No notifications?!?!

troila

Reaction score
So I just got my Ally and am liking it so far. At the verizon store, the salesgirl installed my Yahoo email for me in the back room, which I wasn't all sorts of crazy about when my phone started blinging and blonging all the time whenever I got an update from Facebook, not to mention the Facebook updates on the phone itself. Yikes!

All I wanted was to check my email when I felt like it, and not get fooled into thinking I had a text message, because there's no way to differentiate "text" notification sound from "email" notification sound. :p

So I went through my settings and tweaked anything that seemed like it would work. And it did, my Ally only makes noise when I'm getting a phone call now. But I want to know when I'm getting texts, too!!!

I have notifications set to on. I have all ringer volumes all the way up. I do have a ringtone set up for it that I put on my SD card from my computer, but like I said, it was working a couple days ago and driving me nuts.

I'll happily bring it back and just uninstall the Yahoo email app, if that's what it'll take... I just want a tone when I get my texts!!!

Help?

rebelrock56

Reaction score
You can easily disable the email notifications by going to: menu>settings>accounts & sync and turn the sync off on the email account listed. You can still check your email but it wont notify you every time you get a new email.

OP
T

troila

Reaction score
It's weird, it's an email icon with a little yellow letter coming out of the envelope, but that icon doesn't show in that sync menu you mention. But my main problem is not having any sounds happening when I get a text..

scoder

Reaction score
Go into messaging. Hit menu, settings, and change the notifications for messaging just how you want it.
Go to the e-mail app and follow the same steps.
Then go to system settings (settings from the app launcher), choose sounds, and change the notification options there. These general settings will apply to any apps' notifications that haven't been changed directly (like you did to messaging and e-mail), such as Talk and Gmail.

Hope this helps.

OP
T

troila

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I did a minute ago. I don't know if this was what did it, but I figure if it helps someone else, then yay!

So I unmounted the SD card, took it out, waited like 2 seconds, put it back in, and sent myself a test text. And it rang! Huzzah!

Boo812

Reaction score
dancedroid
I had the same issue. And that meant all night long as I go emails, I was getting notifactions waking me. I went into the main settings>Sound & Display>Notification Ringtones and set it at silent.
Then I selected the messages widget>menu button>settings>Notifications and selected the tone. This turned on the notifications for Text Messages ONLY.
OR
If you want to keep the main notifications on, you can just go to the email widget>menu button>acount settings>select ringtones>select silent. That will turn off notifications for the email only.