"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

wooddale

Reaction score
Got a question I installed Juice Defender. From what I can see with Juice enabled there seems to be some lag before phone gets a signal when it turns off. Does Juice shut the signal off to save battery then turn it on when you go to use phone? Im in this damn extended service area with a network extender I dont know how this phone is supposed to act. Cant wait to get home in my 4G coverage area to see how it works.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I don't like juice defender it turns the data on and off

Gave me connectivity issues for one, and it probably kills your battery more turning on and off

just put a widget on your screen and shut data off when you don't need it it's not that difficult

I found that if I do things this way I can afford to use 4g all the time, don't have to save battery with 3g.

Jaycea22

Reaction score
Got a question I installed Juice Defender. From what I can see with Juice enabled there seems to be some lag before phone gets a signal when it turns off. Does Juice shut the signal off to save battery then turn it on when you go to use phone? Im in this damn extended service area with a network extender I dont know how this phone is supposed to act. Cant wait to get home in my 4G coverage area to see how it works.

Wooddale, that's correct. JD takes about 10-15 seconds to toggle the signal back on. I don't mind the delay so much since it installing and configuring JD has saved me batter life while the phone is on standby mode.

JD works for people like me that have the phone in standby for a significant time. Last time I unplugged my bionic from the charger just to see and this morning I woke up w 95% battery. Before JD it would have been somewhere between 75-85%.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Schoeney

Reaction score
Day 3 with extended battery. No special settings, Have not downloaded any special battery saving apps like Juice Defender. Just took the extended battery out of the box, put it in the phone (had 30% at the time) powered off the phone, then stuck it on the charger overnight to 100 %.

Day 3 - heavy use. Lots of talk and internet. 19 hours later I still had 40%!! and more importantly I wasn't constantly worried/watching my battery life. The extra $25 for the extended battery was well worth the price. VZ shouldn't even sell the Bionic without the extended battery.......world of difference.

Psychlone

Reaction score
I don't like juice defender it turns the data on and off

Gave me connectivity issues for one, and it probably kills your battery more turning on and off

just put a widget on your screen and shut data off when you don't need it it's not that difficult

I found that if I do things this way I can afford to use 4g all the time, don't have to save battery with 3g.

That used to be the case with UJ/JD in the past, but it's NOT the case with the Bionic so far (general consensus)

Wooddale, that's correct. JD takes about 10-15 seconds to toggle the signal back on. I don't mind the delay so much since it installing and configuring JD has saved me batter life while the phone is on standby mode.

JD works for people like me that have the phone in standby for a significant time. Last time I unplugged my bionic from the charger just to see and this morning I woke up w 95% battery. Before JD it would have been somewhere between 75-85%.

I've found if you do a few power cycles (fully discharge, recharge to 100%) while running Juice each time, that lag doesn't take so long... mine is down to roughly 3-4 seconds at worst.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys knew this or not, but the notification you get from JD in your notification bar up top, well you can pull down, tap the JD icon and it will toggle data for you almost instantly. Yes, there IS still a bit of lag there, but what's an extra second in lieu of longer battery time?

I'm not going to post the template I made because none of my phone settings have changed, and I've got about the same amount of calls/texts and overall usage as when I created that template.
BUT, after running JD/UJ on AGGRESSIVE for several days of full power cycles, I just cleared 48 hours on a single charge - on the STANDARD battery.

Usage is the highest determining factor here, and I know I don't use my phone like many of you, but I use it all the time... I'm just not always messing around with it, I have computers for the internet, games and youtube, so I really use my phone for it's apps, calls and texts.

My Cell Standby:44%
Phone Idle: 42%
Voice Calls: 9%
Display: 3%
WiFi: 2%
Android OS: 2%

revelated

Reaction score
After having used the Bionic for many days, I have what I consider to be the most information as to how its battery is consumed, and how to conserve it. To the point that I am now peaking at 30 hours estimated on the STANDARD battery. That's tremendous. It is also not representative of a "normal" user; but you need to know that it really is an efficient battery when used properly, and can garner anywhere from 10-16 hours of battery life when treated properly. Extended batteries can last anywhere from 16 to a peak of 50 hours of use when managed properly.

I have 6 videos that I have posted under my TemptingGuides section that talk about the 6 target areas that one must pay attention to in order to improve your battery. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share the playlist. Don't want to solicit anything that isn't of value. In short though: it's not the phone, it's how you use it.

yiannis

Reaction score
After having used the Bionic for many days, I have what I consider to be the most information as to how its battery is consumed, and how to conserve it. To the point that I am now peaking at 30 hours estimated on the STANDARD battery. That's tremendous. It is also not representative of a "normal" user; but you need to know that it really is an efficient battery when used properly, and can garner anywhere from 10-16 hours of battery life when treated properly. Extended batteries can last anywhere from 16 to a peak of 50 hours of use when managed properly.

I have 6 videos that I have posted under my TemptingGuides section that talk about the 6 target areas that one must pay attention to in order to improve your battery. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share the playlist. Don't want to solicit anything that isn't of value. In short though: it's not the phone, it's how you use it.

Do tell.

Jaycea22

Reaction score
I agree w yiannis..what's your secret?

revelated

Reaction score
Playlist is here: Motorola Droid Bionic - YouTube

I should add that while I am somewhere between moderate and heavy in terms of general data usage, I don't do a lot of video streaming, and I may do 1 or 2 calls a month if that. All of my IMs go through Google Voice. I don't use any social networking apps on this phone, either, because if I really wanted to I could just go to their mobile websites and do it that way which saves data. But I live and breathe on the browser, news, and email...I just don't sync data, I manually check for it when I'm ready. By the way, the browser being used constantly is a straight up battery hog for real that most people don't realize. So I try not to open too many windows, and I bounce between the built-in browser and Dolphin HD.

Basically, after thinking about it, I realized that I just don't need to have things sent to me "instantly" anymore. I can just go and check for whatever when there's free time.

I feel compelled to caveat that people who are literally heavy users - those that just can't disconnect themselves from FaceBook or Twitter or whatever for more than 2 minutes, or who stream constantly for hours at a time - will find no value in these. These tips will only help those that are willing and able to change how they use the phone in the interest of battery savings.

Last edited:

grrouchie

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Revelated.

While I don't think that I'll turn off most of the stuff like you have I definitely learned a few things about my phone watching your video's.

wooddale

Reaction score
I dont know what to think. I am disapointed in the battery life of the droid. I have a Thunderbolt and thought battery life was bad on it one of the reasons I got the Bionic. They are about the same the Bionic may be worse. JD does help a lot. When I use my phone I use my phone surffing the net, texts, phone so I do use the phone. Like I said before if you use your phone your gonna use battery no matter what you do gotta get over it. Just a note though my TB is rooted BAMF forever and the Bionic is faster stock. I will root my Bionic again (un rooted) when we get some roms other than TIBU there is no reason to but I am a flash addict and $ht happens.

revelated

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Revelated.

While I don't think that I'll turn off most of the stuff like you have I definitely learned a few things about my phone watching your video's.

Mind if I ask what specific items you decided not to turn off? I'm quite confident I can convince you otherwise. It makes sense when you really sit down and think about some of the settings.

chowyenfats

Reaction score
I dont know what to think. I am disapointed in the battery life of the droid. I have a Thunderbolt and thought battery life was bad on it one of the reasons I got the Bionic. They are about the same the Bionic may be worse. JD does help a lot. When I use my phone I use my phone surffing the net, texts, phone so I do use the phone. Like I said before if you use your phone your gonna use battery no matter what you do gotta get over it. Just a note though my TB is rooted BAMF forever and the Bionic is faster stock. I will root my Bionic again (un rooted) when we get some roms other than TIBU there is no reason to but I am a flash addict and $ht happens.

The battery life on the Droid bionic its very good, you must have some things running in the back ground.

chowyenfats

Reaction score
If you are having battery issues check out these videos [video=youtube;cvWg7SbUgsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWg7SbUgsI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

TeeX

Reaction score
The battery life on the Droid bionic its very good, you must have some things running in the back ground.

agreed. I just got almost 30 hours with moderately heavy use, with 5 hours of screen time on - on my stock battery. I could not be happier with my battery performance.