Notification Light (LED) Color

Spey

Reaction score
Hopefully somebody more historically vested in Motorola devices can chime in here (it's been since pre-Android that I owned a Moto-Device). Android use has been limited to Windows phone(s) dual booting to Android, plus work I've done to root/load Android on wife and daughters Nook-En-Droids.

Razr M was my jump-in point for committing to Android on a daily basis to handle all my MS-Outlook and MS-Office requirements on a phone.

So, I've been seeing different colored LED light colors emitting from the upper left-hand screen (left of the silver Motorola Badge on front side, and left of what I believe to be the light sensor). I've asked others to look at LED color (including Verizon reps) and they say it's just my eyes, the light is green either on/off. I see Green normally, but sometime looks Blue, even though others say it's green ...?

My guess so far is there are multiple different color notifications (maybe more based on device setup ...?):
LED On = New Notification
Green = Email, Calls, Txt's
Blue = Facebook & maybe various other "Social Network Msg's (Facebook, TwiDroid, Google+, LinkedIn, MySpace, etc.)
Red = Low Battery (thanks calbrs04 - forgot that one)
White = While charging, indicates not enough power to turn on.

I would appreciate and additions and/or corrections.

Thanks,

PS: as additional LED colors and/or notification indicators are posted, I will update this OP#1 (along with credit to appropriate member) as a way of consolidating the related info into one location for future viewers.

Last edited:

psanford

Reaction score
I've only ever seen green on my RAZR M. I'll keep you postef

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have app Light Flow installed. On my OG Droid and RAZR Maxx. I set my notification colors. Orange is email . Green is gtalk. Cyan in gmail. Blue is Twitter and Facebook. Red is missed calls, and purple is sms....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

calbrs04

Reaction score
Mine is still stock and I have blue for facebook, red for low battery, and green for anything else.

OP
Spey

Spey

Reaction score
Wow, 250+ views with no reply's - then BAM some great replies - THANKS guys/gals

sherri,
Thanks for your reply.
Does "app Light Flow" require root?

That's a lot of LED colors to keep track of ... is there user program-ability to choose less colors (user programmable consolidation), say maybe 2-3 colors?

OP
Spey

Spey

Reaction score
Mine is still stock and I have blue for facebook, red for low battery, and green for anything else.

Thanks calbrs04,
So we have three confirmed LED Colors (I had forgotten about the Red - battery-power-tuning on my device has been getting me dawn to dust without Red for last few days).

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
+1 for Light Flow & it does not require root...you can try out the "free" version to see if it will work for you - I have used this app on multiple devices for sometime...

NewT0Droid

Reaction score
Thanks calbrs04,
So we have three confirmed LED Colors (I had forgotten about the Red - battery-power-tuning on my device has been getting me dawn to dust without Red for last few days).

I also have white, yellow and purple on mine as well using K9 mail. K9 let's you choose the LED color. My guess is the XT907 might use an RGB LED so many colors are available.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
smalltowngirl13 said:
+1 for Light Flow & it does not require root...you can try out the "free" version to see if it will work for you - I have used this app on multiple devices for sometime...

Agree, but....seems that any color other than basic blue, green, red, white appear "odd" on my RAZR Max. For example, purple appears as one half light red and the other half blue. Yes I know red and blue make purple, but these colors are not well "mixed, blended". What I get is basically the appearance of 2 diodes side by side trying to appear as one color.
Also noted this on my DROID 2 global. Maybe FoxKat can chime in and explain how an led emits different colors and how light flow app is supposed to work in his usual "here's the scoop in such a way any 10 year old can understand" way.

OP
Spey

Spey

Reaction score
I have app Light Flow installed. On my OG Droid and RAZR Maxx. I set my notification colors. Orange is email . Green is gtalk. Cyan in gmail. Blue is Twitter and Facebook. Red is missed calls, and purple is sms....

Contents of this post specific to Light Flow app (not Motorola LED control:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlite&hl=en

I installed Light Flow Lite last night (thx sherri). Looks like a great app, for those who like in-depth amounts of control features ...

Answers to my previous posted questions:
Yes, LED Notification Color is user programmable (a LOT of options both color & notification type).
No, device does NOT need Root

Last night I was not able to get the app functional on my Razr M.
Allowed in Accessibility/Lite Flow Lite - On (toggled this on & off a few times)
Lite Flow Lite/Settings/Direct mode (initially off, toggled this on & off)
Lite Flow Lite/Tools/All enabled LEDs Test (suppposed to dummy test all colors enabled)
Results:
No LED colors flash in Test above.
Incoming Notifications DO NOT light the LED
I shut off the device a couple times and also toggled on/off a few of the settings in attempt jump-start the app to no avail.

This Morning (after reviewing all settings from last night - with no changes) Orange LED lit with an incoming email. Problem is that in Lite Flow Lite/Notifications for E-mail is/was set to Green (actually Lime), which was the default. So, looks like the app started working but LED color vs. user setting (or maybe factory default setting) appear to be wonky.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Update Results/Answers/Solutions:
I changed the Lime notification selection to Magenta and this worked. After playing around a little with the LED Notification Color Selections, it appears to me that the Lime Color does not work in this app. I am thinking that possibly this is is actually related to the hardware (possibly the Razr M Notification LED can not or does not differentiate what Lime is and is defaulting to Orange). I have opted to change default Lime Colors to Green and this appears to work.

If other Razr M users have experienced this issue and/or other LED Colors that do not display properly please post here. If this is an issue with using the Lite Version vs. Paid app, please post (I would assume that if this was a paid-app issue that the option to select colors that are "pay only" would be grayed out like a number of other features in the Lite version).

If there is sufficient info posted related to Light Flow (like various LED Colors and/or features that do not work on the Razr M), that would be helpful to other users, I will consolidate the info into the first post of this thread (with credit notation to the posting member), so that users looking for info on LED Notification option will be able to review options before spending too much time hunting around.

Update:
Running Light Flow Lite all day today
I only see one LED color (Green for emails)
Appears there is no "social networking" option for LED Notification.
Tools/Enable LEDs Test (still not working)
* Two references below relate to Factory Razr M LED Notifications
* It appears to me that the Factory Razr M LED Notifications provide more usability than Light Flow Lite in that
* Email, Social Networking, Txt Msg, Low Battery, etc. are functional as illustrated in OP#1 running Factory Settings.

Last edited:

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
For some reason, when you test settings of leds within lightflo, they do not show anything other than green. However, as you noted, the colors do work when messages/notifications received.

Led colors will only work to what phone is capable of. Lime hasn't worked on any of my Android RAZR phones (OG Droid/Droid 2/RAZR Maxx). I get yellow, orange, green, cyan, blue, red, magenta and white.

I use LightFlo Pro. I mainly wanted it because with my custom ROM, it allows led lights to be seen with screen ON. Needed for docking and full screen. (I have threads in a few forums explaining this, so please don't flame me here as well...)

Last edited:

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Contents of this post specific to Light Flow app (not Motorola LED control:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlite&hl=en

Update:

* Email, Social Networking, Txt Msg, Low Battery, etc. are functional as illustrated in OP#1 running Facoty Settings.

Not understanding this statement. I use both Twitter and Facebook. I have them both set to use blue led on light flow, and they work fine. Text messages I set to magenta, also working. Do not know if it is only in the "pay" version, but you can "add apps" to blink their colors (again, within the limitations of the led itself...). I added Words With Friends to notify me of moves in yellow, and it works....Text just came in as I am typing this, magenta light is alternating with orange light (unread email....)....

OP
Spey

Spey

Reaction score
Not understanding this statement. I use both Twitter and Facebook. I have them both set to use blue led on light flow, and they work fine. Text messages I set to magenta, also working. Do not know if it is only in the "pay" version, but you can "add apps" to blink their colors (again, within the limitations of the led itself...). I added Words With Friends to notify me of moves in yellow, and it works....Text just came in as I am typing this, magenta light is alternating with orange light (unread email....)....

sherri,
First let me thank you for reading entire post, and second for detailed replies!

RE: Statement update to help make a bit more clear (from my earlier post - edited)
* It appears to me that the Factory Razr M LED Notifications provide more usability than Light Flow Lite in that
* Email, Social Networking, Txt Msg, Low Battery, etc. are functional as illustrated in OP#1 running Factory Settings.

If I understand you correctly, you have the
Paid Version of this app &
- are you running on Razr M w/ OTA JB 4.1.1 (if not please confirm device info) ?
- on your device LED's performance = [Lime does not work] & [Working Include Yellow, Orange, Green, Cyan, Blue, Red, Magenta & White]
- Tools/All enabled LEDs Test does not fully function testing all colors (only Green - last night my Razr M did this for first time, and continues same Test Result today)

I had previously browsed over the "add apps" portion of the software, mistakenly assuming this was to "add apps" to the device (like developer advertising for their apps). Thank you for bringing this to my attention, that this is for adding apps to the Notification Menu within Light Flow. I made a bad 1st hand assumption developer was pushing apps, my bad.

It seems that I get sporadic LED notifications (do not follow the settings I've established) & LED sequences (but only right after power screen on).
Example-1: I send my self test msg's (email then txt) & one color LED will light, immediately after I press the Power Button, to turn device screen on, I get a quick one run on multiple LED colors, then back to only one LED Notification Color.
Example-2: I just got txt/SMS and Magenta LED starts flashing (as I have L.F.L. Enabled SMS - Select_duration/Do_not_automatically_switch_off & Method_to_clear_notification/App_entered & Flash_speed/Fast set ).

At this point it sounds as if I've got some wacko things going on. Hopefully I can get confirmation that others are using this app (on Razr M OTA JB), paid and/or Lite version successfully (possible bug: Tools/Enable LEDs Test - not working). I am going to try a remove/reinstall to see if this may clean up some of my performance related issues.

Appreciate any comments / constructive critisims

Last edited:
OP
Spey

Spey

Reaction score
RE: Light Flow

Anybody know how running this program effects battery life?
Been running Light Flow Lite for about 2-days now testing various settings, etc. and I seem to have had a noticeable increase in battery consumption. Wondering if coincidental or related?

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
sherri,
First let me thank you for reading entire post, and second for detailed replies!

RE: Statement update to help make a bit more clear (from my earlier post - edited)

If I understand you correctly, you have the
Paid Version of this app &
- are you running on Razr M w/ OTA JB 4.1.1 (if not please confirm device info) ?
- on your device LED's performance = [Lime does not work] & [Working Include Yellow, Orange, Green, Cyan, Blue, Red, Magenta & White]
- Tools/All enabled LEDs Test does not fully function testing all colors (only Green - last night my Razr M did this for first time, and continues same Test Result today)

I had previously browsed over the "add apps" portion of the software, mistakenly assuming this was to "add apps" to the device (like developer advertising for their apps). Thank you for bringing this to my attention, that this is for adding apps to the Notification Menu within Light Flow. I made a bad 1st hand assumption developer was pushing apps, my bad.

It seems that I get sporadic LED notifications (do not follow the settings I've established) & LED sequences (but only right after power screen on).
Example-1: I send my self test msg's (email then txt) & one color LED will light, immediately after I press the Power Button, to turn device screen on, I get a quick one run on multiple LED colors, then back to only one LED Notification Color.
Example-2: I just got txt/SMS and Magenta LED starts flashing (as I have L.F.L. Enabled SMS - Select_duration/Do_not_automatically_switch_off & Method_to_clear_notification/App_entered & Flash_speed/Fast set ).

At this point it sounds as if I've got some wacko things going on. Hopefully I can get confirmation that others are using this app (on Razr M OTA JB), paid and/or Lite version successfully (possible bug: Tools/Enable LEDs Test - not working). I am going to try a remove/reinstall to see if this may clean up some of my performance related issues.

Appreciate any comments / constructive critisims
OK. Hope some of this helps. I have run Light Flow (paid) on both my OG Droid And my current phone, which is a Droid RAZR Maxx.

The RAZR Maxx is rooted, and running a custom ROM. Full Throttle Killer Bean JB 4.1.2......

I use a custom ROM because it is the only way I can have led blink with screen ON. This being said....the "test" settings in light flow do not work correctly. My phone gets green/yellow/orange/red/blue/cyan/magenta and white. When I use the light flow app to test, only green shows. Remember, blinking with screen on is a function of ROM (only reason I rooted...)If ROM doesn't allow it, screen must be off to see colors.

So....in the light flow app, I set up the apps and their colors. Called myself from home phone. Screen started blinking (while I was browsing internet) red, telling me of missed calls. Used daughters phone to send SMS. Now alternated red and magenta. Logged in to PC. Sent an email to my optonline account. Added orange led. Sent to gmail, added green. Lights work as I intended. Gmail can be "off" due to customization within the gmail app.

The "tools/test settings" you see arent bugs....Just don't work! If your phone is stock, you may only see led lights with screen off. (Idiotic move on Googles part...) Send yourself an email, turn screen off, and see what happens....

Developer is very helpful, so you can ask for his advice.

RE: Light Flow

Anybody know how running this program effects battery life?
Been running Light Flow Lite for about 2-days now testing various settings, etc. and I seem to have had a noticeable increase in battery consumption. Wondering if coincidental or related?
Using lightflow since June. Battery is not effected at all.