No data connection

jlambeth1

Reaction score
I am having issues with my 3G data connection and with wireless sometimes. Whenever I try to open an app that requires a data connection, when on 3G, the data connection dies. I've tried this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...blems-3g-data-dont-hard-reset-read-first.html and it hasn't helped. I've rebooted the phone several times and that does not help. Any suggestions? Also, my wifi connection will sometimes crap out when I open an app that requires a data connection? It is more random and I need any good suggestions on this as well.

OP
J

jlambeth1

Reaction score
Bumping this with an update and hope someone has some ideas. I ended up doing a factory reset which corrected the issue. I also took this time to root my phone. It worked for several hours and then it crapped out again. I did another factory reset this morning which brought it back again for who knows how long. I have a friend who is not rooted and she had the same problem and I factory reset her phone this morning which brought her 3G back to life. I am now past the return time frame for this phone and I love it except for this problem. I sure hope someone has some good ideas on how I can fix this.

OP
J

jlambeth1

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that all the apps that come with the phone access data with no problem. Every one that I have installed with the exception of droid-life kills the data connection when I launch the app.

digdug1

Reaction score
yea i called a cs rep about this issue and a factory reset is the only fix at this point but good news is it works!

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I am having issues with my 3G data connection and with wireless sometimes. Whenever I try to open an app that requires a data connection, when on 3G, the data connection dies. I've tried this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...blems-3g-data-dont-hard-reset-read-first.html and it hasn't helped. I've rebooted the phone several times and that does not help. Any suggestions? Also, my wifi connection will sometimes crap out when I open an app that requires a data connection? It is more random and I need any good suggestions on this as well.

Yeah hopefully they have a fix in the first software update. It I seen other threads regarding this as well, so there's definitely a issue for some of us out there. I will definitely post anything I find regarding 3G and wifi issues.

OP
J

jlambeth1

Reaction score
Thanks digdug1, but as I mentioned, I did the factory reset a few times and it still went out after a few hours. Thanks Larry, I'm glad you have seen my problem posted elsewhere. I tried a factory reset and not turning on wifi at all. That worked for a few hours then 3G died again. I did a factory reset once again and immediately did the ##778# stuff. It's been a few hours and I'm not going to turn on wifi and it is still up. I hope when I wake up in the morning that I still have 3G.

joewilly013

Reaction score
Sounds like you already selected rev A mode by doing the #778 thing. I am having the same issue as you- rev A more didn't fix it for me.

Try this- leave your TB in Rev A mode, and also change your modem settings to CDMA auto prl (phone info app, as mentioned in other threads).

So far, this finally seems to be the fix for me (note that I'm on a 3G/4G border). When I drive into the 4G area, I just put the phone back in 3G/4G mode.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
J

jlambeth1

Reaction score
Sounds like you already selected rev A mode by doing the #778 thing. I am having the same issue as you- rev A more didn't fix it for me.

Try this- leave your TB in Rev A mode, and also change your modem settings to CDMA auto prl (phone info app, as mentioned in other threads).

So far, this finally seems to be the fix for me (note that I'm on a 3G/4G border). When I drive into the 4G area, I just put the phone back in 3G/4G mode.

Yeah, I did the ##778# thing in my latest attempt. I have not turned my wifi on once since my last factory reset and ##778# fix. It has been coming up on 24 hours since I did this and have not lost my 3G yet. I've also done the phone info thing to turn off my 4G since I'm not in 4G land. I'm not gonna change a thing and keep my fingers crossed that this keeps me up and running. This is the longest I've had 3G since my problems first started a few days ago. I'll keep everyone updated.

OP
J

jlambeth1

Reaction score
Just thought I would update those interested. I'm at around 3 days and still have not lost my data connection. I still haven't turned on wifi just to be on the safe side. I think I'm about to make a backup of this since I'm restless and want to try out a ROM and get off the stock stuff. If I get screwed again, I'll just go to my backup until HTC fixes stuff with an update.

Screwbal

Reaction score
Anyone else had issues and had the hard reset fix them? I think I may be having issues or just really crappy service at home is to blame. Don't want to go down the hard reset mode and start from scratch unless this has really been fixing the wifi non wifi switch and data connectivity

MadScientist

Reaction score

Yeah, I did the ##778# thing in my latest attempt. I have not turned my wifi on once since my last factory reset and ##778# fix. It has been coming up on 24 hours since I did this and have not lost my 3G yet. I've also done the phone info thing to turn off my 4G since I'm not in 4G land. I'm not gonna change a thing and keep my fingers crossed that this keeps me up and running. This is the longest I've had 3G since my problems first started a few days ago. I'll keep everyone updated.

I've done the ##778# trick on both of my thunderbolt and have since switched multiple time to WiFi and back. No problems whatsoever after the fix with data connectivity.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

OP
J

jlambeth1

Reaction score

I've done the ##778# trick on both of my thunderbolt and have since switched multiple time to WiFi and back. No problems whatsoever after the fix with data connectivity.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Wish that was the same for me. After backing up my set up, I might turn wifi on again to see if it is what has hosed my 3G. So far, that is the only thing that I can come up with that is killing my 3G connection.

Tcoffin88

Reaction score
My bionic has recently been saying "no data connection" while trying to retrieve emails. Please help

Iyaman

Reaction score
same here

I've been having the same exact problem. My fascinate worked fine here but the bionic SUCKS. I spend half my time not having connection.... every bionic user I've talked to has the SAME PROBLEM!!!

scdown

Reaction score
what's in your status bar? 3G? 4G? Wifi? what signal strength? are you getting anything by way of signal?

There is a known issue with 4g-3g handoffs where you'll get a 3g symbol, but no network connectivity - you can try putting it into airplane mode, waiting a few seconds for it to take, and taking it out of airplane mode and seeing what happens?