Rooting/Tethering

a21shady

Reaction score
I read the sitcky thread about rooting and why it can be beneficial I some what understand it.

I also see that I can tether my phone to my Incredible but it will charge me a fee per month.

So I gather from the info provided that if I root my Droid Incredible that I can then tether my laptop via phone as the modem to connect to the internet and I will no longer be charged the fee since my phone is rooted??

If so then once the phone is rooted How do I tether it to my laptop?

Thanks for the help

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Root isn't needed for that, and--root access is in its very, very early phases. Not a lot can be done with it just yet. There is also a chance you can mess up your phone.

OP
A

a21shady

Reaction score
Root isn't needed for that, and--root access is in its very, very early phases. Not a lot can be done with it just yet. There is also a chance you can mess up your phone.

Thanks for the info. I read through how to root and i think I will currently pass untill a simplier way to root it is avilable. not too interested in paying 100 for a newphone. You say root is not needed tether to your laptop for free?? If not would you mind explaining how to do this or provide a link.

Thanks

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Check out pdanet on the market. It won't do https for free, but otherwise it will. Keep in mind its a violation against Verizon's TOS.

OP
A

a21shady

Reaction score
Great thanks. 2 different ones came up both free one called Easy Tether Lite has a paid app which allows for Https. Stupid question I am sure what are Https?

and just to be sure if i use this through this way I wont be charged verizon 30.00 fee for tehtering??

dahotz

Reaction score
https is secured sites like if you were going to buy something online, etc.

sdorn

Reaction score
Great thanks. 2 different ones came up both free one called Easy Tether Lite has a paid app which allows for Https. Stupid question I am sure what are Https?

and just to be sure if i use this through this way I wont be charged verizon 30.00 fee for tehtering??

Many people tether without getting charged, but there is no guarantee. Verizon can tell you are tethering if they really want to, and they can charge you much more than $30 for it if they really wanted. As I said though, a lot of people do it and don't get charged. You will probably be fine as long as you don't use a ton of data (like using it as your main internet connection for your laptop or downloading a lot of videos/music/other big files).

OP
A

a21shady

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help, Tried it out it works great. Nice to use on the long Trips

buenos

Reaction score
The main nice thing about rooting/tethering is that the rooted tether app is a wireless tether/hotspot type connection. so you can share it with others too. no need to connect your phone to a usb cord.... it the only reason i root....