No more tethering fees?

Isaacthegamer

Reaction score
So, I use about 8GB a month on my phone, just using Netflix and Pandora. I rooted my phone before, but never tethered. A while back, I read that if Verizon catches someone using a tether, without paying the extra cost, they would charge them for the data plan and all the months prior. Something scary like that, so I never was willing to use it. Now, I see that 4G LTE phones can tether all they want and can no longer be charged a fee. Does anyone know if this also applies to 3G phones? I have a 3G phone, since I live in the country and 3G is all that is available here. Thanks!

Edit: I just found this article stating that Unlimited data plan customers, like myself, are still going to be charged a Hotspot fee to tether. So, I guess my question should be: have you heard anything about people getting caught tethering for free on unlimited plans? I guess maybe rooting my phone to watch a Roku box is not a viable option.

summertime_lovin

Reaction score
Bull~. I "upgraded" to a 4G phone, losing my unlimited data in the process. However, when I go into my wireless settings, and try to turn on tethering, it just forwards me to a VZW website that says I have to pay the monthly fee of $10 or something in order to use the tethering. The hell? I should be able to do whatever I want with the data I pay for-which is now LIMITED!

There ARE ways around it, rooting, apps and such, if you want to go behind VZW's back...^_^