No 4G at all.....

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I see threads on 4g not as good on S3 and 3g/4g switching threads but..... I have not gotten 4g on this S3 yet, Anywhere.
I wanted to wait untilI did the normal FDR's, off/on, Battery removal, AirPlane mode AND drive to at least 4 known 4G urban areas.
Did all of the above.

Have not gotten a 4G signal once.

I checked the setting it is in the top (default) position, I think its called EHRPD

AnythingI am missing? Solutions?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Are you on the edge of a 4G area, or somewhere that there's weak 4G signal?

With my first few days with the S3, I didn't get a 4G signal at all in an area on the edge of 4G coverage where my MAXX, Rezound, Nexus, Bionic, and Charge all got 4G about half the time (although the Nexus and the Charge dropped signal constantly). I was worried that something was wrong with the phone. I then was finally able to get into an area with strong 4G, and it picked up 4G just fine.

In my experience, in areas of weak 4G, the S3 opts to stay with 3G in order to try to avoid constantly dropping the 4G signal (the Nexus and the Charge were always dropping 4G, as well as 3G, for me). My guess is that this was a conscious choice in an effort to maintain a steady connection. With the Phone Info app, you can easily force your S3 into LTE-only mode. I did this when I was worried that 4G wasn't working, and in the weak area I was in, it connected to 4G. But the reception was quite poor, with 4G cutting in and out constantly. I could then see why the phone was opting to stick with 3G, and that helped put my mind at ease a bit.

The reception on the S3, like the reception on all Samsung devices in my experience, isn't as strong as devices from some other manufacturers. I think in the design process, Samsung was aware of that, so the phone is set to stick with 3G if the 4G signal is weak in order to provide a more consistent experience. In areas of strong 4G, I haven't had any issues with it dropping back to 3G.

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I suspected the programming factor so I waited until I was present dead center of Major 4G areas (4 of them) asked my Wife (who has a Samsung, older model) "What signal do you have?" In each case she was 4g all the time we were in the areas.
My S3 stayed 3g and most of the time a weak 3g signal.

I am starting to think I have an aura issue, I have a brother that can't wear watches. They simply cease to function on his wrist.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Definitely doesn't seem normal to me. In strong 4G areas, I've had no problem getting and maintaining a 4G connection. And in weak 4G areas, I've consistently had good 3G connections. While the reception hasn't been up to Motorola or HTC for me, I've been pleasantly surprised by the reception on the S3. It's been solid (unlike every other Samsung Android device I've had).

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try and call Verizon Tech Support and see what happens. I've already done all the things I know they will want to try.

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Tried that. No good. They seem to think try a new SIM card ......

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Tried that. No good. They seem to think try a new SIM card ......

Sometimes the problem is the SIM card. Have you already tried a new one & it didn't help? Even if you have, a new SIM won't cost you anything. It's worth a shot.

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Orighty Update-

Back from the store and two(2) SIM cards later phone now connects to 4g.

I asked why tech support could not explain why my phone keeps defaulting to EHRPD rather than LTE as you would expect a 4g phone to do.
Tech support said it was probably the same problem - try a SIM card.
Went to the store and their tech dpt guys all gathered around the phone because they first didn't believe it and second said they had never seen it before.
Thirdly, when it did do it - had no explanation.
Store is not located in a 4g area so on the drive back to the office - It connected to 4g and held the connection so, SIM card it was.
As for the EHRPD that no one in Verizon knows what it is, apparently it is a "bridge" technology that allows data packets to be handed off from CDMA to LTE (3g/4g) switches.
That is my lay understanding, obviously Bsweetness will know more about that I just found it interesting that half a day later no one in Verizon (store or in Tech support) seemed to know what that was and why my phone defaults to it even when I select LTE, if I shut my device down and power it up it is back to EHRPD but is connected to 4g.

Now I wonder IF with the new SIM card that connects to 4g I might get better reception overall?

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Glad you got things up and running!

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Glad you got things up and running!

Thanks Man, me too! I actually really have grown to like this phone. I put it in a case (INCIPIO) I like the feel and weight. The phone itself is smooth and quick and I do like the UI (really don't see aspects not to like)
Keeping fingers crossed.:biggrin:

melonline

Reaction score
Verizon shows me to be in there 4g area, but I can't even get but one bar 3g, or1x.

I have never had the phone connect but once to 4g and since then it never has. Is there a way to turn it on and off? Samsung G S 3

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have never had the phone connect but once to 4g and since then it never has. Is there a way to turn it on and off? Samsung G S 3

There isn't a way to turn 3G or 4G off in the settings, but you can access a hidden menu to turn either off using the Phone Info app from the Play store. Take a look at this post that talks about it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Man you s3 guys are making it tough... I walked from the phone a couple of days ago.. and now all of this and the unlocked boot loader.. I don't root... so that means very little to me.. but.... GRRRRR...:banghead::D;)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Man you s3 guys are making it tough... I walked from the phone a couple of days ago.. and now all of this and the unlocked boot loader.. I don't root... so that means very little to me.. but.... GRRRRR...:banghead::D;)

Coming from a fellow Motorola lover, it's a fantastic device. You wouldn't regret giving it a shot. :)

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I was and still am a devout Motorola guy (love their devices) Loved ALL my Moto's all the way up through my Maxx but no regrets having/using/playing with this phone.
It (IMO) is more "Fun" than phones I have had.

Now that the SIM card issue was solved ..... it has been more fun yet.