No Sound from External Speaker

tz34mb

Reaction score
Hello

I get no sound from my external speaker (aside from an occasional quick note or two) on my Razr Maxx. With my headsphones plugged in, I can hear everything from my music to notifications.

I first noticed this yesterday when my alarm did not go off. I tried to play music, call the phone, text the phone and nothing. This morning I decided to do random test and called my phone and ringtone sounded for a quick second then quit. This leads me to believe that all my settings are correct, as it tried to play briefly.

I have tried other ringtones, it is not in silent mode, the volume is turned up, i have not downloaded any new apps prior to this happening...

Also, I have tried to turn off then on and even the hold volume down and while holding the power button for the hard reboot...still no change.

I am a new Droid user and not sure if this a problem that has been encountered before or not...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

monkey_man

Reaction score
Better bring it to the store and hopefully you are still under 14 days!

OP
T

tz34mb

Reaction score
started working...

Has been sitting on my desk at work all day...no settings changed...and all of a sudden the notifications sounds started working as they should as I received calls, text and emails...????!!!

I am outside 14 days, but was going to take it in anyways, but will not bother now, as it appears there is nothing to troubleshoot...unless the issues happens again.

I am reluctant to use this as my alarm for tomorrow though....

Oh well, this has been my only issue with this great phone.

monkey_man

Reaction score
Good To hear that! Yeah I wouldn't trust that phone as your main Alarm Clock for now :D . I would tho use it at least 3 days tryout as a back up alarm... Third times a charm :p

OP
T

tz34mb

Reaction score
Conflict with JuiceDefender????

So I got home, and it stopped working again. I realized the only thing that changed was that JuiceDefender turned on access to my WiFi (like it is supposed to do). I turned that setting off in JuiceDefender and it works...Very odd considering this is an app that I have had installed since day 1, and did not have an issue until Sunday...

Anyways, if anyone else has this issue, try disabling the WiFi setting in JD!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Once I had set the alarm tone to silent and that didn't help for an alarm. First time I've over slept in perhaps a dozen years.
Now I have a real waker upper, red alert from star trek, first time I rolled out of bed "rigged for red" and then had to laugh.

PS why you would have a alarm tone called "silent"? Yes I want an alarm but I don't want it to make a sound. blink, blink.

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check smart actions also for any volume changers...

----posted maxx'ed out----

bclipscomb

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing

I do not have juice defender installed. I contacted Verizon and they had me start it in safe mode and it made no difference. Mine started working a few hours later. Verizon is sending me a new phone, will have it tomorrow.

OP
T

tz34mb

Reaction score
Working fine now...

I was able to duplicate the problem by enabling that setting in JuiceDefender again, so i am quite sure that was the problem.

Plus, I gambled and only used my phone alarm to wake me up this morning, and the sound worked just fine! dancedroid

ddraper

Reaction score
I have had mine exactly a week and I started to have the same problem yesterday. It occurred after they pushed Google Play and a few other updates down. Phone is not rooted. I have gotten the sound to come back on a few times but it eventually quits working.

I removed a widget that enables/disables bluetooth because it seemed like enable/disable of bt seemed to resolve the sound problem. I don't think that was the problem. I also removed a smart actions for testing purposes but I am not convinced they were the cause.

Shutdown and restart in safe mode did not seem to make a difference. A hard reset made the sound work again the first time I ran into the problem. The sound is currently working again right now. If I continue to have the problem it will be off to Verizon for a new phone.

edoublep

Reaction score
my Maxx is 24 hours old and it happeneed to me...BUT in my case, I figured it out. It seems to be hardware related. On the back, locate the wide slim speaker, just beneath that, on the plastic carbon fiber material, rub your finger left to right as if you're sealing an envelope. Mine fixed immediately!!! Good luck!

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I had my Maxx for almost two week and the external sound stopped working. I went so far to do a factory reset which did not help. I called and had a new phone coming and then my battery died two days later(started to heat up and not hold a charge). Weirdest thing. Getting my replacement tomorrow.

ddraper

Reaction score
Mine eventually quit working completely. I performed a factory reset and that did no good. I had to get a replacement.

It really irks me that I bought a brand new phone and it had problems when it was less than a week old. I returned it when it was less than 14 days old and Verizon gives me a refurb. That is just plain wrong and I thinking of filing a complaint with the state Attorney Generals office.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Mine eventually quit working completely. I performed a factory reset and that did no good. I had to get a replacement.

It really irks me that I bought a brand new phone and it had problems when it was less than a week old. I returned it when it was less than 14 days old and Verizon gives me a refurb. That is just plain wrong and I thinking of filing a complaint with the state Attorney Generals office.

Being it was with in the 14 days they should have given you a new one, once the 14 days are past then they could go refurb. Is your refurb phone working okay at least?