Nexus 6 on Verizon Questions?

Downtime

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered before. I've tried searching both the site and google but could not find an easy answer.

So a family member has an upgrade they don't want to use with Verizon. Knowing that tomorrow they will be removing their contracts, I am thinking I should use it and want the Nexus 6. Are there negatives to getting the Verizon version of the Nexus 6? I saw that initially it was on a different version of Android, but has this been corrected? Are updates still held up by the big red?

Also if I wanted to try switching to Project Fi in the future, will the Verizon phone be capable of doing so? Essentially, I'm just seeing if there are any or enough cons to warrant not getting the phone via Verizon through the subsidized contract plan. Any comments or input is greatly appreciated, especially being that I need to make the decision by tonight.

Thanks.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Apologies if this has been answered before. I've tried searching both the site and google but could not find an easy answer.

So a family member has an upgrade they don't want to use with Verizon. Knowing that tomorrow they will be removing their contracts, I am thinking I should use it and want the Nexus 6. Are there negatives to getting the Verizon version of the Nexus 6? I saw that initially it was on a different version of Android, but has this been corrected? Are updates still held up by the big red?

Also if I wanted to try switching to Project Fi in the future, will the Verizon phone be capable of doing so? Essentially, I'm just seeing if there are any or enough cons to warrant not getting the phone via Verizon through the subsidized contract plan. Any comments or input is greatly appreciated, especially being that I need to make the decision by tonight.

Thanks.
I still love my Nexus 6, and though I bought it from Motorola, and there was a delay with the OTA 5.1 update (while Verizon was making up their mindas to how to handle the devices that were purchased through Motorola or Google Play), the 5.1.1 update came through OTA quickly, so yes, I'm on the correct update path. IMHO the Nexus 6 is a fantastic device and has worked flawlessly for me, YMMV.

As for Project Fi, depending on when you wanted to leave Verizon, if under contract there would be the ETF. Though, and I'm not 100% certain on this, you could sign up for Project Fi, then insert the SIM from Google to give it a ride.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Here's my 2¢. If you're into flashing your own roms & firmware then the Nexus 6 is the phone for you. If you don't and will rely on Verizon for updates then the Nexus 6 is still a good phone. But it probably won't get the updates in a reasonable time.

As for Project Fi, it's my understanding the we will need to flash that firmware to our phones. At least thats how I intend on doing it. I haven't came across anything that says Project Fi will update the Nexus 6 with an OTA

Tapped from a Nexus 6

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Wug's Root Tool Kit and update to the latest firmware using his tool kit, my 64 GB white Nexus 6 works like a charm "I am with Verizon", I never use the OTA update. According to Verizon this is a non Verizon phone "which is fine by me, no Verizon bloatware", my updates come directly from Google, not Verizon. It's also rooted and unlocked using Wugs toolkit, which let's tethering to my Tablet or any other device with one click, foxfi does not work with Motorola devices.