Toggle mobile data?

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
So I have the turbo, and when at school I turn on airplane mode to turn off mobile data. Then I can turn on wifi and enjoy that without having my phone searching for service. I can use wifi just fine, but cannot send or receive text messages over the wifi (others can). So what's up? Is it the airplane mode? Keep in mind I can still browse and use apps with Internet using data, not sure what to do.

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I think it depends on which text application you are using. I never use airplane mode, so I can't say for sure, but if others are getting texts using airplane mode that could be a reason.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I have a galaxy tab 4 that only has Wi-Fi, and I am able to get text messages on it, but I never put it in airplane mode.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I believe SMS sends through the cellular network, not Wifi. And unfortunately the mobile data square in the notifications shade doesn't have the long press functionality, so you'd have to open tap that, tap the on/off toggle, then dismiss the next pop up warning you that you won't have any data transmissions go through if you turn mobile data off. Are those "some others" iPhone users? iPhones using iMessage send through the data connection as well as WiFi. However for other Androids, I do not know. And it also depends on whether or not they're sending an SMS text, or sending messages through some other app that doesn't send SMS

You could look into an automation app to automatically set mobile data off during school hours, then it'll also automatically re-enable at the end of the school day if you set it up to do that. I personally use Tasker, but there are some others that are more straight forward.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If the phone is in airplane mode, you cannot receive text messages. @iiWoodstocK is correct SMS texts are sent and received using the cell signal and that is shut off in airplane mode. MMS texts (with pictures) need a 3G or 4G signal if it is a Verizon phone. Have you considered just turning off Mobile Data instead of Airplane Mode? You would still be able to send and receive SMS texts because the cell signal would still be on. You would not be able to receive picture texts (MMS) with Mobile Data off, but could receive normal texts.

OP
E

ethan_glaud

Reaction score
If the phone is in airplane mode, you cannot receive text messages. @iiWoodstocK is correct SMS texts are sent and received using the cell signal and that is shut off in airplane mode. MMS texts (with pictures) need a 3G or 4G signal if it is a Verizon phone. Have you considered just turning off Mobile Data instead of Airplane Mode? You would still be able to send and receive SMS texts because the cell signal would still be on. You would not be able to receive picture texts (MMS) with Mobile Data off, but could receive normal texts.

That explains a lot. On my old phone I could just turn off mobile data, but on this phone I don't see an option. Are there any apps that let me override the basic settings?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When you go to Settings > Data Usage > Is there a Mobile Data On/Off toggle or Checked / Unchecked option on the top right? That's where it has been on all of my previous Droids and my Samsung Note work phone. A friend of mine just bought a Turbo and was asking me where to see data usage, how to turn it off, etc. and pretty sure he said it was right there on his.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Here's a widget that you can put on your homescreen that claims to take out the extra steps.
Data Enabler Widget - Android Apps on Google Play

If it doesn't work, there are others. This was just the top-rated when I searched the Play Store.

My Note 4 has a toggle in the notification bar, so I haven't had need for anything like this.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
You can also use two fingers and swipe down from the top to get to some quick settings (or just swipe down with one finger then press the square in the top right corner) and some of these tiles you can long press to toggle on/off like WiFi, unfortunately for the Mobile Data tile you have to tap that to open the same menu @sajokaz mentioned. Some tiles that have a menu as well (from what i remember Wifi, BT, Location) require a long press to toggle, then the other tiles without a menu like Airplane mode you just have to tap once.