Notifications... Why are they all the same?

4givenme

Reaction score
I have the Droid Bionic. I am a former Droid 1 user with Android 2.2 (unrooted). I am now running 2.3.4, and when I go to customize different notifications for different gmail accounts on my phone, they are all the same. Additionally, I am trying to make my voicemail notification different from my text message notification, from my... (you know what I am saying?) I have tried to figure it out, and it seems like it isn't possible... Somebody PLEASE tell me I am wrong, and any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

The Bionic is AWESOME!!!

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
You should be in your Email Account, then click on the menu button and go to Settings. That is where you customize the ringtones. Same thing for Text Messages. Open the Text Messages program and then click on the menu button and then go to Settings. let me know if that doesn't help and I can upload some screen shots, if I can figure out how to take them, lol

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok thank CJM for this, but heres how to change your gmail alert. Open Gmail: Settings/More/Settings click on your gmail account, scroll all the way to the bottom and make sure "Email Notifications" is checked, then click labels to notify, then inbox - there you will see the option to change the gmail ringtone.

OP

4givenme

Reaction score
Thanks!

THANKS. You were a great help!!!

willyk007

Reaction score
not to piggy back this thread, but I'm running SMS Pop-up, which is an app that allows for various notification setting changes for text messages (LED colors, vibration patterns, notification tones ect.), and although I DE-ACTIVATED my notifications in my stock Bionic text messaging application, some of the SMS notifications aren't what my custom settings are, rather they play the standard phone notification sounds. Help?

kmwrhayes

Reaction score
I have the same issue as original post .. but with a slightly different twist. I have 5 email accounts - all set up through the stock Android email app. I just upgraded from my Droid 1 to the Bionic. With Droid 1, I had a different notification tone with each email account ... so I could tell with each noise what account I had email coming into. It seems with Bionic (or Motoblur or Gingerbread) that that option has been removed (grrr!). On Droid 1, the notification tone was set in the account options (same screen as incoming/outgoing mail servers) but that's not an option on Bionic. When I click the menu button and set a notification tone, it sets that for ALL my email accounts. Am I missing something or did we just take a big step backwards? Funny thing is, on my Honeycomb Asus Transformer, that option is still there (individual notification sounds by email account). So, either I'm missing the option or Motorola did something funky... Searching for alternate email apps on Marketplace doesn't seem to pull up any good options either.. am I stuck with one notification for all my email accounts?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I have the same issue as original post .. but with a slightly different twist. I have 5 email accounts - all set up through the stock Android email app. I just upgraded from my Droid 1 to the Bionic. With Droid 1, I had a different notification tone with each email account ... so I could tell with each noise what account I had email coming into. It seems with Bionic (or Motoblur or Gingerbread) that that option has been removed (grrr!). On Droid 1, the notification tone was set in the account options (same screen as incoming/outgoing mail servers) but that's not an option on Bionic. When I click the menu button and set a notification tone, it sets that for ALL my email accounts. Am I missing something or did we just take a big step backwards? Funny thing is, on my Honeycomb Asus Transformer, that option is still there (individual notification sounds by email account). So, either I'm missing the option or Motorola did something funky... Searching for alternate email apps on Marketplace doesn't seem to pull up any good options either.. am I stuck with one notification for all my email accounts?

I don't have 5 email accounts but I would try the same way I explained with the gmail, open accounts, click the accounts, settings, find labels, then inbox. This is just a shot in the dark as I haven't tried it. They certainly don't make it easy to find.

kmwrhayes

Reaction score
Nope.. changing the notification changes it for all... the screen says "Email Settings" not "Account X" settings so doesn't seem to be a way to change this for one account at a time. How crazy is that?

shamus

Reaction score
Ok thank CJM for this, but heres how to change your gmail alert. Open Gmail: Settings/More/Settings click on your gmail account, scroll all the way to the bottom and make sure "Email Notifications" is checked, then click labels to notify, then inbox - there you will see the option to change the gmail ringtone.

I just stumbled onto this setting after finally being annoyed enough with gmails coming in. I had a mini stroke trying to find where they moved this setting to.

kmwrhayes

Reaction score
Still not fixing the issue. Here's a screenshot from Droid OG - (http://greyhayesmedia.com/droid.jpg) I can't find anything similar on Bionic where I can modify the notification by account. When you click 'compose options' you have to chose an account to set signature by account, but when you click 'notifications' you aren't given the option to select a ringtone by account - it just changes them all. This sucks!

The funniest thing is the "How To" video by Motorola ON MY BIONIC says click the 'menu' button, click 'more' and then 'settings' and shows screens I can't get to on the Bionic (which would allow me to change the notifications by account). The video and what's on my phone are totally different... GRRRR!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Nope.. changing the notification changes it for all... the screen says "Email Settings" not "Account X" settings so doesn't seem to be a way to change this for one account at a time. How crazy is that?

Just curious. If you open the gmail app, hit the menu button on the phone, then hit more, then settings, you don't see different accounts?

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

kmwrhayes

Reaction score
Just my gmail - not the other email accounts. I added one of my email accounts through the gmail interface and it doesn't show up under gmail... so, no.. just the gmail under gmail. The other accounts are under the 'my accounts' shortcut.

kmwrhayes

Reaction score
It gets better : Personal (POP / IMAP) Email Notifications - DROID BIONIC by Motorola is the Verizon walk through of setting up notifications on the Bionic. If you review these instructions and compare them to the video on the phone, they are totally different. Obviously Verizon has modified the Android software which has removed the feature (which is why it works right on my Droid OG and my Honeycomb Asus Transformer). Stupid move, Verizon. It may sound silly, but seriously considering returning my Bionic because of this. REALLY annoying to go backwards in features (and pay $300 to do so).