Notification Problem

JustWantBluetooth

Reaction score
I'm finding it pretty hard to mess with my notification sound settings. Basically the set-up I want, which I can't seem to create is this:

What I want in Silent Mode:
-No text, call, or email sounds
-No vibrations

What I want when not in Silent Mode:
-Text vibration, full-sound call ringtone, and silent email

I mess with the settings and I just can't seem to recreate this. These are my settings:

General system settings:
-Vibrate only when not in silent mode

Text settings (Handcent):
-Vibrate only when not in silent mode

This is all good; when I'm not in silent mode, my ringtone is loud, and my texts vibrate. When I'm in silent mode, there is no ringtone and my texts don't vibrate. That's all good.

When I'm in silent mode, the emails don't make a noise (good), but when I'm not in silent mode, my emails use the notification sounds I have, which I can't seem to disable. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to go into the email or Gmail app and change the notification sounds from there.

OP
J

JustWantBluetooth

Reaction score
I have the gmail app, and the settings button only gives me the option to change where the notification (visual) is, clear search history, or clear show pictures. There are no sound settings. When I go into the account settings for my specific email address, the only notification settings are again related to the status bar notification, and not anything to do with sound.

doogald

Reaction score
I have the gmail app, and the settings button only gives me the option to change where the notification (visual) is, clear search history, or clear show pictures. There are no sound settings. When I go into the account settings for my specific email address, the only notification settings are again related to the status bar notification, and not anything to do with sound.

In the Gmail app, menu->more->settings.

Tap on your account, under account settings
Go down to the bottom and tap "labels to notify"

Here is where you can set and vibration settings for each of the labels that you have set to sync. You can turn notifications on or off, set the Ringtone (including setting it to silent), set vibration, and set whether it notifies once for multiple messages until you clear the notification, or for every message.

Anyway, it appears that here is where you want to set the ringtone to silent.

OP
J

JustWantBluetooth

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks a lot. I knew there had to be an option. It's not very straightforward if you ask me. Anyways, really appreciate it