Note 4 WiFi not backwards compatible with old tech?

Beardface

Reaction score
Been noticing some odd behavior with my Note 4 since I got it on Saturday (I love it by the way). I cannot get it to get a stable connection with in-home WiFi, and when it does connect, data-heavy apps like the Play Store, Facebook, and Google Drive are rendered worthless and I stop receiving emails. Turn off WiFi, and everything is back to normal, running quick. Turn it on and the issues immediately start.

Took the phone back to Best Buy thinking I had a bad WiFi antenna in the phone, and it immediately connected to their system and acted normal. OK, so its not the phone. Brought it back to the house, and, just for kicks to see if it was the router itself causing issues, flipped it out with a 3 year old Netgear router I had. This time, the Note wouldn't even connect. (mind you, my wife's Galaxy S5, my old Razr Maxx HD, my Nexus 7, and my work laptop are all functioning just fine with the router I have this entire time). So now I know it wasn't an issue with the routers I have.

The guys in Best Buy told me that the new devices are using new WiFi technology and its very likely my Note 4 isn't compatible with the routers I have. Told me to perform an internal reset of the Router settings, and that didn't help at all. Any suggestions? I recently bought a Belkin AC1200 router, which Best Buy is still selling, which claims to be next generation wifi. Something just isn't adding up here.

soulpatch

Reaction score
I had issues when I set my runtime system to ART. I had a few aps that struggled as well so I converted to the older Dalvik and all was fine again. Not sure if you converted but it might be something to look into.

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score
I had issues when I set my runtime system to ART. I had a few aps that struggled as well so I converted to the older Dalvik and all was fine again. Not sure if you converted but it might be something to look into.
I'm running it completely out of the box stock. Haven't done a thing to it, and I'm still trying to figure out the Note controls. So you might have to pardon me if I'm not really following what you're saying.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Unless you have entered the developer option area of the phone what I started is not an issue for you.

Hopefully you figure out out though

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score
Unless you have entered the developer option area of the phone what I started is not an issue for you.

Hopefully you figure out out though
Yeah, haven't really had the time to play around with anything, yet.

I'm guessing I bought a $99 dud of a router. Oh well.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Or you just need to factory reset your phone. It is the first thing I do when I get a new device.

Have you also tried to forget the network and re-enter it?

Sometimes toggling it on and off is all that it takes.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Open Settings on your phone >WIFI Menu > Advanced > and see if the Auto Network Switch is unchecked. If not, then un-check it. Some people have found a solution by doing this.

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score
Or you just need to factory reset your phone. It is the first thing I do when I get a new device.

Have you also tried to forget the network and re-enter it?

Sometimes toggling it on and off is all that it takes.

Trying a factory reset now, but it doesn't really appear to be working. Here's the thing... over Wifi, I can get a signal no problem, and it'll connect. I can even browse the internet through Chrome, no issues at all. I can even access and update files on the Play store. But if I expect any images to be loaded for previews within the Play Store, well that just can't happen. And if I expect to see any updates in Facebook, well, that won't happen, either. And in the rare occurrence a new post does show up, it certainly won't show an image. And for Google Drive? Hey, I can view whatever I want, but the second I try to download an image to the device - well, it just hangs at the "Preparing Image for Downloading" popup. Also, incoming emails to my Gmail account stop getting pushed to the notifications. I can manually check, and they'll show, but they won't push.

The second I turn off WiFi, this all goes away. And this is only on my home WiFi (that I've seen)... As I said, everything was fine in Best Buy. I am also not seeing any of these issues with any of my other devices.

Open Settings on your phone >WIFI Menu > Advanced > and see if the Auto Network Switch is unchecked. If not, then un-check it. Some people have found a solution by doing this.

Tried that, still no help.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Try Some of these Methods: I hope it works for you.
  • If you are having a WiFi stability problem, then disabling WiFi Direct Share and WiFi Direct apps can solve the problem. To disable them, go to Settings, then Application Manager on the All tab.
  • Turn off your router and your Galaxy note 4 for few minutes, and then turn them on again.
  • Open Settings on Galaxy note 4, navigate to WiFi, and then long press on the connection. Tell your device to forget the connection and set the connection again from scratch.
  • Crowded channels could be the reason for a WiFi connection problem on Samsung Galaxy Note 4. To check and see if this is the cause of your problem, install the free app WiFi Analyzer and see if crowded channels is the problem. If so, then change the router channel.
  • Make sure that the firmware of your router is up-to-date, and also check settings like MAC filtering.
  • Disable all devices that are connected to the modem, then enable your Galaxy Note 4 first. Most of the time there are connection authentication issues with devices that are connected on the same network, such as IP conflict.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My netgear router signs like it's about as old as yours & I've had no issues connecting to my home wifi, except for the fact that I forgot that I turned MAC filtering on & couldn't connect for the longest time until I put the MAC address on the white list.

Sent from my Note 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Belkin and Android just don't seem to like each other for some reason. The only time I have any problems with WiFi, no matter where be it home, church, etc, it's always a Belkin router being used.
What I have found to work around this "theory" of mine posted above is reboot my router every few days at home and it doesn't act up . I can't reboot the router at other places but it works at home. I ended up going back to a Linksys router I had sitting in the extra electronics pile and no more problems with Android in my home.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Belkin and Android just don't seem to like each other for some reason. The only time I have any problems with WiFi, no matter where be it home, church, etc, it's always a Belkin router being used.
What I have found to work around this "theory" of mine posted above is reboot my router every few days at home and it doesn't act up . I can't reboot the router at other places but it works at home. I ended up going back to a Linksys router I had sitting in the extra electronics pile and no more problems with Android in my home.

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of belkin. I also had 2 linksys routers in a row that kept having to be completely reset. Switched to netgear & never had an issue since.

Sent from my Note 4

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
I just found this in a search. A guy tried this to fix the problem with his note3 a while back. Maybe it might help if the others do not work .
Try changing the Encryption Algorithm of your security settings to “TKIP or AES” can fix the WiFi connection issue. Log in by entering this in your URL:

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
In your Wi-Fi advanced strings, turn off auto network switch, problem solved?? ;)

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score

I'm thinking this just might be the case. Also been noticing connection issues with the family laptop we got earlier this year, and my wife's Galaxy S5 is showing a bit of the same issues (images not loading in facebook, unable to download images from Drive, and Gmails simply not being pushed as received until you manually check). I think I am going to head back and just get a new Netgear router and see if it makes a difference. I haven't really been impressed with this Belkin one since I got it.

In your Wi-Fi advanced strings, turn off auto network switch, problem solved?? ;)

Tried that. Does it keep a stable WiFI signal? Yes. Does it alleviate any of the issues stated above? Nope.