NFG questions and comments

Droidapad

Reaction score
I have been looking around on this site for about a month or so. I finally registered today and made up my mind to root my phone. Before I undertake the task of rooting, thank you for all the posts and sticky's about rooting and the 2.2 upgrade, I have used the search option for "nandroid backup" and found nothing. I want to be able to put my phone back to 2.1 factory if I encounter a problem or this phone takes a dump. I am still under warranty and this is my second Eris. More on the life of my first Eris some other time. WHAT A PIECE OF crap! Anyways, can someone please send me the link or tell me how to make a "backup" of the factory 2.1. One more question, I received an iPad from my girl for Christmas and mainly want to teather my iPad to my Eris. Do I have to flash the Froyo rom or can I teather just being rooted? Thank you and Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A NAND back up is a "snapshot" of your phone's complete OS. It is used to fix MOST problems you will encounter, if and when things go wrong. The only down side is you have to have root to make a NAND back up.
As far as returning your phone to stock, there are stock ROMs that will revert you to a pre root version of android on your phone, if you ever need to fully return to stock. They are listed in the ROM stickey thread.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around on this site for about a month or so. I finally registered today and made up my mind to root my phone. Before I undertake the task of rooting, thank you for all the posts and sticky's about rooting and the 2.2 upgrade, I have used the search option for "nandroid backup" and found nothing. I want to be able to put my phone back to 2.1 factory if I encounter a problem or this phone takes a dump. I am still under warranty and this is my second Eris. More on the life of my first Eris some other time. WHAT A PIECE OF crap! Anyways, can someone please send me the link or tell me how to make a "backup" of the factory 2.1. One more question, I received an iPad from my girl for Christmas and mainly want to teather my iPad to my Eris. Do I have to flash the Froyo rom or can I teather just being rooted? Thank you and Cheers!

First, you don't need to be rooted to tether via USB (assuming the iPAD has usb ports). You just need a program like PDANET (market) or TetherDroid (their website).

If you want to wirelessly tether then you need to root.

As far as nandroid, as far as I know you can't take a back-up prior to rooting. Nandroid is run from recovery window, and in order to do that you need to be rooted. Look through some of the information here but as far as I know there is no way to unroot.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
A NAND back up is a "snapshot" of your phone's complete OS. It is used to fix MOST problems you will encounter, if and when things go wrong. The only down side is you have to have root to make a NAND back up.
As far as returning your phone to stock, there are stock ROMs that will revert you to a pre root version of android on your phone, if you ever need to fully return to stock. They are listed in the ROM stickey thread.

First, you don't need to be rooted to tether via USB (assuming the iPAD has usb ports). You just need a program like PDANET (market) or TetherDroid (their website).

If you want to wirelessly tether then you need to root.

As far as nandroid, as far as I know you can't take a back-up prior to rooting. Nandroid is run from recovery window, and in order to do that you need to be rooted. Look through some of the information here but as far as I know there is no way to unroot.

I stand corrected! There you go.

OP
D

Droidapad

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for all the feed back. I went ahead and jumped into the rooted pool. I just want to say it went flawless. As far as I can tell. It was far harder to actually commit to performing the root itself. The whole process took less than 10 minutes and seemed in install correctly once I checked the install with Terminal Emulator. Got the # symbol. I had to enter SU three times before it said #. The two before said access denied. I hope this is normal. I installed wireless tether for rooted phones and connected my iPad to try it. It was very fast. I could hardly tell a difference from my home wifi and the Eris. By they, I'm not getting an extra bill from Verizon right? Ha! Anyways, I was going to stop with just the root and wireless tether but I've made my mind up to flash a ROM!!! Could't wait to get home and make this happen........So, I'm thinking the KaosFroYo v36 or v37. Any input on what you pros think? After all, I am the NFG! Thanks again for all the help and great articles for helping us new guys. Cheers!

OP
D

Droidapad

Reaction score
One other thing. I would like to back up all my apps on my phone before I wipe it. What should I use? I have done many wipes to factory in the past with my original Eris. The one I have now is a replacement and seems to be ok. It gets really slow at times and freezes. I even have ATK and the available memory quickly drops to 30-40. I hope I can get rid of ATK once the new ROM is flashed. Also hoping that my phone will work smoothly and not freeze.

mamawm

Reaction score
both lonewolfarcher and bobdammit are both more knowledgeable than i am, but i'll give you my 2 cents worth. first, if you don't have astro installed yet,get it from the market (free). open astro, hit menu and select tools. one of your options will be application mamager/backup, select that and from there you're all set. just pick whatever apps you want stored on your sd card. after you've wiped your phone, just go back into astro and do the same thing, but this time you can choose which apps you want to reinstall on the phone.

now as far as telling you which rom you should choose, that's strictly personal choice.
that would be like telling you ice cream had to be your favorite dessert. maybe it's really good,but i like chocolate pie. roms are like that, all good, just depends on what you like better. personally, i'm a huge fan of xtrrom. love the stability. here's a link to most of the roms from xda. just do your homework and you'll find what's best for you.
[READ FIRST] Eris Roll-up Thread - xda-developers

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
both lonewolfarcher and bobdammit are both more knowledgeable than i am, but i'll give you my 2 cents worth. first, if you don't have astro installed yet,get it from the market (free). open astro, hit menu and select tools. one of your options will be application mamager/backup, select that and from there you're all set. just pick whatever apps you want stored on your sd card. after you've wiped your phone, just go back into astro and do the same thing, but this time you can choose which apps you want to reinstall on the phone.

now as far as telling you which rom you should choose, that's strictly personal choice.
that would be like telling you ice cream had to be your favorite dessert. maybe it's really good,but i like chocolate pie. roms are like that, all good, just depends on what you like better. personally, i'm a huge fan of xtrrom. love the stability. here's a link to most of the roms from xda. just do your homework and you'll find what's best for you.
[READ FIRST] Eris Roll-up Thread - xda-developers

The only thing mamawm said here that I disagree with him on is that I am more knowledgeable than he is. This is dead on advice!