Nougat just killed my WIFI

Rekreseb

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung note 5
I Have the old UDP and when my phone just upgraded to Nougat. Pooof no more wifi hotspot . I am a little torqued.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Wife hotspot is a new one.

What does it do?

OP
R

Rekreseb

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung note 5
Just corrected my obvious typo. though I did use my wifi Hotspot for my wife's tablet when we travel.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What error are you seeing?

OP
R

Rekreseb

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung note 5
I was using PDAnet for wifi Hotspot. and now all i get told is that I nougat has blocked it. I am on Verizon.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have to admit, that was a funny typo. I'm loving Nougat on my N5 although I do not use it as a hotspot/tethering. It's been so long since I had Verizon's upd plan but in order to use that plan as hotspot, didn't you have to either be rooted unless you paid the extra for it? Were you rooted before the update to Nougat? If so, that may be why using it as a hotspot no longer works?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rekreseb

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung note 5
Planet was the only app that made it work without rooting.p d a net not planet....dang autocorrect

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm betting that pda.net either does not support Nougat or it hasn't yet updated to support Nougat. Any program/app that bypasses the OS's design to make a function work has to find the loophole in each new OS to make it work again for that new OS. Check with pda.net's support to see what they have to say or if they have any solutions.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This copied from pda.net on play store...
"*Android 7.0 (Nougat) or later no longer allows WiFi mode even for Verizon phones. Please use USB mode or Bluetooth mode instead using our software."

cece5702

Reaction score
Did anyone do a factory reset after nougat update?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Did anyone do a factory reset after nougat update?

I did a factory reset before I did the nougat update. Always best to do with a major update. It has been working flawlessly; my time on battery has improved immensely (4-6 hours before update, 12 or more after update). I especially love that I don't have to go into settings to turn off overlays every time I want to change permissions on an app.

cece5702

Reaction score
I did a factory reset before I did the nougat update. Always best to do with a major update. It has been working flawlessly; my time on battery has improved immensely (4-6 hours before update, 12 or more after update). I especially love that I don't have to go into settings to turn off overlays every time I want to change permissions on an app.

I didn't do it before so should I do it now? I just hate having to reinstall & put things back like I had it. Ugh!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It makes a huge difference, cece5802. For instance, my improved battery life could be due to doing the factory reset and have little to do with nougat. It takes care of any conflicts that might be a result of old OS and new OS and will run much more smoothly.

Be sure to go through everything you want to make sure is backed up: pictures, documents, downloads, texts, call logs, app data for things like budget apps or mileage apps, etc. Take your time making sure you have everything saved.