Odd app install issue

Gareee

Reaction score
Hopefully someone here can help.

I have no problem installing smaller apps from marketplace at all, and plenty of space on both my phone and on my sd card.

BUT if I try to install something larger, the installs error out (error 18, unknown)

Sometimes I can put the apk on my sd card and install it from there, other times that still fails.

This was occurring before soak, and I've completely cleared and reformatted my sd card, and also went from froyo to soak, and the issue still persists.

The latest issue program is aldiko. I used to have it installed, removed it months ago, and now of course I cannot install it at all.

Any ideas what I can do to clear this up? I'm pretty sure I did a complete cleaning of my phone for soak.

Help!

CxUNG

Reaction score
Sometimes I can put the apk on my sd card and install it from there, other times that still fails.
^ Do you have Unknown sources checked ?

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go to settings/application/manage application's/all tab/select market/force stop/clear cache/clear data. This will reset your market and it will download your apps again. It should fix the download unsuccessful error as well. If not, unmount sd card prior to download

OP
G

Gareee

Reaction score
Yep unknown sources are checked. I'll try your sdvice, Droid-xer.

EDIT: Nope, no change. I do get the downloads successfully, but the installs are what fails. I'll try an install with the sd card removed and see if that could be a potential issue.

EDIT2: Removing the sd card DOES in fact correct the issue. Is there a folder there that needs to be cleared if there is corrupt install data on it? A cache or something?

I'd like to know what IS going on, in case I see it again in the future, or if my wife's DX ends up with the same issue.

dtsig

Reaction score
Removing/unmount is just one of the solutions that have been found the app installation problem. it can't be a missing folder as it works without any folders. Just one of the little peculiarities of the DX

OP
G

Gareee

Reaction score
The problem I run into is mainly with apps we want installed on both our phones. I can backup an app off my wife's phone, and then transfer it to my phone on the sd card, but then cannot of course install it if its one of the "problem children".

If there was a file manager that just gave me access to a folder on the phone memory itself, that would be an easy solution, because once there, I could unmount the sd card, and then install it from phone memory.

Needless to say though, thats a hellah lot of work for something that shouldn't be having issues.

Its also especially annoying when out and about, because there are times you stumble across something you could really use then and there, only to find out it won't install.

LuciferRex

Reaction score
I've noticed this on mine as well. Unmounting the SD card works 100% of the time, but boy is it annoying

OP
G

Gareee

Reaction score
Nice to know I'm not alone. It seems the larger apps have issues, but all the smaller ones are fine. I wonder if something if just checking available install space incorrectly?