Nexus 5 2nd-Gen Might Come with a Fingerprint Sensor

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-Nexus-5-2015-LG-G5-said-to-come-with-LGs-new-fingerprint-recognition-technology.jpg

Earlier this morning we shared a video that is supposedly the prototype for the Huawei made Nexus 6 Android smartphone. One of the more intriguing features revealed in the video was a fingerprint sensor on the back. According to some newly leaked intel, the next gen Nexus 5 might have that feature as well.

The Korea Herald claims unnamed sources confirmed that LG is working on a fingerprint sensor for the Nexus 5 2015 edition. This new fingerprint tech will supposedly be designed to work directly with Android Pay which will be a big focus for Android M. Not much else of relevance was shared in the report, but we will keep an eye out for any confirmation of this intriguing news.

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Actually looking forward to the 2015 N5.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Considering Google is integrating fingerprint scanners into Android, it should be expected for them to display the tech on their next Nexus phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm very interested to see what these OEMs do with the next Nexi overall, but I'm really hoping they don't keep the 5 and 6 names. I realize that those names kind of lend themselves to the screen size, but I hope they come up with something else.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Actually a fingerprint reader is a great enhancement/upgrade, IMHO. It speeds access to the phone, reduces or eliminates the need to remember passwords if you use a password utility that takes advantage of the reader, and it can be potentially far more secure than a password since the actual password behind the fingerprint can be a very long string of ascii characters. Of course, someone can cut off your finger and use it to access your phone but that's highly unlikely a scenario unless you are a very high level official or top executive to a major corporation and carry classified information or trade secrets on your phone.

As for the government monitoring issue, look, you're logging into your phone anyway, you're using it on accounts that are linked to you already, you're sending and receiving emails, texts, pictures and videos of yourself and your friends to others, and they are GPS marked often times. If you don't want the government to know what you're doing in this society, you really have to dump nearly all technology. I don't think that adding a fingerprint reader is going to add to the monitoring.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually a fingerprint reader is a great enhancement/upgrade, IMHO. It speeds access to the phone, reduces or eliminates the need to remember passwords if you use a password utility that takes advantage of the reader, and it can be potentially far more secure than a password since the actual password behind the fingerprint can be a very long string of ascii characters. Of course, someone can cut off your finger and use it to access your phone but that's highly unlikely a scenario unless you are a very high level official or top executive to a major corporation and carry classified information or trade secrets on your phone.

As for the government monitoring issue, look, you're logging into your phone anyway, you're using it on accounts that are linked to you already, you're sending and receiving emails, texts, pictures and videos of yourself and your friends to others, and they are GPS marked often times. If you don't want the government to know what you're doing in this society, you really have to dump nearly all technology. I don't think that adding a fingerprint reader is going to add to the monitoring.
Too many MI movies I see, LOL.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The finger print reader is the coolest most recent addition in tech on a mobile phone that I can think of. I love it.