Numerous Issues since update to ICS 4.0.4...

jimpido

Reaction score
Alright, so I've had the Droid Razr Maxx since it came out, haven't had any problems at all with it, worked great before the ICS update. Update downloaded and installed just fine, no errors, on my rooted device. (Had to re-root because I didn't think to install "rootkeeper" before updating) but alas, root installed just fine. Now (and prior to re-root) I've had nothing but problems. For starters, the onscreen keyboard only works when it wants to, when i restart the device, it works just fine for about ten minutes, if I'm lucky and then stops. The keyboard pops up, and it responds to touch, but nothing is placed in the text field. I've tried installing other keyboards and still no luck. Next, my phone will start to get extremely hot to the touch even when I'm not doing anything and its just sitting somewhere or in my pocket and the device with restart itself. As for restarting, I know thats probably just a fail safe so as to not fry the cpu, but I still don't know why its happening. And last but not least, the system seems to be running very slow, slow enough so that its draining the battery within a few short hours and that touch input wont even recognize anything for a few seconds after I've already touched the icon making the device think at some times that I'm doing a long press, while in reality it was just a touch. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the new look and feel of ICS and it would be awesome if it could work... I'm nowhere close to being new to android and rooting so I'm down to try any ideas to get my phone back to its old tricks.

NOTE*
Only Stock apps, Instagram, Superuser, and a system monitor app are installed
System Version: 6.16.211.XT912
Android Version: 4.0.4
Kernel Version: 3.0.8-g29cf5e7
Build Number: 6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31

furbymac

Reaction score
Have u done a factory reset? Alot of people have reported that it gets rid of alot of issues. It help my phone out tremendously

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I agree with furbymac, you are going to want to do a factory data reset. Backup your stuff you want to restore and bite the bullet, I am sure you ICS experience will be better after that.

OP
jimpido

jimpido

Reaction score
I just did a complete factory reset from the recovery menu of the device about 3 and a half hours ago and so far the only thing that seems to be working that wasnt before is the pop up keyboard issue. Right off the bat, it started restarting itself every half hour or so... All the other problems are still persistent. =[

The Keyboard doesn't work again now too... >_<

OP
jimpido

jimpido

Reaction score
Alright, so I have everything fixed now, I did the factory reset again from the recovery menu and took out the SIM card and SD Card for the night. The next morning I went back to my phone and everything was running great. no issues at all, I replaced the SIM and SD Card and everything still works. I'm assuming that in taking out the two cards, it did a device refresh and re-loaded the drivers to run those two removable media devices and in doing so it fixed the problem. I'm going to post this into other threads of people who are having the same issues I was and hopefully, it will helkp them as well and shed some light on a bug fix for this issue. Thanks for everyones help. =]dancedroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks jimpido for this update. Many times we don't find out whether a person's problems have been solved so it is always nice when someone lets us know what worked and adds to the benefit of what we do on this forum. Thank you! And yes, it surely will help others experiencing the same problems.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
A testament that doing two FDR's will often straighten things out.. and for some odd reason one isn't... :what: idk why.. but it works.

GrmReaper

Reaction score
I was about to take my Razr to Verizon this weekend because mine has been doing the same thing; glad someone found a fix. Worked like a charm...thanks!

JediBeavis

Reaction score
Since the update, about 1/2 of the times I open Angry Birds, it crashes causing the phone to reboot itself. What's up with that $#!%?:mad:

JediBeavis

Reaction score
Angry Birds has updated, completely reinstalling from scratch, twice since I noticed this problem. Maybe they're trying to fix it?