Razr shuts itself down/reboots but only at home?

ncaron

Reaction score
Hello, got my Razr last week and I'm loving it so far except for one problem.

When I try to "open" my razr, often it will go through the whole boot process showing the motorola splash screen as if I had powered it off completely. Sometimes it will even boot all by itself a few times in a loop while it's just standing there on a table.

I've tried doing a complete reboot (holding sound down + power) and playing with various settings... I disabled all my "smart actions" and have uninstalled all applications I had installed on my razr and the problem still happens.

Now for the weird parts/details:
- The problem seems to be happening only when I'm at home.
- The problem does not seem to happen if the phone is plugged in and charging.

The fact that it seems to happen only at home has me wondering if it could be wifi related? When I'm at work, the phone is not connected to a wifi network.

Thanks for the help!

clayrebel

Reaction score
Have you tried clearing the cache on your phone?
The random rebooting was occurring on my Droid X1 and by clearing the cache it fixed it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Are you able to connect to another wifi network (away from home)...you are not using a tasker type app or battery saving app that has specific parameters when you are at home - are you?

OP
N

ncaron

Reaction score
clayrebel: How do I clear the cache on the droid razr? Sorry if this is a noob question, this is my first android phone.

smalltowngirl13: Haven't tried to connect to a wifi other than my home one. I will try to do so during lunch time today and see if I also have the problem. As far as apps that do something particular when I'm at home, I used to have a "smart action" for home that would only set my ringer to a certain level. But also suspecting this might be the cause of the problem, I disabled all my smart action and also uninstalled Juice Defender.

Thanks a lot for the help so far!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
N

ncaron

Reaction score
Well my razr has spend the last few hours connected to the wifi here at work without experiencing the problems. So it looks like the issue would not be related to being connected to a wifi network.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Do you have strong 3G service at home? Maybe not connect to wifi and see if the problem recurs tonight.

~it's not just a phone~

clayrebel

Reaction score
I use a basic cache cleaning app called "app cache cleaner".
You can download it free in the market and set is as a widget on one of your home screens.
With one press, it clears all stored cache. This should free up some memory on your phone.
You can also go into the app itself and see what is being stored as cache on your phone.

I'm not sure this app is "The Best", but its worked great for me so far.
No more random rebooting.

I clear the cache several times a day.
I hope this works for ya!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
N

ncaron

Reaction score
Well I did some more tests last night. I did not connect my razr to my home wifi for a few hours and the problem did NOT seem to happen.
Then this morning before coming to work, I connected it to my home wifi for about half an hour out of curiosity and BOOM problem was back.

So in summary:
- Problem SEEMS to happen only at home when connected to my home wifi
- Problem does not seem to happen when connected to other wifi
- Problem does not seem to happen at home when NOT connected to wifi

I will be out of town for the week end, but I will try connecting to my friend's home wifi to see if the problem happens there. I will try to come here and post my findings. really hoping I can find a solution to this...

I will also try clearing my cache when I come back home.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
What kind of wifi network do you have at home...N, G, etc...

~it's not just a phone~

OP
N

ncaron

Reaction score
@home it's a G if I remember correctly
not sure about work

westyjay

Reaction score
Bump.. did you find a fix ncaron ?

I seem to have the same problem. Wifi is fine at home, but at work, the phone reboots every 2 minutes on WiFi.

OP
N

ncaron

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates... I actually found a fix... I think. But I have no clue what it is.
The problem magically disappeared. Being of a curious nature I am now trying to get the problem back to understand what caused it and, hopefully, help anyone who faces it in the future.

Will keep you posted.