Note 4 Battery Monitor

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Well, this is new.

I've been having battery life problems more and more with the Note 4.
Having a couple major upgrades, like to MM, I'm sure played a role.

So I did a factory reset, which helped my battery life quite a bit for the first day.
Granted, I didn't install all my software, fitbit and pebble in particular, and, as a test, I had the bluetooth radio turned off in order to get a baseline.

2 problems
Twice, so far, when the battery got down to about 30% the phone shut off and went into a boot loop. Plugging it in to A/C rebooted it and it was fine, though I let it charge completely so I don't know if it would have gone back into the loop if unplugged immediately.
The weirdest problem, I just noticed that the battery monitor in the settings is saying that the phone has been on battery for an hour and a half, but it's actually been 2 and a half hours.
I've never seen that monitor be wrong, though, admittedly, I check Battery Monitor Widget much more often on the topic.

Any thoughts anyone?
Dead or dying battery perhaps?

Thanks, in advance.

B

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have had horrible battery life since the L update... Even new batteries haven't helped.. I can barely get 12 hours with little use... Maybe 2 hours screen on with 3 or 4 hours of streaming on WiFi.... I thought for a long time it was worst with Wifi on but now it's just bad.... Friday morning it dropped 6% in 4 minutes after a full nights charge. In those 6 minutes I did nothing with it but put it in my pocket, get a cup of coffee, and walk out to the deck and sit down. I took a screen shot but am to lazy to go grab the phone and upload it LOL..

So to answer the question I feel it is more in the device not the battery. I know of another guy having the same issues.. VZW sent him a new device and it was night and day.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
I can barely get 12 hours with little use...
On virtually every android phone I've had, back as far as Droid 1, I get 7 hours on average with the stock battery.
I'm probably a power user in a way.
I have Bluetooth on with fitbit and pebble.
I stream podcasts.
I use it for my todo list, which I refer to regularly, in addition to the calendar, Internet, texting, diary, vehicle maintenance, and so on.

The note 4 is just worse since marshmallow, hence my question.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm not sure when the latest update for the Note 4 came along, but maybe it's not as optimized as it should be and hopefully there's a small update on the way.

Another thing to be mindful of is the battery going bad itself, especially if it's shutting off at 30%. Considering the age of the device, my guess is the battery may be shot as well. Have you tried another battery?

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
I'm not sure when the latest update for the Note 4 came along, but maybe it's not as optimized as it should be and hopefully there's a small update on the way.

Another thing to be mindful of is the battery going bad itself, especially if it's shutting off at 30%. Considering the age of the device, my guess is the battery may be shot as well. Have you tried another battery?
Yeah.
I put in a backup battery that was charged all the way on an external charger.
I've used it quite a bit in the 3.5 hours it's been off the charger (though no streaming, videos, music, etc) and it's at 55%.
Bluetooth off the whole time and screen at 50%.
I suppose that's normal if 7 hours is as good as the stock battery should do.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hmmm
I did just notice that the OS is 6.0.1.
I think it was up to 6.1.1 before the wipe.
I've checked for updates but it says it's up to date.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm
I did just notice that the OS is 6.0.1.
I think it was up to 6.1.1 before the wipe.
I've checked for updates but it says it's up to date.

6.0.1 sounds right

It shouldn't revert to a previous version after a FDR.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
6.0.1 sounds right

It shouldn't revert to a previous version after a FDR.
I just wonder if I'll be able to get the 6.1.1 update since it was already pushed out to me.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The most recent nte 4 update across all carriers is 6.0.1

Sent from my Note 4

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
My battery today was horendous 6 hours from full charge to dead. Same usage as any other day. Wondering if it didn't fry my battery.... 2 or 3 times I felt the phone very hot in my pocket. Pulled it out and it seemed warm. Just put in a different battery will see how that fairs.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get an app called Watch Dog Lite and set the CPU alert to above 50% . You'll see there's all kinds of leaks in Android, services going rogue, etc.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Get an app called Watch Dog Lite and set the CPU alert to above 50% . You'll see there's all kinds of leaks in Android, services going rogue, etc.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Will it correct them or is it just something to show me what it is?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
This has just started the last couple of days. No new apps or updates.

uploadfromtaptalk1468283592759.png
uploadfromtaptalk1468283598237.png

Screen on auto BT off location off WiFi off. Nothing new at all. Doing it with different batteries. Going to FDR tomorrow if that doesn't help I'll have VZW replace it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will it correct them or is it just something to show me what it is?

It'll show you what it is . Like I said, it's a bunch of Android services doing wonky stuff in the background. On 5.0.1 mine had lesser battery life than I liked and it seemed to be just EVERYTHING used more battery but since 5.1.1 it's been just stupid. My battery meter seems to go by a clock instead of how long it's been unplugged. What I mean is if I unplug at 6am it shows I've been unplugged since sometime the night before . Sometimes if I reboot my phone it drops as much as 30% when I power it back up. This all started on 5.1 for me. I'm on AT&T so I don't think it's a carrier bug like Verizon created with my Inc1 and Rezound.
Here's just 4 pages of the 77 different Linux Processes that have gone rogue in the last week since I cleared the alerts last
d03d5f39df4658bd382f0c7e4117576e.jpg

dae505a70d85bc4b79b7be2f437c9d51.jpg

cc4fa5e2cbc0f200f56128525ea6424f.jpg

0b105d2334a13c42992203ce26c819f0.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Last edited: