Note II Mystery Screen

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Hey, can anyone explain this:

I've had my Note II for about 2 months. Recently I brushed against the screen while it was off (phone powered on, but screen locked and off), and this image appeared:

View attachment 60644

Just for a second, a plain screen appeared, with the time and date, and 3 symbols that appear to indicate the number of missed calls, number of unread messages, and battery life. It literally shows up for only a second, which is why a good picture of it was hard to get. Also, that bright glow is not the flash of the other camera, it's on the Note II's screen when the other items appear. Then the screen goes dark again.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what it is? Just some leftover Touchwiz code, maybe?

Since I originally activated it accidentally the first time, it took dozens of tries before I could recreate it, and even then it's not entirely consistent, but here's what I do to have it appear:
  • I place the side of my thumb (not the tip) on the screen about halfway up from the bottom
  • I slide my thumb up the screen to around the 3/4 mark, to above the volume button

Drew_P

Reaction score
Forgive me, but its waaaay to early in the morning for my brain to be working.....with that being said, that screen is one of the features of the phone. I can't remember the name of it in my current brain state though lol basically it let's you check on notifications and battery without unlocking your phone. The way I've seen it activate consistently is to place your hand over the top of the phone where the front facing camera and proximity sensor are and that screen will pop up. I believe it may be called quick glance or something like that. I'm sure someone else will comment and give you the proper name for the feature lol

sent from my Rezound powered bolt of thunder!!!

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Ha! You're absolutely right, Drew_P!

It is a feature called "Quick Glance"... I looked it up online. I don't remember seeing it in the manual, but yes, it's a quick notification that appears when you wave your hand near the proximity sensor. Apparently the Note II has to be on a flat surface for this feature to work. Nice!

Thanks!

Drew_P

Reaction score
No problem, just glad to help when I can. Although I am jealous that you own that beast since I'm still raising money to get one of my own lol

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Well, I got it for Christmas... so my 5-month old Galaxy S3 went to my nephew for his Christmas gift, and HIS old feature phone went to my mother-in-law. So we upgraded three phones for the price of one.

Having said that... it's a sweet, sweet phone. Whether it's handling games, videos, emails, photos, or phone calls, it's flawless and beautiful.

musicmelanie3

Reaction score
Ha! You're absolutely right, Drew_P!

It is a feature called "Quick Glance"... I looked it up online. I don't remember seeing it in the manual, but yes, it's a quick notification that appears when you wave your hand near the proximity sensor. Apparently the Note II has to be on a flat surface for this feature to work. Nice!

Thanks!

"Quick Glance" is also mentioned in some of the reviews posted on YouTube.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Droid Forums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
No problem, just glad to help when I can. Although I am jealous that you own that beast since I'm still raising money to get one of my own lol

It will be well worth your time and trouble! :happy3:

MTBryan

Reaction score
Hmm I try it and it dont work for me

I find it isn't all that great anyway. The screen goes away before I can figure out what I'm seeing and read it all.
Plus it takes me a few tries each time to get it to work.
So, I've disabled it.

Mookie

Reaction score
It's another one of the GN2's almost useful features. Doesn't work fast enough, or all the time, and it really needs to work on a non level surface like a car mount. I have yet to get the hand motion screen capture to work.