No Service runs Down Phone

Muddy_Buddy

Reaction score
There is little or no service in the building I work in. That is hassal, but the real issue is that my phone rapidly uses up its battery when it can not find digital service. I have assumed this is because its searching for analog service which uses lots of power. I know I can switch it to Airplane mode to avoid this issue, but is there a way to set up the phone so that it knows to go to airplane mode at a certain location, or to turn off the analog search after a short period unless over riddened?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure ( although seemingly advanced) tasker will do this. And much more.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

NoBloatware

Reaction score
You might want to check out Llama - Location Profiles, which is free in the market.

Another thing to try is using WIFI at the office if available. If you turn your WIFI sleep policy to never then the phone will favor WIFI over 3G even when the screen is off. Two caveats:
1) if WIFI sleep policy is set to never and you aren't around WIFI then you will be wasting some power
2) Theoretically, this only works for poor 3G signal. If you have no 1G either then your phone will be burning power trying to stay connected so that you can receive calls/texts (even if connected to WIFI)

OP
M

Muddy_Buddy

Reaction score
You might want to check out Llama - Location Profiles, which is free in the market.

Another thing to try is using WIFI at the office if available. If you turn your WIFI sleep policy to never then the phone will favor WIFI over 3G even when the screen is off. Two caveats:
1) if WIFI sleep policy is set to never and you aren't around WIFI then you will be wasting some power
2) Theoretically, this only works for poor 3G signal. If you have no 1G either then your phone will be burning power trying to stay connected so that you can receive calls/texts (even if connected to WIFI)

While my company has good fast WiFi coverage, we are not allowed to use it with private devices at all. It has real security, so I can not use it.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Bummer about the WIFI. Some other thoughts:

1) get a network extender from Verizon. Nah, I doubt that would be allowed in your case.
2) phone settings > Mobile networks > System select > Automatic selected
3) phone settings > Mobile networks > Network Mode > CDMA (in U.S.A.)
4) update PRLs by dialing *22899 monthly
5) keep phone plugged in at office
6) try to find a place at the office/on your desk with the strongest cellular signal and leave your phone in that spot