No Market Application or Internet Coverage

dudebro

Reaction score
I rooted my Droid 2. Didn't know what i was doing foolishly. I downloaded Tanzanite ROM and it rebooted and now after "m" shows up for motorola a purple diamond spins and then a new homepage/launcher is used for my phone. its sweet in all but i have no App market or coverage that i am paying for. looking for help for a noob. how to either unroot or get back to stock homepage/launcher or get the market and coverage im paying for. any other questions as to what i've messed up please ask. i need help.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
You can't get into recovery, is that correct? Did you make a backup before flashing the rom? If so, flash your backup. If not, you may need rsd lite.

Swyped from a Droid

OP
D

dudebro

Reaction score
i have rebooted in recovery mode. what other recovery modes are there and where would i go to get there and i am not sure if i made a back up, probably not. if i did where would that be to flash it. and what is rsd lite. sorry for all the questions. first smart phone/and root.

SilverStrings

Reaction score
Fell down the same hole

Hey, did you figure this out? I'm also on my first root and also installed Tanzanite because it was one of the first ROMs coming up in ROM Manager. Now I'm experiencing the joys of a phone without 3G connection or many other smartphone features. Worst part is that the Market app cant install anything but would rather show a lovely "not enough space to install" message even though there is plenty of space available. This means that I cant even install ROM Manager and use the recovery option to get out of this nightmare :blink:

Is it possible to convince the Market app that there is enough space to install?

Is it possible to install ROM Manager without using the Market or any other apps that need to be installed through the Market?

Is it possible to just download the Froyo 2.2.1 update.zip file and install a brand new fresh OS from Recovery mode? Why is this plain Froyo zip file for Droid 2 so difficult to find online, where do I need to be looking?

*Luke*

Reaction score
Hopefully you made a backup first.

Unfortunately, Tanzanite does not have any 3g or GPS coverage. In the simplest terms I can explain it, Tanzanite was an attempt at making a full AOSP ROM (completely free of anything Moto), but the fallback to that is that some moto files are needed to make certain services work (ie - 3g and GPS). This is why none of the crucial services are working.

As far as ROM manager goes, im not familiar with the app as I use Koush's Bootstrap to get into clockwork recovery myself. Someone more familiar with ROM manager may be able to help you with this.

Basically there are two good options here. You could use ROM manager to boot into recovery and flash a backup if you made one, or you could do an SBF using RSD lite. There is a third option which I wouldn't recommend, and that would be downloading another ROM such as Liberty or Fission and flashing that.

There are a couple stickies at the top of the "Droid 2 Hacks" section of this forum that will give you some insight on how to sbf your phone (Specifically the Droid 2 Hacking/ROM install class), which would most likely be the best option.

I will say that Im not an expert by any means, but this is the best solution I could offer you. Im sure someone with a little more experience will probably chime in on this.

Lesson learned though, always do your research before flashing anything =) Don't panic though, one way or another, we'll help you get your phone straightened out

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

SilverStrings

Reaction score
Yea I made backups using ROM Manager and Titanium backup (probably didnt need to use both) and copied all the files to my PC for safekeeping

The thing is, I don't want to go to my backup because there were some annoying bugs showing up in my stock Froyo, most prominent of which was a New Voicemail notification that would not go away

I had installed ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery as well as Koush's bootstrap because the first 2 wouldnt work without it. Now when I go into Recovery Mode I just see the Android system recovery <3e> menu and while it gives the option to use update.zip it doesnt give the option to install from a .zip file which is why my attempt to flash to Apex ROM from Recovery Mode didn't work

Thanx for the advice Luke. I am going to either attempt to use ADB to install ROM Manager on Tanzanite or go the SBF/RSD Lite route

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Once you have bootstrap, throw rom mangler out the window. The best way is to download the rom with a pc, then transfer it to your sd. Then use bootstrap to boot into clockwork and flash the rom from recovery after a full wipe.

Swyped from a Droid

*Luke*

Reaction score
If you did make a backup, restoring that would probably be the way to go, provided you can get into clockwork recovery. If you cant get into it, a lot of times you can do a battery pull or two (with the phone still on) to get it to come up during the boot-up process when you power the phone back on. Clockwork will come up on its own during boot after a battery pull/power on, no need to hold x and the power button as this will give you the stock recovery every time which you don't want.

Once you flash your backup, then you can install a different ROM. I would recommend downloading Liberty or Fission via the forums here, or the new Gingerbread leak. All three are great!

SBF-ing back to stock, though, will only mean you have to re-root which is no big deal at all. The benefit of that will be starting over fresh.

Whichever route you choose to go, good luck sir! Keep us updated and let us know if you run into any problems or have any questions through the process

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

SilverStrings

Reaction score
Well after a lot of research I ended up teaching myself to use the Debug Bridge, finding the current version of ROM Manager as apk, installing it via ADB and flashing my recovery. I was impressed by the full restoration of my phone to the previous state.. does this always work, even when going across Android versions?

Although this was a good learning experience I feel as though ROM Manager should not give you the option to install ROMs that are as buggy as Tanzanite. On the ccroms site they do a good job of alerting you that this is a BETA ROM, if only ROM Manager also had such notices.. ah well. I have a functional phone again dancedroid

I will keep playing with ROMs, what's a good ROM for D2 that's stable and supported? Gingerbread and Liberty seem really new, I would wait a little while before flashing those. Is Fission stable?

Reaction score
I will keep playing with ROMs, what's a good ROM for D2 that's stable and supported? Gingerbread and Liberty seem really new, I would wait a little while before flashing those. Is Fission stable?

Fission hasn't been updated in awhile but that's not as big a deal as some people make it out to be, since it's been rock-solid throughout the entire time I had it on my phone. Liberty (which I currently use) has more customization features but I've experienced many reboots and freezes on it. The upcoming version 2.0 is reported to be a lot more stable, however.

OP
D

dudebro

Reaction score
really all i need is a sbf file. my phone is showing up on rsd lite with the moto driver. but ive treid about 6 sbf files and they are all fails. someone please send me a legit one

pjtx33

Reaction score
Tanzanite Problem for Droid 2 PLEASE HELP!!!

I backed up my current ROM and installed the Tanzanite (Froyo) beta from ROM manager and it wont get past the purple diamond!!! it's like its stuck on stupid!! Please Help!!!

SilverStrings

Reaction score
I backed up my current ROM and installed the Tanzanite (Froyo) beta from ROM manager and it wont get past the purple diamond!!! it's like its stuck on stupid!! Please Help!!!

Looks like another one fell for it. Having gone through the experience myself I'm now almost certain that Tanzanite is only an option in ROM manager to teach noobs about the risks involved with flashing new ROMs

Who needs a functional phone when you got a sweet spinning diamond anyway

pjtx33

Reaction score
Well thanks for the "very unhelpful uninformational post. Save ur comments if ya have nothing helpful to post please.

SilverStrings

Reaction score
Well thanks for the "very unhelpful uninformational post. Save ur comments if ya have nothing helpful to post please.

I already described how I solved the problem in Post 9 of this thread. If that doesn't work for you then hopefully somebody more experienced here can give you advice.

And my last post might prove to be quite useful if it catches the eye of another newbie before he accidentally falls into the Tanzanite pit. Did you climb out yet?