Question regarding Rooted Note3 with OTA's...... Yes I know it breaks them, but... :)

enduser2941

Reaction score
Hey my favorite Droid peeps!!

So, here is my silly question. As you all know by now, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Provider is AT&T.... I know that when you root a device it tends to break the OTA updates. AT&T just released KitKat for my Note 3 and in fact, my device does fail to install it because I am rooted. However, my question is, is there anyway to force the OTA update to install? Is there something I can do to suppress the root so that the install will actually take? Or, is there any way I can get the KitKat ROM that I can just install that wouldn't care if I am rooted? I don't know anything about installing ROM's and it does scare me to even try.:blink: Heck, I was terrified when I rooted the Note 3 to begin with because I was so afraid I would brick it.:mad: You guys know that I am well aware that this is a Verizon forum and I have an AT&T device, but you guys are just so awesomely helpful all the time that I can't help but to ask here first. Not to mention I trust you guys for more than the other forums. I am very interested to hear your thoughts!

Thanks all!:biggrin:

EU

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
You will need to return to 100% stock to get the OTA update. Your other choice is to locate a KK ROM for your device and flash it.

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Well, I kinda did get my solution, however, I do not know how to do either one :( Jeffery is always very helpful!!! :)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Well, I kinda did get my solution, however, I do not know how to do either one :( Jeffery is always very helpful!!! :)

These Developers are pretty smart peeps and I am confident they will find a solution. We all want the latest and greatest. We will just have to give them some time to figure this one out.

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Jeffrey,

Do they (Developers) usually come up with a way for the Rooted devices to get the newest released Droid Version? Of were you implying that someday, hopefully, Dev's will come up with a way for Rooted devices to receive OTA's?

Thanks again! I really appreciate how helpful you have been with all my questions. You seem to always find my posts and I know when you reply, I am going to get the help I was looking for. Like I have said in the past, even though this is a Verizon Droid forum and I have an AT&T Droid, I will always come here first because since my very first post, you guys in the forum have been so helpful and almost professional like! lol What I meant by that is I have never had anyone flame out on my here or treat me like I'm some kind of idiot like many people do in other Droid forums (which I won't name) I have accounts at. I have never had a question posted that wasn't replied to or had far from helpful replies. I love coming here for that reason!!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I didn't mean to give you the impression that the Developers will come up with a method to get OTA updates. OTA updates are designed to break root. What I meant was, the Devs will come up with ways to root the most popular devices. You may want to take a peek at this site.

https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/ZtXAhw164QD

Chainfire is the King of root and explains the issues he is facing. Don't worry about the tech talk [I don't understand most of it either], but it will give you a good idea what is going on.

We at Droidforums are not here to insult or scare away any member. Out success is based on members like you who return each day to learn or just hangout. I do appreciate your kind words.

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Out of curiosity.... If I use SuperSU's Full Unroot which says "Cleanup for permanent Unroot". Would this then restore me so that I can get the OTA Kit Kat from AT&T? Keep in mind that I never put a new/different or any other kind of ROM on here. I just rooted the device for root access and never had any intention of installing any custom ROM, so in my mind, the device still has the stock ROM, just with root access... I mean I am sure your going to say no, that won't work because Rooting the device did chance the stock ROM in a way that the checksum will never match, but hey, I had to ask. Of course, my assumption could be completely off....

Thanks! :)

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Out of curiosity.... If I use SuperSU's Full Unroot which says "Cleanup for permanent Unroot". Would this then restore me so that I can get the OTA Kit Kat from AT&T? Keep in mind that I never put a new/different or any other kind of ROM on here. I just rooted the device for root access and never had any intention of installing any custom ROM, so in my mind, the device still has the stock ROM, just with root access... I mean I am sure your going to say no, that won't work because Rooting the device did chance the stock ROM in a way that the checksum will never match, but hey, I had to ask. Of course, my assumption could be completely off....

Thanks! :)

You should be able to take Ota without having to unroot.. Are you getting system update notification? Now the question is do you still want root and if so is the OTA root able?

Knock knock G2

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Here is what happens to me.. I can receive the Kit Kat OTA, however, once it's downloaded, it attempts to install. It goes through the process and then it tells the device to reboot. When the device reboots, it boots into download mode and then attempts to install the OTA. This is where I get an error stating that the installation has failed, and it backs out of the install and returns the device back to the way it was. and again this is from AT&T. I highly doubt that the Kit Kat OTA from AT&T is rootable as AT&T locks the bootloader or boot partition which ever it is. Do I want root? yes would be nice. Do I need root? Absolutely not. I only use it for being able to play around with my network at the packet level and I like root so I can kill and or remove some of the AT&T Bloatware I just have no use for. So, I could do with out root, there definitely is no reason I have to have it.