Obsolete?

Robotica

Reaction score
I'm sorry if a post about this has been posted already; feel free to point me in the right direction if it has been, or move this thread to an appropriate area.

With 4g LTE services being everywhere by the end of 2013, I'm starting to feel concerned with 3G becoming obsolete. I want to renew my contract soon and jump on the smartphone bandwagon and thus being hopefully "grandfathered" in to unlimited data. My choice is to stay with my original choice of getting on 3G (and getting the X2) or getting a 4G phone and not having to worry about losing unlimited data with a new plan, even though I don't like either of the options currently.

What do you guys think? Will 3G become obsolete once 4G is in full force?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Depending on how you look at it, it's already obsolete now. The thing is though, they won't just shut off 3g at some point so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get a 3g phone. I would say its a good idea to get a 4g phone now though because they may be switching to tiered data plans over the summer.

tappin and a talkin

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
there are no plans to shut down any 3g networks.... 3g will continue to stay active along side 4g LTE. just like now when you cant connect to 3g your able to pick up a 1x connection while its slow it still allows data.

LTE will be the primary network while 3g will be a fallback when your unable to connect to 4g LTE.

OP
Robotica

Robotica

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. It's nice to know I can still get a 3G device without having to worry about it!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
with 4g out right now, consider 3g obsolete.

but like what many of the others posted, 3g won't be going away for a long long time.

Just to reassure you my friend just picked up the DX2 and it's awesome. Support for 3g devices only are still going to be well supported.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Well verizon JUST released the X2, which is a 3G device, so it won't be obsolete for a long time.

And I have no need for 4G anyway.
Though it'd be nice, I can wait an extra 30 seconds for downloads, and an extra 3 seconds on web browsing.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that 3g is obsolete. The next phone I choose to buy will have to have 4g. I initially disliked tiered plans and resisted 4g. But if it is anything like Att's tiered data plans, it will not be so bad (Att: $25 for 2gb/month).

In about a year VZW 3g will be irrelevant and people will be going to ebay and swappa to sell thier 3g phones they bought this year, because they want a 4g one.

Oowoon

Reaction score
Im in no rush to get a 4g phone. I already got this thing for another year, I might get 4G when my contract is up, but even then, I don't know.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums