No Sound from External Speaker

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
What worries me is that if they are all delicate and one wrong move and they lose contact or blow because of overdriven signal, it would suck to have that keep happening. I just reread your post it makes sence. I guess what im thinking is how easily do they become intermittent?

Last edited:

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
Anyhow thanks droids for your prompt replies , i now don't feel as crazy as they made me feel in the store yesterday trying to talk to the reps about this issue, at least i know i was not the only one who noticed this speaker issue, it would b cool if moto would team up with a respectable speaker manufacturer like JBL or Bang and Olfsen to get their sounds correct even if it is on a microscopic level no matter how trivial they deem that issue to be for some it is a small feature but a feature you should not ignore nevertheless

vcstar5

Reaction score
Called Verizon with same problem. Was transferred to teir 2 technical support. The rep was very nice although he has never heard of this complaint or problem! I directed him to the droid forum so he could read that it is a real proplem. If all of us are calling Verizon and complaining about this problem, why do they claim that no one has complained about this issue? If we are all returning our phones for replacements for this issue you would think that they would have record of it.

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
Called Verizon with same problem. Was transferred to teir 2 technical support. The rep was very nice although he has never heard of this complaint or problem! I directed him to the droid forum so he could read that it is a real proplem. If all of us are calling Verizon and complaining about this problem, why do they claim that no one has complained about this issue? If we are all returning our phones for replacements for this issue you would think that they would have record of it.

I don't know how or when they decide to make something a"known issue" but it sure was infuriating to have all three of them say "i don't. Hear anything " including the manager. I just wanted them to say yes i hear it crackle and pop and they wouldn't say it , like i was a jerk for bringing it up. Then i found this thread and a few others on the net.

vcstar5

Reaction score
Received my "new" refurbed maxx yesterday. Only have five days to check it out and return my old one! I should know better than to purchase a new tech device right when it comes out.

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
Received my "new" refurbed maxx yesterday. Only have five days to check it out and return my old one! I should know better than to purchase a new tech device right when it comes out.

Dude! That sucks- it makes you wonder about these things - im thinking about a rezound but the Maxx has a lot of positive advantages for my power usage and big hands - i guess we cant have our cake and eat it too yet - faulty speakers -

qexter

Reaction score
Same issue here with my Razr MAXX. Speaker just stops working. If I touch or press the speaker area right around the speaker opening it will come back, some times for a few minutes, sometimes just until I stop pressing. Called Verizon, went through troubleshooting (after saying 10 times "no not pressing the speaker icon, pressing the *speaker*), they are sending me a new (refurb?) phone.

Their policy is a little scary though. If they find any hardware damage (e.g. dropped) or evidence of water damage, they can charge $300. Maybe just a scare tactic? Has anyone been charged this replacement fee?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This has been reported on other razr's and the problem was due to a piece of lint or dust in the speaker jack. Sounds like it may also be the problem with your speaker. The fix is to very delicately remove the interfering lint or dust. People, including SallyC, have posted successful ways of doing that. It may be with trying to fix, especially if you have had good luck with your razr... because they are going to send you a used refurbished (CLNR) phone that may have someone else's problems. Worth a thought!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

qexter

Reaction score

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
qexter said:
Nope, this is a different issue, very well explained earlier in this thread by FoxKAT:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/200433-no-sound-external-speaker-4.html

There are 2 options to fix it, either take your phone apart and come up with a way to keep pressure on the speaker, or return it to Verizon and get a replacement.

Oops, I forgot about that problem. I wasn't paying attention to what I was reading and was thinking the headset problem not the speaker problem. And FoxKat knows what he's talking about so very happy you got accurate helpful advice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

mooch91

Reaction score
Add me to the list of an external speaker failure.

I've got to say, finding this thread is making me really upset about my Maxx purchase too...

I'm on my second phone now, the first one had the external speaker (ringer and speakerphone) stop working right at the three-week point. Pushing on the case around the speaker would get it to come back temporarily. Verizon exchanged me for a new one (not refurb because I complained), but seeing this thread leads me to believe that this has the potential to be more problematic than just a couple of chance failures.

I really need this phone to last me a couple of years...

Last edited:

MrGibbins

Reaction score
Well after switching my first Maxx out for this problem I haven't had it since. Just luck of the draw I guess. Bottom line, its a pretty big design flaw.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dblplay

Reaction score
My speaker went out today as well. Rubbed my finger over speaker and it began working again. Bought my Maxx at end of March.

Last edited:

Crimson_Sky

Reaction score
Same Problem...Yeesh

Looks like this is quite a trend with the Maxx. I purchased mine new in an upgrade about 3 months ago, just started having the speaker problems. Found this forum and used the "press and rub" method...sounds dirty but has been working for 20 mins so far. Shoddy design is what we are up against.

-Crim

mooch91

Reaction score
Keep returning them under warranty. That's the only way moto and verizon will know.

Maybe the refurbs get some more solid connections.