Nexus 5 Gets Slight Hardware Refresh with Improved Buttons & Larger Speaker Holes

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus5-hardware-tweaks-comparison.png

Google and LG have been doing some tweaking on the physical characteristics of the Nexus 5. According to several reports, there is a hardware refresh already out for the device that is shipping on the most current models. The differences are very subtle so it isn't likely to cause any "version envy" amongst early adopters. The only "fixes" are to the speaker holes and the buttons.

As you can barely make out in the pics above, the speaker holes are now larger. Also, the power and volume buttons are more rigid than before (although that's next to impossible to determine in a photograph). Additionally, the SIM tray fits more flush with the surface of the phone. Overall these changes are meant as simple tweaks to make up for some of the complaints of wiggly buttons, muffled volume and the protruding SIM tray. There was also an additional report that this new version's display has a slightly stronger yellow color, although that hasn't been corroborated. This could simply be attributed to a color anomaly in that specific user's model.

What do you guys think? Are any of these changes significant enough that you wish you had a waited for this later model?

Source: AndroidPolice via GoogleNexusForum

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense unless they're replacing the "older" devices w/the new design....

You'll still have the same people mad, with newer folks not caring because their version is fixed

jamjr74

Reaction score
Im sure those with defective devices can file an rma for an exchange if they are having issues. I ordered on day 1 and my device is fine, no issues.

i2ollingstone

Reaction score
Im sure those with defective devices can file an rma for an exchange if they are having issues. I ordered on day 1 and my device is fine, no issues.

Same with me. My buttons are fine and never had a speaker issue. I don't have any qualms with my SIM tray and I'm rocking the spigen case with the clear back anyway. I do find it odd that they were so rushed on this that they couldn't figure out the glue issue earlier or why speaker holes aren't just automatically as big as aesthetically pleasing. The only unforseen letdown I have with it is that I didn't realize an unlocked phone from the Play Store would mean no T-mobile wifi calling. Viber and Viber-Out calling is saving the day with that though.