Need help with razr custom rom

khalos

Reaction score
hi guys ive been out of the scene for a while (since droid 1, now have droid razr)... i have a few questions regarding the installation of a custom rom. i managed to get root access now i just need some advice of where to go from here? once i install safestrap how do i update to jellybean kernel and install custom rom? thanks.

Device Info:
DROID RAZR
Android Version: 4.0.4
System version: 6.16.211xXT912.verizon.en.US
kernel Version: 3.0.8-g29cf5e7
Baseband version: CDMA_N_05.11.01PLTEDC_U-09.11.00
Buil Number: 6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
hi guys ive been out of the scene for a while (since droid 1, now have droid razr)... i have a few questions regarding the installation of a custom rom. i managed to get root access now i just need some advice of where to go from here? once i install safestrap how do i update to jellybean kernel and install custom rom? thanks.

Device Info:
DROID RAZR
Android Version: 4.0.4
System version: 6.16.211xXT912.verizon.en.US
kernel Version: 3.0.8-g29cf5e7
Baseband version: CDMA_N_05.11.01PLTEDC_U-09.11.00
Buil Number: 6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31

You may want to wait for the OTA update to JB. There is a JB leak but it has issues. There is a thread by FoxKat that explains how to install it from your sdcard. I recommend that you stick with a custom ROM developed for Ice Cream Sandwich right now. There is a list of ROMs for the RAZR on this forum and on Droidrzr.com. If you install the leak, and aside from its issues, you will be off the upgrade path... In other words you're stuck with what you have... for awhile anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OP
khalos

khalos

Reaction score
You may want to wait for the OTA update to JB. There is a JB leak but it has issues. There is a thread by FoxKat that explains how to install it from your sdcard. I recommend that you stick with a custom ROM developed for Ice Cream Sandwich right now. There is a list of ROMs for the RAZR on this forum and on Droidrzr.com. If you install the leak, and aside from its issues, you will be off the upgrade path... In other words you're stuck with what you have... for awhile anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

thanks alot, i will install Eclipse rom for now untill JB ota :)

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
thanks alot, i will install Eclipse rom for now untill JB ota :)

Actually, issues have only been reported by "some" people. Not by a lot. As stated, it's not an OTA. However, it is DEFINITELY possible to get back on the upgrade path. You're only off the path until the actual OTA comes down. This happened before with this phone on the ICS leaks. Anyway, in short, here is a link to how to get Jelly Bean. If you want to do it, it's on you. I can tell you right now that I've been on it since Christmas Eve and have not had 1 single issue. Does this mean you won't? Of course not, but it also doesn't mean that you will have any.

It's your choice, here's the link with step by step instructions that are fool-proof: [Leaked-Ota][Cdma][4.1.2] Jelly Bean 98.72.8 (12/27/12) - xda-developers

There are also quite a few custom ROMs out already with this Jelly Bean as the base. If you choose to, it's on you.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Actually, issues have only been reported by "some" people. Not by a lot. As stated, it's not an OTA. However, it is DEFINITELY possible to get back on the upgrade path. You're only off the path until the actual OTA comes down. This happened before with this phone on the ICS leaks. Anyway, in short, here is a link to how to get Jelly Bean. If you want to do it, it's on you. I can tell you right now that I've been on it since Christmas Eve and have not had 1 single issue. Does this mean you won't? Of course not, but it also doesn't mean that you will have any.

It's your choice, here's the link with step by step instructions that are fool-proof: [Leaked-Ota][Cdma][4.1.2] Jelly Bean 98.72.8 (12/27/12) - xda-developers

There are also quite a few custom ROMs out already with this Jelly Bean as the base. If you choose to, it's on you.
khalos, spc_hicks09 is right in that you won't know if you'll have problems with the JB leak or not until you install it. What neither one of us explained clearly enough, perphaps, is that once you install the JB leak you are stuck there, there is no going back to ICS. So, if you are having problems with JB or a JB Rom there is no going back to ICS or any other OS version. You'll have to live with your problematic phone until the OTA comes out...and no one knows when that will be for sure. It should be fairly soon, but no one knows for sure. The decision is yours, I just wanted to make sure you understood the risk and the reward.

Reaction score
I had ICS and wanted JB but could not seem to get it to work right. I had safestrap and was following the directions but learned that I needed to ensure I was on safestrap 3.11 and then used the utility in this link

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to..._fromsearch__1

t
o flash the JB kernel onto my RAZR. This did the trick. I have been running JB for a week now. It is nice and fast. My only complaint is that I can not get flashplayer to work yet. I have not flashed the kernel back to the ICS kernel because there is no need.

Hope this helps.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
khalos, spc_hicks09 is right in that you won't know if you'll have problems with the JB leak or not until you install it. What neither one of us explained clearly enough, perphaps, is that once you install the JB leak you are stuck there, there is no going back to ICS. So, if you are having problems with JB or a JB Rom there is no going back to ICS or any other OS version. You'll have to live with your problematic phone until the OTA comes out...and no one knows when that will be for sure. It should be fairly soon, but no one knows for sure. The decision is yours, I just wanted to make sure you understood the risk and the reward.

Sorry about that jp. Didn't mean to step on any toes. You are absolutely correct that he needs to understand the risks first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Sorry about that jp. Didn't mean to step on any toes. You are absolutely correct that he needs to understand the risks first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
No problem here, you didn't step on anyone's toes. After reading your thread and mine I was just afraid that we hadn't made it clear to him that if he had problems or wasn't happy with JB leak that he was stuck with what he had until we got the fastboot files...there was no going back. Your expertise and experience is always welcomed.