall all the apps you've downloaded. All the purchased apps will show in the market under downloads. If you have the options to "backup my data" and "automatic restore" check under Settings/Privacy you may have all the apps (paid and free) download automatically and install.

Factory data reset is also located there.....it will wipe the phone of all user configured data (it will not touch your SD Card) and make like a fresh phone but running the current ROM you have (be it stock Froyo or a custom ROM).

Try that......

Thanks TCrews,

That sounds like a good idea. I've always been scared to do it though. I'm confident Gmail will back up my contacts, and my apps can be re-downloaded, but what about apps that have user data like acar, which tracks all your expenses, or game apps like robo defense, where I have tons of saved games and level progression. I don't know or have a way of knowing where those apps store that information, and if it can be restored after the reboot. Any ideas?