Not impressed with 4g

jeremycnly

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Maybe I'm alone but I am not impressed with the current 4g technology. I've tried several other carrier phones and 4g doesn't seem that impressive compared to my current 3g speed, especially to be paying extra for. I've yet to try Verizon 4g lte tech but if its even comparable to what other carriers offer I wont be upgrading till the the techology is actually worth while.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

aDroidman

Reaction score
If you are referring to the sprint 4G then yes I agree. I have compared the evo 4g right next to my moto droid 1 and the evo was about 2-4 seconds faster at loading web pages. I have not tried Verizons 4G.

OP
J

jeremycnly

Reaction score
Same with me but I put the evo next to my droid 1 and my droid was faster with only 3 bars. Even tho my droid is flashed to cricket and the speed is pending on the area I expected way faster speeds than that.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No one has tried LTE...its not going to be available prior to December 5th...for USB modems. WiMax isn't very impressive though, it was just first. WiMax TOP speed will be the LOW speed for LTE! It will be worth the wait! :)

DroidForums junkie!

StephenWVU

Reaction score
I just want to know if they are going to manage to get it in Morgantown WV within the next 6 months. If not, I am going to switch to US Cellular or Sprint. =(

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
US Cellular isn't 4G either...its barely 3G. There's a map floating around here of the 38 cities it'll be in by year's end (football cities). By 2013, all current VZ 3G areas will be 4G...haven't ever seen a carrier expand their network that fast!

I just want to know if they are going to manage to get it in Morgantown WV within the next 6 months. If not, I am going to switch to US Cellular or Sprint. =(

DroidForums junkie!

lingcod777

Reaction score
Many of the peak speed gains will be transparent for typical use vs. 3G, especially with what you do on a phone. 4G (ignoring the ITU defined 4G that is years out), or at least LTE, handles network capacity better so everyone on the network enjoys better average performance. If you're expecting a life changing experience in web browsing, you'll likely be disappointed unless you're downloading massive files.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're expecting a life changing experience in web browsing, you'll likely be disappointed unless you're downloading massive files.

But one of the things LTG is touting is the ability to take a call and browsing at the same time (like the iPhone). Fortunately I'm in one of those football cities so I'll have to see what Android phones they'll have for that.

lingcod777

Reaction score
If you're expecting a life changing experience in web browsing, you'll likely be disappointed unless you're downloading massive files.

But one of the things LTG is touting is the ability to take a call and browsing at the same time (like the iPhone). Fortunately I'm in one of those football cities so I'll have to see what Android phones they'll have for that.

Fair enough, that's a desirable feature.