No network available, emergency calls only?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This has happened a couple times in the last week or so... I got this message when I tried to make a call. If I reboot the phone everything is fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

View attachment 57556

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Is that the Sim card icon in the status bar? I'm thinking maybe your Sim card has a problem, out maybe it's not mounted well

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
joshxdroid said:
Is that the Sim card icon in the status bar? I'm thinking maybe your Sim card has a problem, out maybe it's not mounted well

I'll second that.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Update: This is kinda funny ...

You were right Josh ... I went to the mall, and as I was leaving I got in my car and started to make a call, and got the error again. Well the mall is right next door to the Verizon store where I do all my phone business. So I decided to go and let them look at it since I was right there. I go in, and talked to a very lovely gal behind the counter. She tinkered with my phone for a bit, and she said "it appears to be your SIM card, I'm going to replace it, and it's free" so I said "cool beans".

I took the phone out of the case for her, and she powered down the phone and took the old SIM card out and put a new one in, and we made small talk while she did it. She entered some info into her computer, and then powered the phone on. When it came on, it had to go through activation again, and while it was activating a little box popped up that said "SetCPU has been granted Superuser permissions" ... she looked at me but she had a sly smile on her face. I didn't say a word. :icon_eek:

After it went through it's activation again, she tried to make a test call on it but she couldn't find my dialer or my apps drawer icon to do it, because I have it hidden. So I had to show her how to get to it, and it was all fixed after she made a test call. She told me "you're good to go" and she leaned over the counter and said "you do know that rooting your phone voids the warranty, right?" and I said "girl, everything I do in life voids some kind of warranty" ... she laughed and said "your secret is safe with me" and she winked at me.

Then she asked me if I have seen the Razr Maxx HD, and I told her I just got my Maxx in June and I'm a long way from upgrading, and she said "give a girl a chance, will ya?" and she took me over and showed me the Maxx`HD, with Jelly Bean on it, and she showed me all the features. So I just had to toss out there "can it be rooted?" and she laughed and said "I'm not allowed to answer that question, but rooting voids the warranty" and I replied "yeah, it's just a matter of time, it will get rooted"

I asked her a bunch of technical questions about the Maxx HD, and we talked alot about Jelly Bean, and she told me that YES, Jelly Bean will be coming out to the Maxx very soon. She said "you sure do know your phones" ... and I said "yeah but everything I know voids the warranty, I like to live life on the edge".

She gave me her card and told me if I wanted to switch to the Maxx HD to come see her. I think Imma play hard to get LOL :rofl3:

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I believe there is root available for the HD just not sure about unlocking the bootloader yet.

I would have tried to get the upgrade there on the spot since it seemed like she was offering. :)

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe there is root available for the HD just not sure about unlocking the bootloader yet.

I would have tried to get the upgrade there on the spot since it seemed like she was offering. :)

She told me I could add a line to get the HD and put my number on the HD and give my Maxx a new number ... but I don't need an extra line. I'm playing hard to get LOL :icon_ devil:

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
MattyP said:
She told me I could add a line to get the HD and put my number on the HD and give my Maxx a new number ... but I don't need an extra line. I'm playing hard to get LOL :icon_ devil:

Just don't play too hard to get.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I wish people in my verizon store were that nice. Everyone at my store is an ifanboy :eek:

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I'm actually impressed that she even knew superuser meant you were rooted. Most vzw salespeople i have ever felt with have had shockingly little knowledge about devices or Android

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I'm actually impressed that she even knew superuser meant you were rooted. Most vzw salespeople i have ever felt with have had shockingly little knowledge about devices or Android

She may be a tech geek and went and got a job at vzw to get the latest stuff first and be able to leak information to all of us:D

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
drew96dawg said:
She may be a tech geek and went and got a job at vzw to get the latest stuff first and be able to leak information to all of us:D

Or dumb as a rock and got a job there to find someone who could root a droid.

No insult towards you mattyP