No phone sound / startup sound?

srhee

Reaction score
Hi, I tried searching but didn't find anyone else with this issue.

Today I've had to dial a phone call using the standard phone app on the droid, only when I pressed the buttons on screen, I got the vibration haptic feedback, but no numerical tone that would be expected of a regular phone when you press the numbers. Went to my settings and sure enough, both the numerical tone sound option is clicked ON, haptic feedback is set ON. So where is the sound? I check the ringer volume and media volume, they are not muted at all. The mp3 player works fine and my ringtones work fine, it just seems to be an issue with the phone app not producing the tones. So then I turned my droid off and on in hopes of resetting any glitch or error, but to no avail.

Then I started wondering, whenever I had to do a battery pull or otherwise turn my phone completely off then on, I also experienced no sound when the droid was starting up. Due to my experience with other motorola phones, I know that there is a little jingle or sound to let you know that the phone has been turned on. With my droid, no sound, just a vibration when the red eye appears on the screen.

Anybody with similar experiences? Suggestions? I hope I'm not the only one...:mad:

nite 0wl

Reaction score
Try going into Settings > Sounds and display and scroll down until you see a check box marked "Touch Tones".

If you want the key press (DTMF) tones check it off.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also if your phone managed to get into silent mode, or vibrate.. it will not make the noise also.

Trever1t

Reaction score
my Droid also makes no sound on startup or using the phone keypad with or without tones enabled. As matter of fact i get vibration whether or not feedback is enabled too.
My ringer volume is up :)

pilot25

Reaction score
I have had the same issue with all 4 Droids I have had. There must be a conflict with one of the apps. But I don't hear the droid noise on boot and the phone keys are very muted. They all had loud key tones before I installed any apps.

Jef

Reaction score
I've had this problem where the sound is muffled and not at full volume. A reboot usually solves it.

Maybe we should list what apps we installed to see if there is a common App?

bspill

Reaction score
Just noticed I'm having the same issue. Recently added apps include:
Where
Car Locator
Where's My Droid
Send2pdf
Quick Save
Screen Mode Widget

OP
S

srhee

Reaction score
I have also come to the conclusion that it is 3rd party app related... the phone tones were working fine when i FIRST got my phone... until then I've put on quite a few apps before ever having to use the phonepad, so it'll be kinda hard for me to backtrack and pinpoint any specific app... so here's a list of apps currently on my phone (they are all updated to their latest releases)...

Where (this app might be the issue)
AK Notebook
Bubble
Dockrunner
Favorite Recipes
Google Finance
Flashlight
Flip Clock
Google Sky
GPS Status
Handcent SMS
Movies
Moonphase
Newsrob
NYC Subways
Pandora
Ringdroid
Shopsaavy
Sportstap
Ultimate Stopwatch
USA Today
Weather Widgets

so far, the WHERE app is the only one I have in common with bspill who has the same issue... Anybody else?

Xerozix

Reaction score
as to the person above. I have just installed the Where? application and restarted my phone. The application had no problem with my startup sound.

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Just noticed I am in the same boat...

Only things I have installed is:
Google Voice
Google Sky Map
Weatherbug

I will delete one at a time and see what happens.

Xerozix

Reaction score
export your contacts to your SD card move the file ontoyour computer, and reformat your phone after removing your SD card.