Note 3, 4.3 to 5.0

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
Will there be any problem, when the time comes, to update from JB 4.3 to Lollipop? This would be skipping the update to KitKat, of course. My first thought is no but then Google was a Tard for breaking microSD card functionality in the first place so I wouldn't be shocked if there is something that would snag the update.

Thanks.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Are you rooted? If not you should be on kitkat. The Note 3 was updated to that a while ago. But either way there won't be any issue with updating.

OP
eebvending

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
No, not rooted. Each day when I turn my phone on I tap Install Later to deny KitKat. I did see that Lollipop brings back card functionality with a new permission which I was very pleased to hear about.
So it's recommended to reset after installing an update? I've read on this forum in the past most members here do that when upgrading. The only time I've previously had a phone that received a newer version of Android was when the OG Droid went from Froyo to Gingerbread. For that I just upgraded and didn't do any reset.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You can turn the upgrade nag off if it hasn't already downloaded the OTA in the background. It is under Settings, General, About, Software Update.

I end up backing everything up onto the PC/MAC using Kies, transfer all of my music, photos, videos, and documents to my microSD (I don't trust PC backups to go through flawlessly), and then accepting the update through Kies itself.

Some people accept the OTA on the phone and then factory data reset either through Kies or by booting into recovery mode on the phone.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No, not rooted. Each day when I turn my phone on I tap Install Later to deny KitKat. I did see that Lollipop brings back card functionality with a new permission which I was very pleased to hear about.
So it's recommended to reset after installing an update? I've read on this forum in the past most members here do that when upgrading. The only time I've previously had a phone that received a newer version of Android was when the OG Droid went from Froyo to Gingerbread. For that I just upgraded and didn't do any reset.
It's not necessary to do a reset after every update, but when a new one comes out and there are issues (Most recently with the S4), a factory reset often fixes the problem. Gives you a clean slate with the new software, so some users go ahead and do the reset to avoid problems and having to do it anyway.

With that said, if you don't take the KitKat update before taking the Lollipop update, I would assume there won't be an issue updating, but I would imagine that a reset will be in order just because it's such a jump in code. That latest update for the s4 wasn't a large jump by any stretch of the imagination, but it still caused some issues, so the chances of you not needing to do a reset after a jump like you're talking about are pretty slim.

OP
eebvending

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
Thanks everyone for your replies